Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How M. Faithfull's nipples became a work of art (Read 1,512 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
How M. Faithfull's nipples became a work of art
May 14th, 2008 at 9:54am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
How Marianne Faithfull's nipples became a work of art
Stephen Dalton
May 14, 2008

The shiny silver torso is a pure, beautiful, mysterious homage to the famous muse who inspired it. Abstract and geometric, it looks barely human. For years, the artist kept his model's identity secret. Only the nipples, cast directly from source, give any clues. But decades would pass before they were revealed as belonging to the rock diva Marianne Faithfull.

The sculptor Clive Barker is known for his witty chrome and bronze replicas of household objects and pop-culture icons, from fridges and cakes to Mickey Mouse and Homer Simpson. A former Vauxhall factory worker from Luton, Barker is an unassuming 67-year-old who makes no grandiose claims for his work. But critics have credited him with pioneering the lustrous, supersized kitsch style popularised by Jeff Koons years later.

As Swinging London insiders in the 1960s, Faithfull and Barker moved in similar circles. Her first husband, John Dunbar, co-owned the chic Indica Gallery, that epicentre of grooviness where John Lennon met Yoko Ono. Barker also exhibited at the Robert Fraser Gallery. Fraser was infamous himself, having been arrested at the notorious Redlands drug bust with Faithfull and her boyfriend at the time, Mick Jagger.

Barker first took a shine to Faithfull, literally and metaphorically, in 1974. They became lovers, long after she left Jagger and sank into drug addiction. When he suggested making a cast of her breasts, it was all in the best possible taste. Naturally.

“I was rather flattered,” the 61-year-old singer recalls in that gloriously pockmarked, smokedamaged voice. “It was a good line, I suppose. A good seduction line.”

Their relationship was clandestine, and Faithfull still seems coy about it today. “We had a little love affair,” she says carefully. “We weren't really a couple. Nobody knew who the model was; that's only just come out. That's the customary thing to do anyway, to not talk about the model.”

Barker had another, more practical reason for keeping his muse's identity secret. He was, after all, trying to conceal his adulterous affair from his wife of the time. But she must have twigged, I suggest, when he made further sculptures of his lover's breasts and head, explicitly identifying them as belonging to Faithfull.

“Those were done later, in the 1980s,” Barker says. “Everybody knew by then. To be honest, I think my wife knew at the time anyway. People always know, no matter how much you try and pull the wool over their eyes.”

Barker's torso of Faithfull is currently on show as part of Post-War to Pop at Whitford Fine Art gallery, in London, alongside works by Patrick Heron, Allen Jones and many more. The exhibition charts the period, particularly during the 1960s, when painters and sculptors began to become media celebrities in their own right.

Rock and visual art have long been natural bedfellows, of course. As Barker remarks, British pop was born in art school - Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, John Lennon, David Bowie, Bryan Ferry and Jarvis Cocker are just a few art students who later found pop fame.

Although they remain friends, Faithfull and Barker have not met in person for years. He stayed in London, while she now lives between Paris and Dublin. But this story does not end in 1974. Ten years after their first split, they had another brief affair, in 1984.

“She came round to make a telephone call and ended up staying for months,” Barker recalls, laughing. “Which was very Marianne.”

Post-war to Pop, Whitford Fine Art, London SW1 (020-7930 9332), May 22-June 20

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Re: How M. Faithfull's nipples became a work of ar
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2008 at 9:31pm
Quote:
When he suggested making a cast of her breasts, it was all in the best possible taste. Naturally.

Best possible taste, my ass.  That is hilarious.   Grin Grin Grin Blank Frigging Stare

IP Logged

Marty
Rocks Off Regular

Time is on my side

paris, france
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2008 at 6:14am
It has nothing to do with her nipple, but according to an article I read a few days ago, she calls the Beatles "the muppets of rock'n'roll" in her autobiography... 
:funny

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2008 at 10:32am
Most ridiculous piece of art I've ever seen.  Ouch!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Trey Krimsin
Rocks Off Regular

Slots Rule You Bastards!!!!!!

Thomasville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2008 at 10:58am
I have one question for this piece of art:

WHY?

It's just that demon life, it got me in its sway - MJ/KR

My first published comic work can be found here! And this is only the beginning...:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/comics/the-gathering-faithtime-travel/

[img]
WWW https://www.facebook.com/rodney.traynham Trey+Krimsin  
IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2008 at 5:47pm
they call that art?  give me a break.

Interesting stuff Ronnie!

IP Logged

the juf
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2008 at 11:15am
they look like mine.....

IP Logged

TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
Reply #7 - May 20th, 2008 at 7:51pm
High dollar nips.  What the fuck?

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

vox12string
Rocks Off Regular

Australia
Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2008 at 11:35am
Breasts without nipples are pointless...

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2008 at 11:27pm
Nipples without breasts are ugly.  Let's go get drunk

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)