Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mick Jagger at the King's coronation in Tonga (Read 3,107 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Mick Jagger at the King's coronation in Tonga
May 8th, 2008 at 6:33am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Elton John and Mick Jagger to perform at Coronation?

8/05/2008 10:05:16 a.m.

According to an article by Michael Field on the New Zealand Dominion Post this morning, Sir Elton John and Mick Jagger are part of the King’s special guest list for the Coronation. No official word has been received on their attendance or whether they would perform.

An impromptu performance by either star will be a huge spectacle and will certainly lift the Coronation to a different plane. Both artists will have plenty of fans in the Kingdom.   

The Coronation will cost around $6 million but Government sources say this could double because some of the 22 sub-committees are well behind schedule and there is only $1 million left from the original $6 million budget. This means that more funding will be required.

The Kings robes and uniforms for some of the officials are rumoured to cost nearly $1 million from the UK. All efforts are being made to ensure the Coronation resembles the Coronation of the Kings and Queens of Europe.  This will certainly put Tonga on the map and provide huge coverage through the BBC who have been given exclusive rights to cover the Coronation.

The Tu’ipelehake addressed the nation yesterday outlining the planning and the preparations for the Coronation. He asked the people to work together and help the sub-committees. The venue of the Coronation which will be the Saione Church of the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga in Kolomotu’a. The church is being extensively renovated for the Coronation.

In the lead up to the Coronation, the King is holding a small birthday bash on Friday 9th of May by hiring the Starlight String Quartet and an Opera Singer from New Zealand. All funds raised will be donated to the Childrens Cancer Foundation. The King is a huge fan of opera music and has a tremendous appreciation of fine European art, history and music.

The nation is moving towards celebration mode and most of the airline seats during the Coronation period are at premium prices due to the demand from overseas Tongans wanting to attend the Coronation.

The Emergency Rule will be in force during the Coronation because of threats of political demonstrations by the democratic movement. This may cause some anxiety amongst foreign dignitaries so this could prevent some from attending. It is rumoured that most of the European and Asian Royal families have been given invitations along with other World leaders.

The pig farmers in Tonga will be smiling all the way to the bank because Puaka Toho or Sows are in hot demand for the village Coronation meal preparation. Puaka Toho’s can fetch up to $2,000 while cattle can reach $3,500 for Angus breeds.  Each village has been given tasks to erect massive village entrance gates and preparation of food while others provide Tongan fine mats and so forth.

The Nobles will be required to provide a significant amount of fine mats, pigs and food for the Coronation. Some will receive assistance from their respective villages while others will have to fork out their own money for the goods. Some have been preparing since the beginning of last year in anticipation of the Coronation.

The Taumafa Kava which is the traditional Tongan ceremony to anoint the King will be held before the church Coronation service. This is the key event for the Tongan people and will be the main spectacle.

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Re: Mick Jagger at the King's coronation in Tonga
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2008 at 6:34am
Tonga to spend millions on coronation
May 8, 2008 5:11 PM

The tiny Pacific nation of Tonga looks set to splash out millions of dollars on the coronation ceremony this year of King George Tupou V.

There are even unconfirmed rumours that Sir Elton John and Sir Mick Jagger will be invited.

New Zealand's Dominion Post newspaper reports that the cost of the lavish ceremony to crown the new monarch could climb as high as $T10 million ($NZ6.8 million).

Tonga's economy is largely dependent on money sent home by Tongans overseas and on foreign aid, including about $A!2 million ($NZ14.6 million) each year from Australia.

The coronation ceremony is planned to run from July 29 to August 2.

A new gold sceptre has been cast in gold for the occasion, which will feature luncheons, balls, a fireworks display and a rugby match between a World XV and the Tonga XV, it is reported.

Pro-democracy supporter and Tonga MP Akilisi Pohiva said parliament was expected to be given costings for the coronation when it sat later this month.

Pohiva said he hoped the king would use the coronation to sign a document supporting political change in the South Pacific nation, where the king chooses many of the country's MPs, including all the ministers.

"We expect it to be a highlight of the coronation," Pohiva said.

The current system is expected to be altered before the next election to make it more democratic.

Pohiva said pro-democracy supporters had no plans to protest at the coronation, but that could change if the king decided against signing the document.

Riots broke out in Tonga's capital Nuku'alofa in 2006 just weeks after Tupou became king.

Many of the king's businesses were targeted by the riots, which destroyed much of downtown Nuku'alofa and left eight people dead.

Plans for a coronation ceremony to be held last year were shelved amid concerns people would be angered by the extravagance.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2008 at 6:42am
VOODOO

I INSIST ON THE IMMEDIATE INSTALLATION OF A "+++++BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE++++" EMOTICON !!!!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2008 at 6:54am
Gazza wrote on May 8th, 2008 at 6:42am:
VOODOO

I INSIST ON THE IMMEDIATE INSTALLATION OF A "+++++BLANK FRIGGIN' STARE++++" EMOTICON !!!!

I second that request.

Mick wouldn't do this would he???
Nah...no way.
Would he???  Undecided

LJ.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #4 - May 8th, 2008 at 6:58am
Monarchy is an anachronism that should be given no encouragement.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2008 at 6:59am
For once he's correct...

IP Logged

open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Reply #6 - May 8th, 2008 at 7:06am
That means, Keith does the comments?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #7 - May 8th, 2008 at 9:24am
Well, the second article says Mick is "expected to be invited"... Now, there's a difference between been invited and actually performing there, right?

At least I hope so  Undecided

FotiniD  
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2008 at 11:34am
VOODOO

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #9 - May 8th, 2008 at 11:45am
Hmmmmm.....the King is a huge fan of opera music. Sir Mick Jagger is asked to perform. He goes out, in tie and tails and does his famous aria...."I knowww, it's only rock and rollllll.....but I like it, like it, yes I do", in his most perfect contralto voice. Wink Huh

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #10 - May 8th, 2008 at 11:59am
better chance of Mick Jagger at new Burger King grand opening in Omaha.

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #11 - May 8th, 2008 at 4:43pm
VOODOO

Here are some pics to use until we have the emoticon:

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2008 at 5:48pm
Blank Friggin Stare...

The one I use for Buckmeister..... Wink

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2008 at 5:49pm

IP Logged

open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Reply #14 - May 8th, 2008 at 6:49pm
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2008 at 7:00pm by open-g »  

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2008 at 4:53am
Tonga is financially fucked, yet they can spend $6mill on this "event". Then, next week, they ask Australia for aid.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #16 - May 9th, 2008 at 9:29pm
Expect a Keith comment on this soon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)