Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Pre Poll - GREATEST FRONTMAN EVER besides Mick (Read 1,845 times)
Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Re: Pre Poll - GREATEST FRONTMAN EVER besides Mick
Apr 19th, 2008 at 4:38pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
TenThousandMotels wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 4:29pm:
Just list 5. Let's say Tuesday night 10 PM EST, I'll add and grab the top 5 and post the poll and they can vote from there. If anyone wants to list a "solo" artist go for it. Only 5 will float to the top anyway....if by chance some solo artist happens to make the top 5 so be it. I'll post a poll about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin later.
  You rock!

Great TTm, it's about time there was another poll, I pick (on top of my head) Roger Daltry, Bowie, steve Tyler, Iggy Pop, Bruce Springsteen, Freddy Mercury, Alice cooper, Robert Plant, that's as far as my mind goes now, unless I do research.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:27pm
Heck, unlike the old board it seems that  deleting the first post doesn't get rid of the thread.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008 at 3:03am by TenThousandMotels »  

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:46am
John Kay of Steppenwolf Wink
Mitch Ryder of the Detroit Wheels Undecided
Mike Smith Of Dave Clark 5 (In Honor) Cry
You To THink Of It Mick is the one and only everyone else is weak in comparrison. He is the definition of front man of a band  Undecided

http://rocksoff.org/messageboard/Templates/Forum/default/charliesgoodtonite.gif

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Like Butter
Rocks Off Regular

We need the funk, gotta
have the funk!

Burning In Hell
Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:13am
You rock!

Ray Interview link from q104 3 in NYC...

http://www.q1043.com/cc-common/mediaplayer...=WAXQ-FM&TRACK=

and here's a review of that March 30, 1971 show...

Coming Out At Philharmonic Hall

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Kinks, who as every aging rock'n'roller knows, rank among the Beatles and the Stones in the pantheon of English pop stars, the Kinks who have been so top of it ever since the beginning without ever becoming superstars, the same Kinks who gave us "You Really Got Me", "Tired of Waiting", "Set Me Free", "Dedicated Follower of Fashion", "A Well Respected Man", "All Day and All of the Night," "Plastic Man", "Lola" and more recently "Apeman", those very same Kinks rocked the Philharmonic Hall last week with a one-night stand so pregnant with meaning it should have been filmed or taped for posterity. It was the kind of performance you would expect from Judy Garland , Hank Williams or Brian Jones. Only this time it was Raymond Douglas Davies, the guiding genius behind the Kinks, who showed us how some of us react to the Strum and Drang of contemporary civilization. It was more than a rock performance - more of a psycho-drama and a bit like a coming out party.
Ray Davies, who shares lead vocals with his brother Dave, did the coming out, although it looked for a few moments as if he might also come apart in the process. Ray is the group's heavy talent, the man responsible for most of their songs, and the co-author of a memorable television drama (not seen in this country) about a suburbanite named Arthur Morgan, the score of which was written by Ray and performed by the group. It became one of their best albums, "Arthur."

Waving his arms and wiggling his ass, Ray fluttered on stage to the delight of the audience, wearing a velvet suit and bow tie, horn rimmed glasses and pursed lips. He cooed into the microphone and carried on like a music hall performer trying to do Mick Jagger, Oscar Wilde, Ondine, and Ernie Kovacs Percy Dovetonsils all at the same time. It was very campy and it knocked out most of the audience, except for a few people with puzzled grins who didn't quite know how to react. Half-way through the first number it became obvious that Davies was very, very high on something more euphoric than audience feedback. In fact, he was having trouble standing up.

He managed to never miss a note, however, until midway through the third song, "Ape Man", which the audience joined in singing. Ray seemed deeply moved by the audience's response as they sang "I don't feel safe in this world no more / I don't wanna die in a nuclear war / I want to sail away to a distant shore / And make like an Apeman." Then he tottered and began falling backwards.

The audience realized it wasn't a gag when he reeled back, his eyes closed, picking up momentum as he backed up, closer and closer to a 12-foot high bank of speakers and amps. Brother Dave stepped aside, letting him pass, and Ray plunged into the speakers. He and the equipment went down in a great electronic squawk. An instant bummer. Everybody thought it was all over. People have come to expect the worst. Especially at rock concerts.

Ray went down, but not out. People ran from backstage and some of the audience clambered up to help and anguished stares turned to relieved moans as Davie's voice wafted over the PA system, singing "la-la-la la-la I'm an Apeman......" Too much.

"Listen" Ray said after the last chorus, "let's forget what this world did to us and just enjoy ourselves." The audience clapped for that. What else can you do?

Davies stayed on his feet for the remainder of the set, picking and singing through a string of oldies introducing the band and camping around, imitating Johnny Cash and lapsing into a rendering of "You Are My Sunshine." The audience sang along but quit after one chorus. It was up and down like that right to the end, when a medley of blasts from the pasts brought the remainder of the audience to their feet and prompted the stoking of many, many joints. A few people started coming up on stage now to shake hands with the band. Davies told everyone he loved them and the feeling was mutual and then the Kinks went off.

But they came back. For a rock'em, sock'em finale that brought the house down the aisles and up on stage, where they trampled Davie's guitar and milled around acting insane, while speakers thundered and cracked as cords were pulled from guitars and microphones were toppled. Quite a scene. A detachment of New York's finest finally appeared out of nowhere and shooed everyone off stage, and we all staggered home, minds blown again.

I was tempted to go backstage and give Raymond Douglas Davies a pep talk on responsibility, etc., but I shrugged it off. Later on I was told that when he came down Raymond Douglas agreed it was a bum trip and that he had some regrets. I hope so, I mean, there are enough bad trips going down these days. I don't have to go to a rock concert to find one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard Nusser
The Village Voice - April 8, 1971

INVITATION TO THE VOYAGE&&by: Charles Baudelaire&&&&"Imagine the magic&&of living together&&there, with all the time in the world&&for loving each other,&&for loving and dying&&where even the landscape resembles you:&&the suns dissolved&&in overcast skies&&have the same mysterious charm for me&&as your wayward eyes&&through crystal tears,&&my sister, my child!&&&&All is order there, and elegance,&&pleasure, peace, and opulence.&&&&

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:18am
TenThousandMotels wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:27pm:
Heck, unlike the old board it seems that  deleting the first post doesn't get rid of the thread.

Think before you post!!!

IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 7:31am
[quote author=Pdog
Think before you post!!! [/quote]

GOOD GOD!
Thanks for the heads up. I've thougt all this time that the two concepts were mutually exclusive.
Now Drink before you post.....I can understand that idea  Let's go get drunk
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2008 at 7:32am by TenThousandMotels »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)