Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Did Dan or anyone in LA go to this show? (nsc) (Read 2,058 times)
fishook
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Did Dan or anyone in LA go to this show? (nsc)
Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:36am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

to live outside the law you must be honest

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Did Dan or anyone in LA go to this show? (nsc)
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 11:36am
I wish. THat would have been awesome. I attempted a show in December but got there 5 mins before showtime and there was a line around the building. Waited a bit until I heard Jonny Polonsky (who I wanted to see) go on inside so I bailed.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:07pm
That's one hell of a line-up!!

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

doo doo doo Dude
Rocks Off Regular

Los Angeles
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:11pm
Would have loved to have caught wind of this show happening. Nice to see that Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro are on speaking terms again. Perhaps the mighty Jane's Addiction will live to see another day....

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:20pm
more rock and roll and liberal politics!!! I love it. Who is headlining the Big Oil for Pollution Tour this summer?

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:25pm
doo doo doo Dude wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:11pm:
Would have loved to have caught wind of this show happening. Nice to see that Perry Farrell and Dave Navarro are on speaking terms again. Perhaps the mighty Jane's Addiction will live to see another day....

They are playing an awards ceremony with Eric Avery back.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:25pm
Pdog wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:20pm:
more rock and roll and liberal politics!!! I love it. Who is headlining the Big Oil for Pollution Tour this summer?

This sounds like every major tour!

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

doo doo doo Dude
Rocks Off Regular

Los Angeles
Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:34pm
ijwthstd wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:25pm:
doo doo doo Dude wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:11pm:

They are playing an awards ceremony with Eric Avery back.

Are you serious?! If Avery is back in the fold then I gotta see this. He has been sorely missed the last few go arounds

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 1:26pm
The four original members of pioneering alternative rock band Jane's Addiction will perform for the first time in almost 17 years next week, temporarily burying the hatchet so they can receive an award for career achievement.

Bass player Eric Avery, who had declined to play with the band since it first broke up in 1991, said on Tuesday he would hit the stage at the inaugural NME Awards in Los Angeles on April 23 with singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins.

His bandmates, who have resurrected Jane's Addiction a few times, had previously agreed to attend the event at the El Rey Theatre, leaving Avery once again as the holdout.

The band will be honored with the "Godlike Genius Award" for its contribution to the development of alternative rock with such albums as 1988's "Nothing's Shocking" and 1990's "Ritual de lo Habitual."

"I have always considered reunions to be a way to make a quick buck, and it sells short my own experience of it the first time around," Avery said in a statement. "The reason I started to even consider this is because it's honoring the past instead of trying to recreate it."

Avery has kept a relatively low profile since leaving Jane's Addiction and just released his first solo album.

The band first reunited in 1997, with a succession of bass players filling in for Avery, including Red Hot Chili Peppers member Flea.

The last Jane's Addiction show was in December 2003 when the band, featuring session musician Chris Chaney, cut short a tour to promote its album, "Strays." The split was acrimonious but evidently not irreparable.

In a statement on his blog published on Sunday, Navarro said he, Farrell and Perkins "have been speaking regularly (and) have decided to focus on what's most important ... The music."

His comments doubled as a preemptive strike against journalists and bloggers inclined to bring up old quotes in which the band members trashed each other.

"Everybody in the world has said something over the top due to an emotional charge," Navarro said. "The bottom line is that we have been getting along great and are moving forward with our personal and musical relationships."

The NME Awards are being held by British music magazine NME, which has organized an event in the UK since the 1950s.

Thanks for the info to Yahoo! News.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

doo doo doo Dude
Rocks Off Regular

Los Angeles
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 1:39pm
Jane's Addiction reunites at L.A. bash

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The four original members of pioneering alternative rock band Jane's Addiction performed in public for the first time in 17 years on Wednesday, burying their differences to receive an award for career achievement.

Singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins hit the stage at the inaugural NME Awards in Los Angeles with bass player Eric Avery, who had declined to play with the band since it first broke up in September 1991.

They performed four tunes, including "Mountain Song" and an acoustic version of "Jane Says" for an excited crowd of about 400 people at the El Rey Theatre.

"We made it and I'm really happy to be here," said Farrell, alternately guzzling from a bottle of red wine and dispensing its contents to fans in the mosh pit.

The quartet received the Godlike Genius Award -- a trophy of a clenched fist with the middle finger pointed skyward -- for their contribution to the development of alternative rock.

Jane's Addiction emerged from the Los Angeles rock underground in the 1980s, distinguishing itself from other post-punk groups with Farrell's sexually ambiguous stagecraft and the musicians' deft ear for melodic tunes. They recorded just three albums and scored radio play with such songs as "Been Caught Stealing" and "Jane Says."

But drug-fueled friction led to the band's demise and the original lineup played their last gig in Hawaii in 1991. The band reunited in 1997 with Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea coming aboard as the first of several substitutes for Avery.

The last show was in December 2003 when the band cut short a tour. The split was bitter but evidently not irreparable.

While Farrell, Navarro and Perkins readily agreed to accept the NME award when it was announced, Avery sat on the fence. He finally came around last week, declaring in a statement he was happy to honor the past "instead of trying to recreate it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYFsWBpsTGc
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2008 at 1:40pm by doo doo doo Dude »  

IP Logged

fishook
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2008 at 4:15pm
fishook wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:36am:

Here's my review of what happened on the Chicago stop of the Tom Morello / Nightwatchman tour:

Okay, yesterday (5/1/08) I first went to the lunchtime rally:

At a little over 1:30, I left work, walked through the pedway to get to the east side of Dearborn Street, and walked south until I got to the mayday rally at Federal Plaza.  I walked around the crowd a bit, until I settled into a spot just east of the podium where the speakers were.   To the north, I spied Etty Farrell, and when she looked in my direction, I waved.  She recognized me because I was in a black suit, like I was when I spoke with her at the Galapalooza announcement that took place a couple of months ago.  I waved my tickets at her and told her I would be at the Park West tonight.  Then I noticed Perry, in a black jacket and black cap a couple of feet away from her.  

I moved back to the east part of the stage.  Someone pointed out that Tom Morello was in the back with his guitar (it was tough to see at first, because people were standing everywhere).  After a couple of speakers, Morello was introduced and played the same acoustic song about unions that I saw him do at the HOB.  Then he brought up Boots Riley, and they did a song that I was unable to recognize (in part because the makeshift sound system that was set up in Federal Plaza wasn't that great).  Then he brought up Shooter Jennings and Jessi Colter, and they did a tune or two.   I noticed that Mayor Daley and Chicago hispanic politician (I don't know if he is an alderman or not) Danny Solis were at the back of the stage, apparently meaning that Daley would speak later.

Morello then led the audience and everyone in a sing-along version of Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land." Morello and Shooter Jennings were on guitar, and vocals were by Etty Farrell, Perry Farrell, Boots Riley, Ben Harper (prominently wearing a Chicago Bears headband), Wayne Kramer, and Jessi Colter.

This may have been the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life.  To have Wayne Kramer, the leader of the MC5 on the same dais, as Richard M. Daley, the mayor of Chicago, and the son of Richard J. Daley, the mayor of Chicago who had to deal with the MC5's performance /riot in Grant Park at the 1968 Democratic Convention.  It was like something from a parallel universe.

After the musicians were done, they exited the stage toward the north.  People were getting pictures taken with Harper.  I espied a free-lance writer who has been writing about the tour.   I introduced myself, and a couple of minutes later she introduced me to Jessi Colter.   Meeting and talking with Jessi Colter was for me what I think it would be like for Voodoo to have a couple minutes discussing Woodstock with Leslie West.

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2008 at 4:25pm by fishook »  

IP Logged

fishook
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2008 at 4:18pm
Then, after dinner, I went to the show at the Park West:

The better half and I then decided to have dinner at Stanley's and when we got back, people were already inside the Park West.    

We were sitting in the first row of bar stools that are set up on a raised platform in the back, but we were at the platform that is stage right, not the platform that is part of the bar area stage left.

From my notes, this is more or less the setlist of what went on, although because I'm not familiar with every artist, some song titles are approximations:

"Acoustic" part of the show:

Mary Morello introduces Tom.

Tom plays:
1.  Union Song
2.  A Wall Against the Wind
3.  Garden of Gesmanthe
4.  Guerilla Radio

Boots Riley:
1.  This is For My Folkers Who Got Bills Overdue

Boots & Tom:
1.  Five Million Ways to Kill a CEO
2.  Wear Clean Drawers

Jessi Colter:
1.  I'm Not Lisa
2.  You Can Pick Them

Jessi Colter & Shooter Jennings:
1. Please carry me home

Shooter Jennings:
1.  Crime Still Doesn't Pay Like it Used To (Kristofferson cover)
2.  Black Ribbons

Shooter and Tom:
1.  I am the Highway [this was magnificent]

Wayne Kramer:
1.  Something Broken in the Promised Land

Wayne with Mars Williams (sax player from the Slamming Watusis, Waitresses, Liquid Soul & Psychedelic Furs):
1.  some word jazz about Charles Bukowski

Ike Reilly:
1.  Fish Plant Uprising
2.  Commie Drives a Nova
(I had seen Reilly years ago, and wasn't impressed then; he blew me away yesterday)

Perry Farrell, Etty Farrell, Carl Restivo (Perry's Satellite Party guitarist and former Satellite Party bassist):
1.  some song about "back and forth it goes" (sorry, not familiar enough with Perry's catalogue)
2.  Tahitian Moon
3.  Jane Says

Ben Harper and 2 of the Innocent Criminals -- Juan Nelson and Oliver Charles
1.  Suicide is Impossible
2.  Living in the Void?
3.  Forgiven
4.  Ground on Down
(I know people really, really loved him, but after a while, I was getting a little tired of him.  Every song sounded like Traveling Riverside Blues done Jimi Hendrix style.  The crowd really ate it up)

Ben Harper, the 2 I.C.'s and Tom Morello:
1.  Gather Round the Storm

IP Logged

fishook
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2008 at 4:20pm
"Electric" part of the show:

Freedom Fighter Orchestra (Carl Restivo, Dave Gibbs a/k/a Kid Lightning, Breckin Meyer, Wayne Kramer, Tom Morello):
1. Kick out the Jams
2.  Cell phone song about Guantanamo
3.  Fortunate Son

FFO and Perry and Etty:
1.  Mountain Song

FFO, Perry, Etty, Boots Riley and Shooter Jennings:
1.  didn't know the song

Above, without Boots, but with Ike Reilly and with Jessi Colter on lead vocals:
1.  Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35

Perry, Etty, Carl, Breckin, Tom, Shooter, Dave, Wayne(Nightwatchman's "party jam"):
1.  Shake my Shit

Perry, Ike, Carl, Tom, Breckin, Ben Harper, Dave, Shooter, Wayne:
1.  Rocking in the Free World

Perry, Carl, Breckin, Tom, Dave, Wayne, plus special surprise guest Sen Dog
1.  Insane in the Membrane

Above, plus Mars and Etty
1.  Rock Superstar with a little bit of Bring the Noise
2.  Jump Around

Everyone except for Mary Morello, Juan Nelson, and Oliver Charles
1.  This Land is Your Land

I don't know if I'll ever be able to top yesterday from a musical standpoint.

IP Logged

polkdog
Rocks Off Regular

western cook county
Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2008 at 4:48pm
^^^ Thanks

"if you know a guy who tucks his t-shirt in, tell him to stop it..." ~ John Doe
&&&&The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)