Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Jini telling the truth to the world © Don't remember!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
R.I.P : aLbert in the Sky with Diamonds (Read 2,206 times)
Jeep
Rocks Off Regular

Frogland
R.I.P : aLbert in the Sky with Diamonds
Apr 30th, 2008 at 5:25am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
LSD discoverer dead at 102

Chemist Albert Hofmann's accidental drug odyssey turned a generation on to power of psychedelics

Apr 30, 2008 04:30 AM
Thomas H. Maugh II
LOS ANGELES TIMES

Albert Hofmann, the Swiss chemist who discovered LSD and gave the psychedelic generation the pharmaceutical vehicle to turn on, tune in and drop out, has died. He was 102.

Hofmann died yesterday at his home in Basel, Switzerland, of a heart attack.

Hofmann also identified and synthesized the active ingredients of peyote mushrooms and a Mexican psychoactive plant called ololiuqui and developed at least three non-psychoactive compounds that became widely used in medicine.

Those other feats would have been little remembered, however, had he not accidentally gotten a trace amount of an experimental compound called lysergic acid diethylamide on his fingertips and taken the world's first acid trip.

Hofmann was a talented synthetic chemist working for Sandoz Laboratories – now Novartis – in the 1930s when he began studying the chemistry of ergot, the common name for a fungus that grows on rye, barley and certain other plants.

In the early 1930s, U.S. researchers had identified the primary active ingredient of ergot, a chemical called lysergic acid.

In 1938, one of the derivatives of lysergic acid he made was lysergic acid diethylamide, (in German, lyserg-saure-diathylamid), or LSD-25.

Hofmann had hoped it would be a stimulant for the respiratory and circulatory systems but testing in experimental animals showed no significant activity for the drug and it was abandoned.

Prompted by LSD's "peculiar" qualities, Hoffman decided to look at it again. On April 16, 1943, Hofmann had just completed synthesizing a new batch when, he subsequently wrote to his supervisor, "I was forced to interrupt my work in the laboratory in the middle of the afternoon and proceed home, being affected by a remarkable restlessness, combined with slight dizziness.

"At home, I lay down and sank into a not-unpleasant intoxicated-like condition, characterized by an extremely stimulated imagination. In a dreamlike state I perceived an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors. After some two hours, this condition faded away."

The next week, he took what he considered to be an extremely small dose of LSD but instead was surprised to encounter the first bad acid trip.

"Everything in the room spun around, and the familiar objects and pieces of furniture assumed grotesque, threatening forms," he wrote in his autobiography, LSD: My Problem Child.

LSD was initially hailed as a wonder drug for use in psychoanalysis, particularly for gaining insights into schizophrenia; and more than 2,000 research papers appeared over the succeeding decade.

The Central Intelligence Agency investigated LSD as a potential agent for mind control, and the British government studied it as a truth drug. In both cases, the drug was administered to subjects who were not informed of its nature.

By the 1960s, largely at the instigation of Harvard University psychologists Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert, LSD began to be seen first as a pathway to spiritual enlightenment, then as a major recreational drug.

"Instead of a `wonder child,' LSD suddenly became my `problem child,'" Hofmann said.

In 1966, the U.S. banned its use, followed by most other countries.

After dozens of acid trips, Hofmann finally gave up psychedelics. "I know LSD; I don't need to take it anymore," he said.

Hofmann is survived by his wife, Anita; two daughters, a son, eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Re: R.I.P : aLbert in the Sky with Diamonds
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 6:37am
I might try some acid this week, but i am scared to death to tell the truth.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 6:41am
Goodbye Albert, thanks for that Tongue

Turn off your mind, relax
and float down stream

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 7:39am
Goodbye Albert, thanks for that Tongue

yes

Albert did open up a whole new frontier did he not?

Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:26am by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 9:57am
corgi37 wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 6:37am:
I might try some acid this week, but i am scared to death to tell the truth.

Don't be afeert Corgo-bang.  Don't listen to all the prohibitionists in the liberal media, Acid is your friend.  Fry man, fry.  The only tough thing I ever encountered on acid was coming down.  Coming down can be hard because you brain needs to clean up all the tornado like mess you have inflicted upon yourself.  You got to make sure you have a place to chill and stockage of bongs or booze.  Bongs can really help you come down.  Transition mode.

And make sure you are outside.  Inside gets creepy.  And don't do acid with females.  Shrooms is great to do with women, acid not so much.  Its a solitary thing or a guy thing.  Last time I did acid was 11 years ago in Vegas.  Me and my buddy walked up to some guy panhandling and my buddy on a whim says "Dude, got any lysergic?"  The fucking guy pulls out a plastic bag with the trademark perforated sheets.  $3 nads a hit.  God was telling us we had to do acid and god was right like he is most of the time.  Best damn trip you can get is on the Vegas Strip.  Everything you need right there, acid, booze, flashing lights, and a tens of thousands of people on drugs.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:19am
oh yes. definitely OUTSIDE!.  BAd things can happen inside.  And the wood floors come alive.
its a bit too much. strange what a little fungus can do ...definitely organic shrooms far better than chemical replication...imho.  tho its been years..t.t.t.t.

but i'll never forget when mt. charleston melted before my eyes and almost washed me away...WOAH

i'm feeling strangely tingly all of a sudden....
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:22am by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:45am
Guess Albert in the sky with diamonds took his last trip.... Sad RIP, at a ripe, old age.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 11:50am
He was Swiss/Helvetian, not Austrian as the liberal media wanted everyone to believe.  The guy lived to 102 years doing Cid.  Lysergic.  Mikes.  Tabs.  Panes.  Fry.  C.

"Not much officer, we're just two dudes on Cid."

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Jeep
Rocks Off Regular

Frogland
Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 12:34pm
A song for you Albert, by the
J
e
f
f
e
r
s
o
n
A
i
r
p
l
a
n
e
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj8MpszNics

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 1:01pm
A giant in the History of Man...I follow in his bike path whenever possible

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Brainbell Jangler
Rocks Off Regular

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - May 1st, 2008 at 8:01pm
Thanks again, Doc.

"The ROLLING STONES are more than just a group--they are a way of life."--Andrew Loog Oldham

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2008 at 7:39am
RIP

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)