Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coachella!!!!!!!!!! (Read 606 times)
ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Coachella!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:44am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Here is my best shot at a review. I am still pretty burned because I went out every night since.

I won tickets and VIP Wristbands. I went Friday and Saturday, gave away Sunday. Organization and facilities were outstanding. The only lines I waited in the whole time were to get in and out. I took part in the water recycling program, 10 empties for 1 fresh one. It would take all of 2 minutes to fill up a trash bag. Probably saved myself about $50.

Also got to see some of my absolute best friends in the whole world who I never see very much anymore so that made the whole thing a great weekend on it's own.

Friday I saw -

Slightly Stoopid & John Butler Trio (ambience as I was exploring)

Black Kids - good

Breeders - great, made it one layer of people to the stage. When they hit all the stage all the previous stress this whole thing was causing me melted away into pure excitement with chills going up and down my spine. Someone passed out a few feet away and passed over the barricade and led off.

Tegan And Sara - good though I don't know the new album and that was mostly what they played. Saw a kid (6-ish) try to rush the stage with both parents and security trying to pull him off as he wrapped his hands around a metal railing on the video camera platform right before the stage. WTF is someone taking a kid that young to a festival anyway?

Raconteurs - Great

The Verve - okay

Fatboy Slim - great for the first 5 minutes then incredibly boring. Right before he went on I saw a drug deal go down right in front of me. It looked like the classic undercover buy-bust that people were warning about on the Coachella message board. I was thinking "Don't Do It!" but they guy gobbled them on the spot and said "I have never been to a concert where it was so hard to get drugs."

while I was waiting for my friend on the other side of the ticket takers Friday, some guy was yelling his head off coming through because security confiscated his joint. I guess he is already a casualty from too much prior usage if he can't sneak in a single joint!

Saturday: Got there early. The friends I crashed with also won camping passes which they gave me. Cut through the campground and saved myself probably an hour in line.

Saw:

Little Brother (Rapper, partial set)

Carbon/Silicon - good. Played almost an hour. Good set, glad I was able to make it in early since I missed the 2 previous LA shows.

(hung out in the techno tent and also spent the only money of the day, $6 for a slice of pizza and $15 for the Breeders CD)

Cold War Kids - okay at first, then got a little boring

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - came in during the first song and spread out on the grass. Real jammy. Sounded good at ground level.

(Attempted Scars On Broadway scheduled at 6:10, but by 6:25 they were still having technical difficulties so I headed back to the main stage)

Death Cab For Cutie - kinda boring, all the songs sounded the same.

Kraftwerk - great at first but electronic music requires a certain mood and frame of mind and it started to get boring fast.  "We Are The Robots" being performed by robots was great.

Portishead - Amazing. Too bad a field packed with 50,000 drunks isn't really an appropriate venue for lounge music.

Prince - Absolutely the best show of the night, if not all year. Guests Morris Day and Sheila E. I only knew about 4 songs. Though I was nearly falling asleep, got a second wind out of this one.

Prince over at 1:02, out of the parking lot at 2:30, in Anaheim at 4:45 where I bussed it home, finally making it in at 8:30. Slept most of the day so I was pretty refreshed for

Throw Rag/Lower Class Brats at Safari Sam's

Monday, I sat down to try and write a proper review but I couldn't think of anything to say so I went to Amoeba for Does It Offend You Yeah who were great then Free Monday at the Echo for some world famous Echo Park Elevator Music, well if your whole world is Echo Park and Silver Lake.

Then last night I went to see the Breeders do a full headline show at the Glasshouse.

I usually hate these things and used to cringe every time I heard the annual Bowie rumor and also have nightmares of a Faith No More reunion but now I am already looking forward to next year.

The only downside was a major nosebleed during Kraftwerk and getting a few drops of blood on my yellow vintage 1993 7 Year Bitch T shirt. (I had to dig pretty deep to find something that wasn't black). I also lost a small patch of skin in a hiding place while bringing in contraband but I will leave that to your imagination.

Any questions?

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Re: Coachella!!!!!!!!!!
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 1:17pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Most of those bands don't interest me, but it looks like you saw some great acts (Prince, Racs).  Any surprises from their sets?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)