Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spencer Davis (Read 1,143 times)
TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Spencer Davis
May 6th, 2008 at 1:54am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Music legend discusses the art of rock  
By LEE CLARK ZUMPE
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Tampa Bay Newspapers  

Even before forming the Spencer Davis Group in 1963, the legendary rocker had already established himself as a gifted musician and multi-instrumentalist. Playing harmonica by age 6, he moved to London at age 16.

Heavily influenced by American rhythm and blues music as well as Dixieland, he joined Bill Perks – who later changed his name to Bill Wyman – and formed a skiffle band called The Saints.

When Davis discovered Steve and Muff Winwood, he left behind a budding teaching career specializing in modern languages to establish the famed Spencer Davis Group. The band – responsible for close to a dozen top 10 songs including “Gimme Some Lovin,” “Somebody Help Me,” “I’m A Man” and “Keep On Runnin” – spent much of the ’60s touring with bands like The Rolling Stones and The Who.

Davis is currently preparing for a world tour which includes a stop at the Largo Cultural Center.

“Not a great deal has changed,” Davis said during a recent phone conversation, comparing performing then to performing now. “The only thing is the audience is somewhat different: There’s a greater spread.” He’s pleased that his original fans now share the music with their children. “They’ve brought their sons and daughters and grandchildren along.”

The band’s 2008 Across the World Tour will take them to Germany and to Davis’ hometown in Swansea, Wales, before their Florida gigs in May.

“I do get back there fairly often,” Davis said, speaking about his upcoming visit to Swansea. “When my mother passed away, I kept the house ... I never pulled up the roots, even though I’ve lived in the states since the early ’70s.”

Davis’ fascination with America and American music predated his migration by at least a decade. He listened to Chris Barber, Louis Armstrong, Sonny Boy Williamson II and Huddie William “Lead Belly” Ledbetter.

“I remember as a student standing outside subway stations basking on the steps in Paris, playing ‘Irene, Goodnight.’” Davis recalled that an American couple strolled by and recognized it (probably because of The Weavers’ 1950 version) but didn’t realize that Lead Belly had popularized back in the ’40s. Legend has it, in fact, that the song helped Lead Belly earn a pardon for attempted homicide. “Even in those days,” Davis said, “people were using music to raise their stature, to get out of tight spots.”

Other major influences on Davis’ early musical career were Muddy Waters and William James “Willie” Dixon.

“Dixon was one of the most creative men of that era,” Davis said. Working for Chess Records during the prime years of its existence, Dixon penned dozens of songs such as “Little Red Rooster,” “Hoochie Coochie Man,” “Evil,” “Spoonful” “Back Door Man” and “Bring It On Home.” Though he signed on as a recording artist, he became increasingly involved with the label acting as a producer, talent scout, session musician and staff songwriter. “Whenever an artist came in, Dixon would have a song.”

When Davis was just beginning on the music scene, Dixon’s songs were enjoying renewed popularity in England.

“A lot of British bands covered Dixon songs,” Davis said.

Over the course of his career, Davis has influenced plenty of upcoming artists and has earned a reputation for helping other performers achieve recognition, from Steve Windwood to Robert Palmer. For aspiring musicians, Davis offers simple, but profound, advice.

“You have to believe in yourself,” Davis said. Having dealt with less-than-reputable industry types along the way, Davis remains remarkably upbeat about the business. “I took the higher road. You rise above it and go to the next position. Time just drags you along anyways; you have to make decisions.”

Regarding a friend – Pete Ham of Badfinger – who committed suicide following financial and managerial problems, Davis acknowledges that there are two ways to go.

“It’s a Faustian approach by the artist to get his name up in lights. Generally people will sell their soul to make it,” Davis said. Ham took his life when royalties from songs didn’t come to him due to bad deals and naivety. Davis faced similar problems in the ’70s, but the thought of suicide never crossed his mind. “I would never have contemplated that,” he said. “People that take their life make the wrong decision. You have to stand up and fight.”

In addition to touring, Davis is still actively recording new music. His recent CD, “So Far,” is very autobiographical.

“I’ll be doing some of those things,” Davis said. He’s looking forward to all his scheduled appearances in Florida and to seeing both old and new fans. “I just hope they’ll all turn out – all ages – and have a good time,” he said. Davis continues to dazzle crowds, conjuring up electrifying shows featuring classic hits as well as new songs. “The thing is you have to keep the passion of playing,” he said. “What you give to the audience ... if it’s good, they give it back to you.”  

LARGO - Spencer Davis takes the stage with the latest incarnation of The Spencer Davis Group on Monday, May 12, 7:30 p.m., at Largo Cultural Center, 105 Central Park Drive.

Tickets are $32 VIP, $29 in advance and $32 day of show. Call 587-6793 or visit www.largo.com.
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2008 at 1:55am by TenThousandMotels »  

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Blackwater, Hampshire
Re: Spencer Davis
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2008 at 12:24pm
The Spencer Davis Group released some fantastic singles in the 1960's. They really are part of the soundtrack of the decade.

I actually saw them live a few years back as part of a package tour. They weren’t very good in all honesty - rather lame in fact.

I think Steve Winwood was just much a part of the group for it to work without him.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2008 at 11:25pm
I saw Spencer in 2003 in Arlington Heights, Illinois. It was an outside concert, on a bill with 3 other acts. I was able to stand up front and I just stood there with my mouth open at first. To me, he is such a legend. He sounded really good---vocally and instrumentally. So glad I got to see him!

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2008 at 9:44am
I have been addicted to their version of "Keep on Running" lately.  Heavy Ipod rotation.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4 - May 7th, 2008 at 9:50am
love the live 66 disc!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)