Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
N.S.C - The Secrets Out - Elvis DID visit England (Read 3,963 times)
Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
N.S.C - The Secrets Out - Elvis DID visit England
Apr 22nd, 2008 at 2:15am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Revealed . . . how Elvis visited London
(with a little help from rock rival Tommy Steele)

By PAUL HARRIS (Daily Mail)

They say the King never set foot in England.

But in 1958, an American boy with a sneering smile and perfect Southern manners was shown around town.

His guide was a cheeky Cockney lad with a mop of blond hair.

But the day a young Tommy Steele showed Elvis Presley the sights of London has remained a rock 'n' roll secret for 50 years.

Elvis the same year: He is said to have rung Steele to ask, 'Are you as good as me?'

Until one of Steele's friends blurted it out on the radio yesterday.

Had the pair been spotted together in Britain at the time there would almost certainly have been a riot.

Presley, then 23, needed military guards to control crowds whenever he appeared in public in the U.S. while 21-year-old Steele was widely, if briefly, being billed as his British equivalent.

The story of Elvis and Tommy's trip around the city was told in a pre-recorded Radio 2 interview yesterday with showbusiness impresario Bill Kenwright, who has known Steele for decades.

He let listeners to Ken Bruce's show, Tracks of My Years, know how Steele had told him about the visit. Unfortunately he hadn't realised the singer had guarded the secret for so long.

Yesterday he told the Daily Mail: "I'm absolutely steeped in 50s rock 'n' roll. I love it.

"So when I get together with Tommy Steele I just say, 'Tell me about Buddy Holly...tell me about Guy Mitchell, and that sort of thing'. He's a great storyteller and he can just reel them off.

"I remember him telling me about when Elvis came to England very quietly.

"Evidently Tommy got home one night and the phone rings. A voice says, 'They tell me you're good'.

Rock rival: Tommy Steele in action in 1958

"Tommy says, 'Who's this?' 'Elvis,' says the voice. 'Get outta here,' says Tommy. 'Are you as good as me?' says Elvis...and they sort of started this mock rivalry.

"It all came from that. It's quite something, isn't it - the thought of them wandering around London together?

"But the impression I got was that they never got out of the car. It was more like, "There's Buckingham Palace ...there's the Houses of Parliament".

"Tommy is a very private person who doesn't go into the past. It's only me who makes him talk about it. As soon as I started talking about it on the radio I wondered if I'd done the right thing.

"I remember saying, 'Bloody hell - I hope that was all right'. I'm sure Tommy will want to kill me when he finds out."

Mr Kenwright said the date of the Presley visit was some time in 1958 - the year Pele's magic won the World Cup for Brazil.

That timing raised the possibility that Presley, who joined the U.S. Army in March that year and saw service in Germany, might have been in uniform, his slicked back quiff shaved into a military short back and sides.

Everywhere he performed, his female fans were swept into the kind of hysteria that would not be seen on this side of the Atlantic until the advent of Beatlemania.

Yet Britain - already jiving to Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock - never got to see an Elvis show.

He returned two years later for the briefest of stopovers, not getting any farther south than Ayrshire. At the time he was returning to the U.S. after serving in the Army in Germany in March 1960.

He stopped off at Prestwick airport when the military DC-7 touched down to refuel.

Archive pictures show him there in his sergeant's uniform, signing autographs and phoning his teenage sweetheart Priscilla, soon to become his bride.

That night he told the crowds gathered to see him: "This is quite a country. I must see more of it."

But he never did. And the belief that the airport stopover was his sole visit was set in stone. So why didn't Tommy Steele simply set the record straight?

Last night the 71-year-old entertainer-performing in Dr Dolittle in Woking, Surrey, retained his discretion.

In a note to the Daily Mail he wrote: "What actually happened many years ago is something secret and memorable.

"It was an event shared by two young men sharing the same love of their music and the same thrill of achieving something unimaginable.

"I swore never to divulge publicly what took place and I regret that it has found some way of 'getting into the light'."

"I can only hope he can forgive me."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_artic...

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: N.S.C - The Secrets Out - Elvis DID visit Engl
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 6:18am
Wow......how interesting. Secrets always have a way of coming out.... Shocked

Shut the fuck up now :youmademecrylikeababy

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 6:23am
It's a fairy tale.  It did not happen.  It's like Morrison traveling down to Nellcote in spring 1971, a good story....that's all.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 7:39am
lotsajizz wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 6:23am:
It's a fairy tale.  It did not happen.  It's like Morrison traveling down to Nellcote in spring 1971, a good story....that's all.

why would Tommy Steele be lying?

Some rare photos of Elvis at Prestwick, Scotland March 1960

http://www.rockmine.com/Elvis.html

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:47am
It's a fairy tale.  It did not happen.  It's like Morrison traveling down to Nellcote in spring 1971, a good story....that's all.

he did spend a weekend in Paris, though (Elvis, that is - we all know what happened when Jimbo went there.....) - find it hard to imagine in an 18 month spell in Germany he never went anywhere else while on leave.

That said, its hard to believe it was never documented until now. Tommy Steele seems a believable enough person though.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:51am
Gazza wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:47am:

he did spend a weekend in Paris, though (Elvis, that is - we all know what happened when Jimbo went there.....) - find it hard to imagine in an 18 month spell in Germany he never went anywhere else while on leave.

That said, its hard to believe it was never documented until now. Tommy Steele seems a believable enough person though.

Gazza

Dylan is moving way too fast in your signature..... Wink

We all love fairy tales....

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:53am
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:51am:
Gazza wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:47am:

Gazza

Dylan is moving way too fast in your signature..... Wink

We all love fairy tales....

Even Prince cant move that fast!

... ... ...
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:55am
  Roll Eyes

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 11:22am
I hope this story is true - I'd like to believe he was able to sneak beyond Col Tom's radar for something more rewarding than a visit with Nixon.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 12:26pm

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:13pm
Ginda wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 11:22am:
I hope this story is true - I'd like to believe he was able to sneak beyond Col Tom's radar for something more rewarding than a visit with Nixon.

Quite possible, Ginda, considering the Ol' Bastard never once left the US during the entire time Elvis was stationed overseas.

Of course, with hindsight now we know why. He wouldnt have been allowed back.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:18pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 1:13pm:

Quite possible, Ginda, considering the Ol' Bastard never once left the US during the entire time Elvis was stationed overseas.

Of course, with hindsight now we know why. He wouldnt have been allowed back.

Ol' Bastard is right.  He used and abused our boy.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 4:50pm

C'mon this will be just a minor historical footnote.....

...compared to this...!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)