Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help for job interview  nsc (Read 2,505 times)
Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
help for job interview  nsc
Apr 27th, 2008 at 4:15pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I have a friend that has an interview late this week and is concerned what to say about why he left his last job, he doesn't want to throw the old Co under the bus and blow his chances- any ideas!

IP Logged

Jumacfly
Rocks Off Regular

He Men Emotional Rescue
Lovers Society Chairman

Montpellier
Re: help for job interview  nsc
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 4:52pm
"When I first heard ABB, I ve decided to quit my job" could do it

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 4:53pm
Jumacfly wrote on Apr 27th, 2008 at 4:52pm:
"When I first heard ABB, I ve decided to quit my job" could do it

consistently postin above the rim.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:33pm
Some Guy wrote on Apr 27th, 2008 at 4:15pm:
I have a friend that has an interview late this week and is concerned what to say about why he left his last job, he doesn't want to throw the old Co under the bus and blow his chances- any ideas!

Best not to blame Timberlake for breaking up the band.
Take the high road and say you left to pursue other opportunities.

And then bide your time at Petco until the reunion tour...
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2008 at 5:44pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 7:36pm
Best reasons for quitting a job, to avoid telling the brutal truth.
Family came first...
Commute was too long...
I decided happiness was more important than salary...

I got millions, if anyone ever had to work around being strung out, in jail or just fucking over an employer it was me. And i worked for two pretty big companies, that had extensive interviews and reference checks ect...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 7:52pm
Pdog wrote on Apr 27th, 2008 at 7:36pm:
Best reasons for quitting a job, to avoid telling the brutal truth.
Family came first...
Commute was too long...
I decided happiness was more important than salary...

I got millions, if anyone ever had to work around being strung out, in jail or just fucking over an employer it was me. And i worked for two pretty big companies, that had extensive interviews and reference checks ect...

not bad, keep them coming-

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 10:25pm
If you need to, tell them the Co. you worked for is a fine company. Tell them that your talents and abilities are more suited to their company, do some research about the company, tell them how you would make their company better/more profitable. Of course, substitute your friend's name for "you" in the above sentences! Wink

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 11:25pm
" I have a friend that has an interview late this week and is concerned what to say about why he left his last job, he doesn't want to throw the old Co under the bus and blow his chances- any ideas ! "

Some Guy  --- We saw SAL this evening at the IMAX  .

*** YES !!! ****   Friggin Outstanding !!!!    ... BEST STONES YET !!!!

Highlights : Some Girls , She Was Hot , All Down The Line  , Buddy Guy , Jack White III , and that Hot Christina Aguiliara  -- I am still chubbin'   -- In fact  , when Mick ' Dogged Her ' and she ' yelped '  -- I actually stood up in the theatre and applauded . True Story .

I remain ... forever ... your ' kins .

'kins , Est. 1999

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 12:19am
Hi.

I actually have had loads of job interviews in several different states and with several different kinds of companies and different organizations. Every few interviews or so you get a little more relaxed and less nervous about it. After many, you are not really nervous much at all really.

SPECIAL NOTE: The more comfortable you seem, the more likely you will get hired. By comfortable this means not desperate, confident, sure of yourself, and most important ...in control of yourself, and a strong awareness of the environment around you.   >NOTE: Without being cocky or arrogant.

You should tell your friend that he should tell the new company he left his old job because he was looking for more hours, or possibly better opportunity for advancement in which the company did not promote often from within enough. If your friend left on good terms (lets assume here he or she did)tell your friend to some-how make that known if asked about why he or she left the old company.

*Tell your friend NOT to mention that it was too many hours, or too little pay. Although this certainly may be a valid reason it doesn't seem sit well with interviewers or prospective employers. These things should not be mentioned and may put them off.

Most importantly tell your friend to STAY AS POSITIVE about himself, and his past jobs as possible and to not bring up the negatives about his other jobs or anything going on in his or her life. Employers do not want any negativity or complaining about past experiences in the interview (if ever). They want all positive thinking and out-put.

Ian
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2008 at 12:27am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 7:11am
Joey wrote on Apr 27th, 2008 at 11:25pm:
" I have a friend that has an interview late this week and is concerned what to say about why he left his last job, he doesn't want to throw the old Co under the bus and blow his chances- any ideas ! "

Some Guy  --- We saw SAL this evening at the IMAX  .

*** YES !!! ****   Friggin Outstanding !!!!    ... BEST STONES YET !!!!

Highlights : Some Girls , She Was Hot , All Down The Line  , Buddy Guy , Jack White III , and that Hot Christina Aguiliara  -- I am still chubbin'   -- In fact  , when Mick ' Dogged Her ' and she ' yelped '  -- I actually stood up in the theatre and applauded . True Story .

I remain ... forever ... your ' kins .

'kins , Est. 1999  

Joey, I actually stood up in my office after reading this post and applauded. Great job my friend, keep up the good work!
Best Joey... today.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 7:17am
Ian Billen wrote on Apr 28th, 2008 at 12:19am:
Hi.

I actually have had loads of job interviews in several different states and with several different kinds of companies and different organizations. Every few interviews or so you get a little more relaxed and less nervous about it. After many, you are not really nervous much at all really.

SPECIAL NOTE: The more comfortable you seem, the more likely you will get hired. By comfortable this means not desperate, confident, sure of yourself, and most important ...in control of yourself, and a strong awareness of the environment around you.   >NOTE: Without being cocky or arrogant.

You should tell your friend that he should tell the new company he left his old job because he was looking for more hours, or possibly better opportunity for advancement in which the company did not promote often from within enough. If your friend left on good terms (lets assume here he or she did)tell your friend to some-how make that known if asked about why he or she left the old company.

*Tell your friend NOT to mention that it was too many hours, or too little pay. Although this certainly may be a valid reason it doesn't seem sit well with interviewers or prospective employers. These things should not be mentioned and may put them off.

Most importantly tell your friend to STAY AS POSITIVE about himself, and his past jobs as possible and to not bring up the negatives about his other jobs or anything going on in his or her life. Employers do not want any negativity or complaining about past experiences in the interview (if ever). They want all positive thinking and out-put.

Ian

Ian thanks, I forwarded your comments and some of the others-
he left his job before the previous job before the last one after the death of his father to help his mother who also passed some months afterwards, he was a mess and was out for 11 months. The next job was just to stressful and too much politics involved with bad attitudes and haters that wanted to see him fail, he bolted on good terms and can use the reference there but he was only there 5 months and feels he needs a great reason for leaving that last job to get a new one- thanks!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 9:53am
" SPECIAL NOTE: The more comfortable you seem, the more likely you will get hired. By comfortable this means not desperate, confident, sure of yourself, and most important ...in control of yourself, and a strong awareness of the environment around you.   >NOTE: Without being cocky or arrogant.  "

Amen !!!!!!!

Great Stuff Ian .

J.

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)