Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peter Tosh (Read 855 times)
sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Peter Tosh
May 12th, 2008 at 4:43pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I've always been a huge fan, but just listening to this amazing artist straight for about a month has just made me shuby all over.  At least I think it has.  Tosh was hugely overshadowed by Marley - who wouldn't be? - but I think he got so little attention its rock and roll tragedy.  An incredible artist crying to be heard by a world full of whitey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuzwbLN720

This video is interesting, shows his poor mom (he was her only child).  Tosh lead a fucking tough life - he had to go to church every goddam day when he was a kid and despite all that, when he was 7, the Devil STILL tried to blind him with barbed wire.  He was bleeding from his freakin' eyelids, man!  Then, of course, in his 40s, he got murdered in his Jamaican home (9/11/87).

He also wasn't buying the whole whacky Jesus-was-white bit from day one, and he cracks me up with "One of the main songs that we used to sing in church.........that makes me sick: 'lord wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.'"

Seemed like he had more range than Marley - his songs were darker, but he also had some country and funk sound in there, which strikes me as original in addition to being well done.  Maybe he got that from hanging with the Stones?  I don't know.  I just don't fucking know.

His masterpiece, at least to me, is Ketchy Shuby - maybe some day I'll find a live vid.  Anyone?  Its on Live and Dangerous album, and he speeds it up - fucker rocks.  He recorded that, along with Till Your Well Runs Dry and Whatcha Gonna Do in Tulsa, Oklahoma - home of Oral B. Roberts and his Xtian-college.  Home to da bone, in your face type sitch right in America's white bread basket.

If there is such a thing as a Tosh boot, and any of yinz don't mind sharing, please/por favor PM me.

Anyway, come make we play some......ketchy shuby.........ketchy ketch shuby shuby tonight........
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008 at 5:10pm by sirmoonie »  

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Re: Peter Tosh
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2008 at 5:10pm
as soon as you can explain shuby to me and then stop using the lords name in vain...then i will read the rest of your post.

You rock!

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2008 at 6:23pm
Quote:
as soon as you can explain shuby to me and then stop using the lords name in vain...then i will read the rest of your post.

You rock!

that's something a god damn jesus freak would say....

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2008 at 8:19pm
Quote:

You rock!

WTF?  You want me to edit my own post just so you can read it?  Not a chance, ya mackeral snapper.  Its about Peter Tosh, for Christ's sakes!

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint,Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)