Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Jini telling the truth to the world © Don't remember!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Song Association Game (purely SC) (Read 12,029 times)
Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: Song Association Game (purely SC)
Reply #50 - May 12th, 2008 at 8:15pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Tell Me- I always thought it sounded so proper- I remember recording it off the radio to play around the pool 1980 or so.

Next up  Down In The Hole-

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #51 - May 12th, 2008 at 8:24pm
I'll bite.

Down In The Hole?

Great tune. I remember being a cook at a Pizza Hut in Marietta, Ga when Emotional Rescue came out. My buddy Mark Simms and I worked at this Pizza Hut, and we were both Stones' freaks. This was the b-side to the title track on the jukebox. We played it over and over again. We played that song so much that the manager told us to knock it off or he'd remove it from the jukebox. We3 would just until he left and then crank it up repeatedly. Good times!

Okay so here's the next one

Crackin' Up

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #52 - May 12th, 2008 at 8:43pm
Shit "Down in Hole" really made me remember great things in my life... too late

Crackin' Up  and the whole Side 3 of Love You Live made me remember a very special time of my life, I was in college, probably some the best days of my life.... I don't know why but during those days everytime I played side 3 it was something in the air  Better seen on weed! and of course crackin' up  with it

Next Rocks Off!
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008 at 8:49pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #53 - May 12th, 2008 at 11:35pm
Ok, "Rocks Off"....

I got Exile when it came out, and I played it every single day for, oh, I don't know, months! And, when Rocks Off came on, I knew I was in for a supreme 2 lp's worth of some of the best Stones songs of all time....{before and since, although the "since" hadn't happened yet!} So, for me, RO meant that the great songs were just beginning... Smiley

Next up:

No Expectations
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008 at 11:36pm by Sioux »  

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #54 - May 12th, 2008 at 11:36pm
¿¿¿¿¿Next?????  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #55 - May 13th, 2008 at 2:10am
Throwaway wrote on May 12th, 2008 at 8:01pm:
Street Fighting Man -
When I was little I would play BB on cassette.  The piano during the outro was like heaven to me, so I would often listen to the song on repeat.  I also associate it with my first Stones show (opening night, DC 8/94), when they did some crazy sh*t (blow up dogs or something on stage???) during the VL tour, and I was thinking..this is the best night of my life (so far!)!!!

next: Tell Me

I know I'm bending the rules, but I've got to go back to this one. "Tell Me" was one of the first Stones songs that ever really grabbed me. Those harmonies by Keith really make this song for me. It reminds me of sitting in the back of my parents' car on a Friday night, going up to the mountains, and "playing" the song in my head because we didn't have a car radio.

I'll let someone else take "No Expectations."

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #56 - May 13th, 2008 at 6:22am
I got Beggar's Banquet when I was a junior in high school, on tape, from a Record Bar in St. Louis (I actually think it was Chesterfield, but, same thing).  It was my fourth full length Stones album, after 1) Dirty Work 2) Aftermath and 3) Some Girls.  I also had Hot Rocks at the time.   I knew the Stones were some kind of big fucking deal to me, but it was really Beggar's that sealed the deal and I kind of knew it from first listen.

I put it in my walkman-like knockoff device whilst sitting in the backseat on the way to the Cardinals game I was attending with my folks.  I already knew Sympathy, so No Expectations was where that album truly began for me.  I can still remember the first time I ever heard it, leaning against the passenger side back seat door, looking out over 40/61 going by, while that slide guitar slipped through my head.  I felt like I was entering another world entirely. 

Next up:

Saint of Me

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #57 - May 13th, 2008 at 7:44am
Okay..who hasnt been laying back sipping a drink kinda mellow..when Keef blasts into Cant You Hear Me Knocking?

Suddenly your off and running the party can start.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #58 - May 13th, 2008 at 6:50pm
First time I heard SOM was when 96 Rock was playing every song of the album. I was at a car wash and thought it was a very cool song!

next up- Harlem Shuffle

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #59 - May 13th, 2008 at 7:10pm
cool choice, SG...My dad used to have the Flashpoint/Collectibles CD combo in his truck's center console back in the 90s, and whenever we'd go places, those two discs would get a lot of play.  I especially loved the nearly 8-minute long Winning Ugly, cause it was less 80s and had some interesting instrumental breakdowns.  Anyway I also loved playing the long version of Harlem Shuffle from Collectibles, I could really get into a grove with that one.  Great album for the drives on I-95 to UMD Terps games (Steve Franchise baby!) or DC. 

It's Only Rock an Roll

IP Logged

jaggergirl
Rocks Off Regular

*make every song you sing
your favorite tune...:)*

Exiled on Main Street
Reply #60 - May 15th, 2008 at 12:38pm
Throwaway wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 7:10pm:
cool choice, SG...My dad used to have the Flashpoint/Collectibles CD combo in his truck's center console back in the 90s, and whenever we'd go places, those two discs would get a lot of play.  I especially loved the nearly 8-minute long Winning Ugly, cause it was less 80s and had some interesting instrumental breakdowns.  Anyway I also loved playing the long version of Harlem Shuffle from Collectibles, I could really get into a grove with that one.  Great album for the drives on I-95 to UMD Terps games (Steve Franchise baby!) or DC. 

It's Only Rock an Roll

Oh, I just have to take this one.. hope I am not barging in...

IORR.. the very first time i saw the Stones.. it was on late night TV.. I remember it perfectly.. I was a little kid, sneaking out of bed to catch my older siblings watching tv ... anyway,  I remember Keith scaring the crap outta me and thinking he was the coolest person I have ever seen all at the same time, not to mention Mick and his instant charisma that shot out of the tv and got me ...*sigh* those sailor suits, IORR always holds a special place for me... Smiley:)

and another thing it reminds me of.... just for LJ......
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2008 at 12:44pm by jaggergirl »  

*Angels beating all their wings in time...with smiles on their faces and a gleam right in their eyes...*
 Smiley&&&&
*Oh, what a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz..*
Smiley

IP Logged

jaggergirl
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled on Main Street
Reply #61 - May 15th, 2008 at 12:41pm
oops, I forgot to pick another song... Monkey Man Smiley

*Angels beating all their wings in time...with smiles on their faces and a gleam right in their eyes...*
 Smiley&&&&
Smiley

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #62 - May 15th, 2008 at 12:55pm
jaggergirl wrote on May 15th, 2008 at 12:38pm:
Throwaway wrote on May 13th, 2008 at 7:10pm:
cool choice, SG...My dad used to have the Flashpoint/Collectibles CD combo in his truck's center console back in the 90s, and whenever we'd go places, those two discs would get a lot of play.  I especially loved the nearly 8-minute long Winning Ugly, cause it was less 80s and had some interesting instrumental breakdowns.  Anyway I also loved playing the long version of Harlem Shuffle from Collectibles, I could really get into a grove with that one.  Great album for the drives on I-95 to UMD Terps games (Steve Franchise baby!) or DC.  

It's Only Rock an Roll

Oh, I just have to take this one.. hope I am not barging in...

IORR.. the very first time i saw the Stones.. it was on late night TV.. I remember it perfectly.. I was a little kid, sneaking out of bed to catch my older siblings watching tv ... anyway,  I remember Keith scaring the crap outta me and thinking he was the coolest person I have ever seen all at the same time, not to mention Mick and his instant charisma that shot out of the tv and got me ...*sigh* those sailor suits, IORR always holds a special place for me... Smiley:)

and another thing it reminds me of.... just for LJ......

Bite your tongue with the barging in thought!!!! I've been waiting for you to chime in on this great thread.

Winnie!!!!!  So sweet!!!!

LJ.

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #63 - May 15th, 2008 at 2:14pm
my earliest: angie - in 73 when the song was big.....  my mom and cousins doing some summer house cleaning while the radio is on - and angie is playing - I was about seven and i had this strange aversion to it...hated it!
there was something in jagger's voice that irritated me - he sounded to me like he was mocking the listener...ha - i had it right/
i guess i was meant to fall in love - eventually - with this band.

and again in the summer of 78 - before i fell, so to speak...
hearing miss you on the car radio - the song had irritated me - but watching my cool cousins from the valley (border town region in texas, not cali) singing/talking it word-for-word was my first clue that i was missing out on something cooler than i was at that time.

IP Logged

black limozine
I'm new!!

Reply #64 - May 15th, 2008 at 2:36pm
monkey man

the garden. jan 18 2003. hbo show. that song kicked ass.   You rock!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #65 - May 15th, 2008 at 3:40pm
what is the next song?? :funny

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #66 - May 15th, 2008 at 3:49pm
C'mon people... You go with the song that the person picks before you, and don't forget to pick a song after you post, and stop with the random interuptions of a song you just decide to write about.
will ya 2

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #67 - May 15th, 2008 at 3:52pm
lets do this-

up now Crazy Mamma!

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #68 - May 15th, 2008 at 6:16pm
Can I do CYHMK instead? We can get back to Crazy Mama.

When I lived in Africa, I walked my dog every evening while my wife rode her horse.  I'd hit off my little dugout as we walked (law? what law?) and I'd stop at a "buvette,"  a little divey watering hole with broken plastic furniture outside on the red clay.  I'd sit with the dog at my feet and have a beer watching the ladies come back from the river with laundry on their heads.  I made friends with the proprietor and one day gave him Sticky Fingers as a present.  He would play it all the time, but one of his speakers was blown, so CYHMK would play without Keith's part at all!  But let me tell you, despite those being some of Keith's greatest licks ever, Taylor's part carried the song nearly as well.  I suspect Sticky Fingers is still blasting out of that one speaker today.  They didn't exactly have a large collection.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #69 - May 15th, 2008 at 6:38pm
Now, that is a COOL story, Zack.... Smiley Cool

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #70 - May 15th, 2008 at 7:09pm
what is the next song?? Kiss my undercover ass

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #71 - May 15th, 2008 at 7:12pm
Crazy Mama - somebody go!

IP Logged

jaggergirl
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled on Main Street
Reply #72 - May 15th, 2008 at 7:28pm
Zack wrote on May 15th, 2008 at 7:12pm:
Crazy Mama - somebody go!

I think of this animation EVERY time I hear that song, now.. what a great animation.. Ronnie cracks me up!!!! Grin

http://www.exile.com.au/stones/

next song..... Some Girls Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2008 at 7:30pm by jaggergirl »  

Smiley&&&&
Smiley

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Dakar
Reply #73 - May 15th, 2008 at 7:48pm
Holy crap!  That's JUST what I was going to say about Crazy Mama until the other story popped into my head.  I love that thing!

Some Girls:  I always think of my recording of the 1-25-99 debut in Oaklan wondering how Jagger was going to handle the "controversial" line, and loving the fact he said "some WHITE girls just want to get f***ed all night."

Next song:

Time Waits for No One
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2008 at 7:50pm by Zack »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #74 - May 15th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Time waits for no one- wow what an awesomw tune. way back in the late 70's I got a five finger discount from Treasure Island on highway 41 on an IORR cassette and I walked all over my neighborhood in the summer of 79 with my little boom box blasting! I heard TWFNO by the pool one late night with a great buzz and it took my heart away.

next up- She's So Cold-

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)