Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
At 63, Rod Stewart not ready to slow down (NSC) (Read 1,508 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
At 63, Rod Stewart not ready to slow down (NSC)
May 8th, 2008 at 2:20pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
At 63, Rod Stewart not ready to slow down
Wed May 7, 2008 8:13pm
By Bob Burgdorfer

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Hall of Fame rocker Rod Stewart is 63 years old, but nowhere near retirement as he considers a wish list of future projects that include a movie, an R&B album, and maybe even a fling with country and western music.

"I'd love to make a movie, just for posterity," Stewart told Reuters ahead of an upcoming 18-city North American tour.

But so far a film project, such as Martin Scorsese's recent Rolling Stones' documentary "Shine a Light," is not in the works simply because, Stewart said, he hasn't been asked.

Stewart's career stretches back to 1964 and includes a Grammy award, the U.S. music industry's highest honor, as well as his 1994 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He has sold millions of records with hits such as "Maggie May," "Tonight's the Night," and "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

Like the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith and some other rockers of the 1960s and 1970s, Stewart has successfully moved his career into the new century.

His 18-city North American tour begins in Paso Robles, California on July 30 and stops in Las Vegas, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C. and other U.S. cities before ending August 28 in Tampa, Florida. Two Canadian stops are planned for Toronto and Montreal. (Other dates can be found at www.rodstewart.com)

Stewart said he hasn't yet picked out a song list for what will be his first tour through North America in two years, but recent performances in various countries have included his familiar hits as well as newer songs.

If he had his way, Stewart said he would continue performing until he is 70. "I do love it," he said. "I actually enjoy this job that I do. I probably would miss it."

But age and family -- he has six children ages 2-1/2 to 27 and a wife, Penny -- do take time from his schedule, and Stewart said that unlike other performers who go on the road for months at a time, he is more inclined to perform for a few weeks, return home for a month, then hit the road again.

"I don't do it like Genesis or the Police, they go out six months solid. I just don't want to do that. It takes me away from my children too long," he said.

NEW DIRECTIONS

Much of Stewart's success of late has been with his "Great American Songbook," a four-part series of standards mostly from the 1930s and 1940s released from 2002 to 2005 that has sold 15 million copies.

More recently, his "Still the Same ... Great Rock Classics of Our Time" album has him singing works by Bob Dylan, John Fogerty, Bob Seger, Van Morrison and others.

While that album is selling well, Stewart says he is not done writing his own songs and venturing in new directions.

"There is still this R&B album I want to do. There's a Country (and) Western album I'd love to do, although the record company doesn't want it," he said. "We are still in the throes of talking about it. I very much doubt whether we will get it done this year."

He also would like do a "fifth and final American Songbook."

Ron Wood, guitarist for the Rolling Stones and a former member of the 1970s rock group Faces, which Stewart fronted, has said he would like to reunite that band. Stewart said he is unsure that will happen, but he didn't rule it out.

"I don't want to do a tour that goes on forever, and I don't think there are enough people out there who love the Faces," said Stewart. "It was a great band, but was not as famous as the Police. But, I'll consider it."

In looking over the current crop of young artists, Stewart said he sees a few who could enjoy the kind of long-term success he has had, including Canadian rockers Arcade Fire.

"My daughter took me to see them at the Hollywood Bowl. They are probably one of the best bands I have seen," he said. "Then there is a really good British band called Kasabian."

"Whether they are going to keep it going as long as we have I don't know. But they are making good music," he said.

Reuters/Nielsen

IP Logged

CrazyDadda
Rocks Off Regular

Come On Up For The Rising

Re: At 63, Rod Stewart not ready to slow down (NSC
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2008 at 2:56pm
Rod and country music? Jesus

“If you're gonna be in a band, you can't sit in the studio the whole time... I'd like to do more of the only thing I can do really well, apart from screwing." Keith Richards&&&&      “Basically the thing at the time you used to just try and find girls that would fuck. The rest of it was just..yer know. I mean , it wasn't quite as easy then as it is now. Since the invention of the pill, its become much easier." Mick Jagger&&&&“You can neither win nor lose if you don't run the race." David Bowie

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2008 at 3:17pm
Give a listen to his 70's renderings of "What Made Milwaukee Famous" or "The Wild Side Of Life", these are good country cuts....

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2008 at 8:49pm
Hey, if Chuck Berry can do it at 81, what the heck.

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #4 - May 8th, 2008 at 11:33pm
moy wrote on May 8th, 2008 at 2:20pm:
"I don't want to do a tour that goes on forever, and I don't think there are enough people out there who love the Faces," said Stewart. "It was a great band, but was not as famous as the Police. But, I'll consider it."

Voo!  Where's that "***BLANK FUCKING STARE***" smiley critter at?????

I need one, quick!

Jesus, somebody slap Rod already...

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

charlotte
Rocks Off Regular

You've got a cut throat
crew

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2008 at 5:13am
Jeff Beck Group

The first Jeff Beck Group formed in London in 1967, consisting of Jeff Beck (guitar), Rod Stewart (vocals), Ronnie Wood (bass), and Aynsley Dunbar (drums).

The real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirDwohWt2s
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2008 at 7:03am by charlotte »  

&&&&

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2008 at 6:31am
parmeda wrote on May 8th, 2008 at 11:33pm:
moy wrote on May 8th, 2008 at 2:20pm:

Voo!  Where's that "***BLANK FUCKING STARE***" smiley critter at?????

I need one, quick!

Jesus, somebody slap Rod already...

I want to make some emoticons with Rolling Stones faces not those happy and unhappy faces  Roll Eyes

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2008 at 12:14pm
The old Rod {with Jeff Beck and with Faces}  Smiley Cool

The new Rod.  Blank Frigging Stare

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #8 - May 11th, 2008 at 9:33pm
ROD STEWART - STEWART EYES UP STONES-STYLE MOVIE

Veteran rocker ROD STEWART is desperate to be a film star - after watching THE ROLLING STONES' MARTIN SCORSESE-directed movie SHINE A LIGHT.

The Maggie May star would love to emulate his ageing contemporaries and follow in their footsteps by starring in his very own documentary-style movie.

He says, "I'd love to make a film. Just for posterity."

But the British rocker may have to put his burning ambition to star on the big screen on hold for now - because he has yet to be approached with plans for a movie venture.

11/05/2008 14:23

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)