Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Jini telling the truth to the world © Don't remember!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people: (Read 4,555 times)
stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Re: Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen peop
Reply #25 - May 14th, 2008 at 10:56pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Lazy B. i think chrisg was making the point that despite claims to the contrary  no one religion has a mortgage over what "god" is or isn't

I mean in a sense isn't it all a question of definition. If you defined god as an elctro-magnetic force then I would agree "it' exists. But if you posit some "being' who takes an interventionist role in human affairs then I would suggest you have let your thinking get clouded

In my view a lot of this religious stuff is perpetrated because people are unwilling to  discredit things their parents have told them (and thus it is handed down generation after generation). see e.g. Mel Gibson whose defense of his hard-core Catholic beliefs includes the statement that he believes because his father did  and his "daddy wouldn't lie to me"

having said that one should be careful to make the distinction between a belief in God as oppposed to support of a church the latter being more than anything vehicles for social engineering (i.e. keeping property and assets (and children!!) with 'the group" and excluding outsiders)

and as pdog has (rightfully imho) pointed out you don't need god(s) to lead a moral life
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2008 at 10:58pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 16th, 2008 at 2:49pm
smoking more weed is good for your healthI just hope there is a God so I can listen to to any Rolling Stones bootleg I want in heaven...

Meanwhile, I was still thinking....

Einstein's letter about religion sells for $400K.

Fri, May, 11:41 AM ET

LONDON - A letter in which Albert Einstein dismissed the idea of God as the product of human weakness and the Bible as "pretty childish" has sold at auction for more than $400,000.

Bloomsbury Auctions said Friday that the handwritten letter sold to an overseas collector after frenetic bidding late Thursday in London. The sale price of $404,000, including the buyer's premium, was more than 25 times the pre-sale estimate.

Bloomsbury did not identify the buyer, but managing director Rupert Powell said it was someone with "a passion for theoretical physics and all that that entails."

"This extraordinary letter seemed to strike a chord, and it gave a deep personal insight one of the greatest minds of the 20th century," Powell said.

The letter was written to philosopher Eric Gutkind in January 1954, a year before Einstein's death. In it, the Einstein said that "the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

Einstein experts say the letter supports the argument that the physicist held complex, agnostic views on religion. He rejected organized faith but often spoke of a spiritual force at work in the universe.

Einstein's most famous legacy is the special theory of relativity, which makes the point that a large amount of energy could be released from a tiny amount of matter, as expressed in the equation EMC2 (energy equals mass times the speed of light squared).

The theory changed the face of physics, allowing scientists to make predictions about space and paving the way for nuclear power and the atomic bomb.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #27 - May 16th, 2008 at 5:08pm
I have Hope and I have Faith, that's not just 2 strippers from Albuquerque- DLR

IP Logged

chris girard
Rocks Off Regular

Blues lover

Retired & happy
Reply #28 - May 16th, 2008 at 7:40pm
chris girard wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 8:42pm:
Do you really believe that god came down from heaven and spoke to a tribe of desert nomads. What about all the other "chosen people" god has talked to. I find it interesting that god only talks to people in the desert in the mid-east and not oriental people in Japan or black people in Africa or south american people. There is no god, it's a made up way for the those in power to keep everyone in line.

You rock!

No one religion has a monopoly on god, all people throughout the world have some sort of god. I just finshed reading a book called "God" and its about all the beliefs that exist in all religions in the world. It is amazing how similar some of the beliefs are in the world. I really find it hard to believe that someone is up there looking down and judging us. But I must admit I ask now and then is this all there is for us???? Is this it and then its over? Don't know the answer to those questions? Do we get a 2nd chance-I doubt it, but it is nice to think about.

I hope I have not upset too many of the people on the board by being so bold. It's comforting to know that there are other people out there that think the Stones are the best band.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #29 - May 16th, 2008 at 8:04pm
Religion is a very personal thing, I'm Christian myself, what was said in the Bible always made sense to me, people can believe in whatever higher power they want, I say, keep a open mind, the only religion I don't trust is Islam, Their trouble makers, big time!!

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)