Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people: (Read 4,534 times)
steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people:
May 13th, 2008 at 3:18pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Tue May 13, 9:02 AM ET

:youmademecrylikeababy LONDON (AFP) - Albert Einstein described belief in God as "childish superstition" and said Jews were not the chosen people, in a letter to be sold in London this week, an auctioneer said Tuesday.

The father of relativity, whose previously known views on religion have been more ambivalent and fuelled much discussion, made the comments in response to a philosopher in 1954.

As a Jew himself, Einstein said he had a great affinity with Jewish people but said they "have no different quality for me than all other people".

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this," he wrote in the letter written on January 3, 1954 to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, cited by The Guardian newspaper.

The German-language letter is being sold Thursday by Bloomsbury Auctions in Mayfair after being in a private collection for more than 50 years, said the auction house's managing director Rupert Powell.

In it, the renowned scientist, who declined an invitation to become Israel's second president, rejected the idea that the Jews are God's chosen people.

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions," he said.

"And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people."

And he added: "As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

Previously the great scientist's comments on religion -- such as "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" -- have been the subject of much debate, used notably to back up arguments in favour of faith.

Powell said the letter being sold this week gave a clear reflection of Einstein's real thoughts on the subject. "He's fairly unequivocal as to what he's saying. There's no beating about the bush," he told AFP.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen peop
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2008 at 5:02pm
another self-hating jew...........

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2008 at 5:47pm
the cross ron wood was wearing during the shine a light movie was awesome.  i believe he is a believer.

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #3 - May 13th, 2008 at 5:53pm
this makes much more sense to me than his e=mc² !

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2008 at 6:00pm
Yeah sure, god's chosen.  Where I went to school, most of them guys couldn't even get picked for kickball.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2008 at 6:09pm
The greatest graffiti that I ever read was on the wall in a men's room in Athens, Georgia.

It read-

"God is dead-Nietzsche"

"Nietzche is dead-God"

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2008 at 8:03pm
Riffhard wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 6:09pm:
The greatest graffiti that I ever read was on the wall in a men's room in Athens, Georgia.

It read-

"God is dead-Nietzsche"

"Nietzche is dead-God"

Riffy

the best graffiti line i ever read in a mans stall.

you know how the door never reaches the floor...well, there were 2 magic marker arrows pointing towards the floor and the caption line read,   caution, limbo dancers.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2008 at 8:06pm
God Bless War horses couldn't drag me away Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED) Albert Blank Frigging Stare

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

chris girard
Rocks Off Regular

Blues lover

Retired & happy
Reply #8 - May 13th, 2008 at 8:42pm
Do you really believe that god came down from heaven and spoke to a tribe of desert nomads. What about all the other "chosen people" god has talked to. I find it interesting that god only talks to people in the desert in the mid-east and not oriental people in Japan or black people in Africa or south american people. There is no god, it's a made up way for the those in power to keep everyone in line.

You rock!
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2008 at 9:24pm by chris girard »  

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2008 at 8:51pm
chris girard wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 8:42pm:
Do you really believe that god came down from heaven and spoke to a tribe of desert nomads. What about all the other "chosen people" god has talked to. I find it interesting that god only talks to people in the desert in the mid-east and not oriental people in Japan or black people in Africa or south american people. There is not god, it's a made up way for the those in power to keep everyone in line.

You rock!

If it's ok by you Chris I'm gonna continue to believe and pray to God. You cool with that? I mean if I'm wrong then when I die I will have nothing to lose. You on the other hand may well be screwed.

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #10 - May 13th, 2008 at 8:56pm
Oy Riffy, religion too? 

So what''s going to happen to poor Chris?  Take the wrong exit off the turnpike and end up in Newark?  (It's happened to me.  And it kind of seemed like, well, you know.)

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2008 at 9:05pm
Zack wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 8:56pm:
Oy Riffy, religion too?  

So what''s going to happen to poor Chris?  Take the wrong exit off the turnpike and end up in Newark?  (It's happened to me.  And it kind of seemed like, well, you know.)

Oh Zack give it a rest! The guy makes an insanley judgmental comment on what he does not believe and in the same post he belittles everyone that is a believer. I'm not gonna sit around and have some athiest cast judgement on me. Don't want to believe? I could really care less. Good for you, but don't you fucking dare try and belittle my faith! You jump on me?!?!?!!!! Did you even fucking read Chris' post?! Did you not find it a little bit judgemental? Because you'd have to be blind not to see it that way. That's exactly what he was trying to do. Chris has got it all figured out. Billions of people around the world are just too stupid to figure out what Chris figured out years ago.

Riffy
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2008 at 9:14pm by Riffhard »  

IP Logged

chris girard
Rocks Off Regular

Blues lover

Retired & happy
Reply #12 - May 13th, 2008 at 9:19pm
Riffy/Zak--I would  never try to make people think the way I do or even try to convince them I am right. I respect you and what you believe, always will.

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2008 at 9:21pm
chris girard wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 9:19pm:
Riffy/Zak--I would  never try to make people think the way I do or even try to convince them I am right. I respect you and what you believe, always will.

Then we're cool. The same goes for me btw with regards to the religion question.

Riffy

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #14 - May 13th, 2008 at 10:03pm
I'm rather sorry I went to Catholic school - it made me less realistic than I should be.  I'm catching up, though.

Catholic school thread, all?

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #15 - May 13th, 2008 at 10:39pm
For mine the trouble with religious faith, no matter what the strain or stripe, particularly post Enlightenment and especially post nuclear ( hey the einstein connection! ) is it's unreasonableness. Faith (almost by defintion) allows or is a manifestation of belief in something notwithstanding a lack of evidence for believing so or, indeed, despite the presence of (often overwhelming) evidence to the contrary. Consequently it can be seen as  an indicator of (and often often seeks to exploit) the feeble minded.

that's why I go for Bhuddism - it has no gods or theology - a human response to the human conditon but one which still acknowledges the existence  of some kind of universal force - without the somewhat childish (to borrow einstein's description) need to anthropomorphize it
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2008 at 10:50pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Reply #16 - May 13th, 2008 at 10:55pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 10:39pm:
For mine the trouble with religious faith, no matter what the strain or stripe) particularly post Enlightenment and especially post nuclear ( hey the einstein connection! ) is it's unreasonableness. Faith (almost by defintion) allows or is a manifestation of belief in something notwithstanding a lack of evidence for believing so or, indeed, despite the presence of (often overwhelming) evidence to the contrary. Consequently can be seen as  an indicator of and it often often seeks to exploit the feeble minded.

that's why I go for Bhuddism - it has no gods or theology - a human response to the human conditon but one which still acknowledges the existence  of some kind of universal force - without the somewhat childish (to borrow einstein's description) need to to anthropomorphize it

It's all too complicated for my small brain. Hell just exists because some people deserve to go to Hell, at least for awhile...like the Burmese Junta. A little Hell punishment wouldn''t hurt them guys.

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - May 13th, 2008 at 11:21pm
The fact is that the belief in science and a belief in God are not exclusive of each other. They can be compatible. In fact there have been many many scientists that absolutly insist on the exsistance of God. While one may differ on the term with which to describe God, there is ample scientific evidence to support the positon of a God figure's exsitence. I could link many different sites that point this out, but hey...do your own damn research! Wink ! Google "Science proves the exsitence of God", and see what you get. Many very facinating articles that are written by some of the world's preemminent scientists. I believe in God because I have had personal events in my life which have borne out my belief.

I do agree with you SIA that certain relgions use their theology to bend the way their particular adherants think and behave. Feeble minds are easy to bend. One needs look no furthur than radical Islam for proof of this. However, I can't fault God for that. No. That's man made relgious affiliations that are soley responsible for that crap. The pollution of God's word if you will. In the case of Islam though there can be zero doubt that the actual religion is a theology that preaches hatered of the infidel, etc.

Read Willful Blindness by Andrew McCarthey. That book lays out some facts about the religion of Islam that most people are, well, willfully blind to. Andrew McCarthey was the lead prosecutor in the "Blind Sheik" case from the 1st bombing of the World Trade Center back in 1994. The book is stunning.

Riffy
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2008 at 11:24pm by Riffhard »  

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #18 - May 13th, 2008 at 11:24pm
Alcohol makes me happy.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #19 - May 14th, 2008 at 12:27am
I prayed today, I prayed tonight. I don't need no religion, so I got you all beat.
If you can't find God without religion, well, I'd say that's pretty funny, because God is everywhere. and you might not like this, but God, unlike people, doesn't take sides or play favorites, that's a human flaw, and it is evidenced in the writings people have created concerning god and the contrived religions. Even the atheist and agnostic have faith, they must or they wouldn't be able to function. It's just how they choose to use that faith. It's usually in the form of buses running on time kinda stuff.
I just find the archaic my god is better than your god, just like saying I got more money than you or my dick is bigger than yours. How fucking insecure are we, as people? Really!!!
It's really simple. Help others, don't hurt others... and you're happy. You don't even need to beleive in god or pray to live like that, and you can still do gods work.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #20 - May 14th, 2008 at 4:13am
Do you really believe that god came down from heaven and spoke to a tribe of desert nomads. What about all the other "chosen people" god has talked to. I find it interesting that god only talks to people in the desert in the mid-east and not oriental people in Japan or black people in Africa or south american people. There is no god, it's a made up way for the those in power to keep everyone in line.

You rock!

Belief in such fairy tales has existed since caveman needed an explanation as to natural phenemenon.  That it still exists today is an anachronism.   Generally it is a crutch for the feeble minded or those with a screw loose.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2008 at 8:06am by lotsajizz »  

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #21 - May 14th, 2008 at 7:37am
Pdog wrote on May 14th, 2008 at 12:27am:
I prayed today, I prayed tonight. I don't need no religion, so I got you all beat.
If you can't find God without religion, well, I'd say that's pretty funny, because God is everywhere. and you might not like this, but God, unlike people, doesn't take sides or play favorites, that's a human flaw, and it is evidenced in the writings people have created concerning god and the contrived religions. Even the atheist and agnostic have faith, they must or they wouldn't be able to function. It's just how they choose to use that faith. It's usually in the form of buses running on time kinda stuff.
I just find the archaic my god is better than your god, just like saying I got more money than you or my dick is bigger than yours. How fucking insecure are we, as people? Really!!!
It's really simple. Help others, don't hurt others... and you're happy. You don't even need to beleive in god or pray to live like that, and you can still do gods work.

“The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.”

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #22 - May 14th, 2008 at 12:23pm
Pdog wrote on May 14th, 2008 at 12:27am:

Amen.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #23 - May 14th, 2008 at 7:24pm
this is a good movie- www.expelledthemovie.com

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #24 - May 14th, 2008 at 9:44pm

You rock!

Actually, "those in power" have continued over the last 10-15 years to erode Christian principles in society. For the sake of human rights, society will continue to crumble. What many call successes and human advancement, are actually detrimental changes to the strength of society which lies on the foundation of the family.

One aspect of Christianity that's always amazed me is that they pray for non-believers every day. They don't even know you or those people that share your beliefs. That's a fairly strong example of human compassion - something this world desperately needs more of, but fades daily.

Its always amazed me that people who lack faith have to publicly and repeatedly dictate that "there is no God" and criticize people of faith because "there's no proof" of a (Christian) God. Exactly what is your proof, then, for you to contradict?

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #25 - May 14th, 2008 at 10:56pm
Lazy B. i think chrisg was making the point that despite claims to the contrary  no one religion has a mortgage over what "god" is or isn't

I mean in a sense isn't it all a question of definition. If you defined god as an elctro-magnetic force then I would agree "it' exists. But if you posit some "being' who takes an interventionist role in human affairs then I would suggest you have let your thinking get clouded

In my view a lot of this religious stuff is perpetrated because people are unwilling to  discredit things their parents have told them (and thus it is handed down generation after generation). see e.g. Mel Gibson whose defense of his hard-core Catholic beliefs includes the statement that he believes because his father did  and his "daddy wouldn't lie to me"

having said that one should be careful to make the distinction between a belief in God as oppposed to support of a church the latter being more than anything vehicles for social engineering (i.e. keeping property and assets (and children!!) with 'the group" and excluding outsiders)

and as pdog has (rightfully imho) pointed out you don't need god(s) to lead a moral life
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2008 at 10:58pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 16th, 2008 at 2:49pm
smoking more weed is good for your healthI just hope there is a God so I can listen to to any Rolling Stones bootleg I want in heaven...

Meanwhile, I was still thinking....

Einstein's letter about religion sells for $400K.

Fri, May, 11:41 AM ET

LONDON - A letter in which Albert Einstein dismissed the idea of God as the product of human weakness and the Bible as "pretty childish" has sold at auction for more than $400,000.

Bloomsbury Auctions said Friday that the handwritten letter sold to an overseas collector after frenetic bidding late Thursday in London. The sale price of $404,000, including the buyer's premium, was more than 25 times the pre-sale estimate.

Bloomsbury did not identify the buyer, but managing director Rupert Powell said it was someone with "a passion for theoretical physics and all that that entails."

"This extraordinary letter seemed to strike a chord, and it gave a deep personal insight one of the greatest minds of the 20th century," Powell said.

The letter was written to philosopher Eric Gutkind in January 1954, a year before Einstein's death. In it, the Einstein said that "the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

Einstein experts say the letter supports the argument that the physicist held complex, agnostic views on religion. He rejected organized faith but often spoke of a spiritual force at work in the universe.

Einstein's most famous legacy is the special theory of relativity, which makes the point that a large amount of energy could be released from a tiny amount of matter, as expressed in the equation EMC2 (energy equals mass times the speed of light squared).

The theory changed the face of physics, allowing scientists to make predictions about space and paving the way for nuclear power and the atomic bomb.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #27 - May 16th, 2008 at 5:08pm
I have Hope and I have Faith, that's not just 2 strippers from Albuquerque- DLR

IP Logged

chris girard
Rocks Off Regular

Blues lover

Retired & happy
Reply #28 - May 16th, 2008 at 7:40pm

You rock!

No one religion has a monopoly on god, all people throughout the world have some sort of god. I just finshed reading a book called "God" and its about all the beliefs that exist in all religions in the world. It is amazing how similar some of the beliefs are in the world. I really find it hard to believe that someone is up there looking down and judging us. But I must admit I ask now and then is this all there is for us???? Is this it and then its over? Don't know the answer to those questions? Do we get a 2nd chance-I doubt it, but it is nice to think about.

I hope I have not upset too many of the people on the board by being so bold. It's comforting to know that there are other people out there that think the Stones are the best band.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #29 - May 16th, 2008 at 8:04pm
Religion is a very personal thing, I'm Christian myself, what was said in the Bible always made sense to me, people can believe in whatever higher power they want, I say, keep a open mind, the only religion I don't trust is Islam, Their trouble makers, big time!!

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)