Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
a couple of thoughts... (Read 15,371 times)
macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

a couple of thoughts...
Apr 16th, 2008 at 7:31pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
but before i mention them, i would like to say "thank you" for the effort of migrating a board - i know how difficult that can be.

so, i had a couple of thoughts/suggestions...

1 - scale the header pics down in size a bit, so that the board topics show up when the page loads. now, all you see is the keef pic, and all the pages look the same when they load, 'cos you only see the pic and what is above it...

2 - adding a non-stones content forum to the general page, so that when we go to the "main board, you get the stickies and the stones-related topics...

does this board have a karma system..? those are always fun to have implemented.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity
Unholy Trinity Admin

ROCKS OFF RULES

Belfast/Santander/Mexico City
Re: a couple of thoughts...
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 8:18pm
We were thinking about an off topic (ie, non-Stones) section but thought it might distract people too much from the main point of what the board is supposed to be here for.

We also noted that a few people elsewhere did mention that they wanted to continue to have it as one board with all the threads in the one place.

While I dont think its a good idea to have too many sub-sections, maybe ONE non-Stones one is worth considering.

Anyone else got any opinions on this?

The Administrators' account
IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 8:57pm
a reply, if i may...

i think people forget that the novogate bbs archived after three pages - this one board is gonna become a bear to deal with soon...

imo, two sections - one stones, one non-stones - would be the best of both worlds: it would keep the variety there, but also keep the important stuff (stones content) somewhat easy to peruse, while not loading down with a ton of specialized child/sub forums...

ymmv

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 9:50pm
I'd rather not have a different area for Stones vs "poppycock", but I see what your saying, macdaddy.

Voodoo is there a good search function? If so then people will be able to locate the post they are looking for 40 pages back.

I've been on boards where it is separated on topic and off and that makes a lot of work for the moderator(s), because inevitably everyday someone posts a non topic thread or 5 or 6 in the wrong place.

If there is an archive system, maybe only allow so many pages in the current, otherwise it is gonna get out of control

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 5:23am
Unholy Trinity wrote on Apr 16th, 2008 at 8:18pm:
We were thinking about an off topic (ie, non-Stones) section but thought it might distract people too much from the main point of what the board is supposed to be here for.

We also noted that a few people elsewhere did mention that they wanted to continue to have it as one board with all the threads in the one place.

While I dont think its a good idea to have too many sub-sections, maybe ONE non-Stones one is worth considering.

IT'S TOO CLUTTERED IMO.
WE NEED SUB-SECTIONS.
YOU NEED NOT GO THE ROUTE OF SHIDOOBEE, BUT COME ON.

The bigger this gets, the less I am liking it.
SUB-SECTIONS...people can avoid what they are not interested in reading.

LJ.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:15am
LadyJane wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 5:23am:
Unholy Trinity wrote on Apr 16th, 2008 at 8:18pm:

IT'S TOO CLUTTERED IMO.
WE NEED SUB-SECTIONS.
YOU NEED NOT GO THE ROUTE OF SHIDOOBEE, BUT COME ON.

The bigger this gets, the less I am liking it.
SUB-SECTIONS...people can avoid what they are not interested in reading.

LJ.

Well, thats what I mean. I personally find Shidoobee a bugger to navigate because there's so MANY subsections and its not always obvious as to where something SHOULD belong.

I dont want to lose sight of the fact that it is primarily a Stones board first and foremost, and personally speaking, having to control the political stuff and the bickering that always ensues from it is a MAJOR pain in the ass, to put it mildly

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:27am
Well if the Political is the biggest pain..  Then just have an area for that.    But once we start sectioning it off, it will become more of a pain in the ass ..

Oh sports..which section is that now
Oh TTM news..oh I gotta go to another section..
Oh the latest concert summit news..

Opening a can of worms..
And I dislike maneuvering Shidoobee. So much I no longer do it
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:28am by PartyDoll MEG »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:47am
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:27am:
Well if the Political is the biggest pain..  Then just have an area for that.  

How about one in Outer Mongolia?

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:49am
Hey you asked for feedback, I'm giving it to ya.
I find the place too damned cluttered.

But whatever.
If I don't like it, I guess I'll just have to find another message board.

LJ.

PS. PLEASE consider a Political Section. I'm so damned sick of the same stuff by the same posters over and over and over again.  Angry

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:58am by LadyJane »  

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:59am
I like how we stickied the current info of the Stones events.  Maybe do that and with any thread that becomes a regular.  But if the topic is hot it will stay up top anyway.  Just please don't sticky the damn politics....I'd say give it it's own thread, but unfortunately it invades every thread we have! Wink

Remember LJ..this is all new and people are playing and learning how it works.  The inane two answer threads will decrease as our pals get their damn post counts back up-lol

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:07am
LadyJane wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:49am:
Hey you asked for feedback, I'm giving it to ya.
I find the place too damned cluttered.

But whatever.
If I don't like it, I guess I'll just have to find another message board.

LJ.

PS. PLEASE consider a Political Section. I'm so damned sick of the same stuff by the same posters over and over and over again.  Angry

Whats your problem? I'm friggin' AGREEING with you. Jesus wept.

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:07am
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:59am:
I like how we stickied the current info of the Stones events.  Maybe do that and with any thread that becomes a regular.  But if the topic is hot it will stay up top anyway.  Just please don't sticky the damn politics....I'd say give it it's own thread, but unfortunately it invades every thread we have! Wink

Remember LJ..this is all new and people are playing and learning how it works.  The inane two answer threads will decrease as our pals get their damn post counts back up-lol

I really do not understand this need for a high post count.
Is this akin to penis size??
Useless threads, nonsense posting. Grow up already.
I am very stressed. Can you tell????

LJ.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:10am
I like how we stickied the current info of the Stones events.  Maybe do that and with any thread that becomes a regular.  But if the topic is hot it will stay up top anyway.  Just please don't sticky the damn politics....I'd say give it it's own thread, but unfortunately it invades every thread we have! Wink

Remember LJ..this is all new and people are playing and learning how it works.  The inane two answer threads will decrease as our pals get their damn post counts back up-lol

Wasnt suggesting offtopic threads being 'stickied' (thats definitely NOT going to happen). I meant having them in a separate forum.

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:13am

[/quote]

Whats your problem? I'm friggin' AGREEING with you. Jesus wept. [/quote]

Bad morning.

LJ.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:14am
Gazza wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:10am:

Wasnt suggesting offtopic threads being 'stickied' (thats definitely NOT going to happen). I meant having them in a separate forum.

A COUPLE of separate forums would be reasonable, imo.
No need to go full blown Shidoobee. I get LOST in there.

LJ.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #15 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:18am
I guess there's always the option of just banning political threads and be over with it, but I wouldn't like that and I think it's opposite to the whole spirit of RO.

I don't know, it's tough to make a call about this. But politics are getting to be quite tiresome to skip through and Stones topics or even Stones related topics are suffering because of that, and I don't see why. After all, if people are so stuck on starting these threads, I'm sure one can find thousands of politics boards to argue and never pay attention to what others are saying  Grin

FotiniD  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:19am
I say do whatever makes YOUR job easier, Gazza! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

And I know you and Voodoo will not go the Shidoobee route! Wink

And LJ..concentrate on work and happy thoughts and go home and enjoy the outdoors.
What a beautiful day it is..
Off to my yearly physical....

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:26am
"And LJ..concentrate on work and happy thoughts and go home and enjoy the outdoors.
What a beautiful day it is..
Off to my yearly physical...."

I wish I could.
Maybe in June.

LJ.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:49am
LadyJane wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:14am:
Gazza wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:10am:

A COUPLE of separate forums would be reasonable, imo.
No need to go full blown Shidoobee. I get LOST in there.

LJ.

Thats how I would see it too. One for Stones and one for everything else (or else one for Stones, one for other music and a third for 'everything else' - ie, sport, politics, thongs, pee pees etc)

We are strongly considering a sub-forum for the Bit Torrents anyway, but then we've kinda already had that. However, it would be within any specific Stones forum if there was one.

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:52am
"Thats how I would see it too. One for Stones and one for everything else (or else one for Stones, one for other music and a third for 'everything else' - ie, sport, politics, thongs, pee pees etc)

We are strongly considering a sub-forum for the Bit Torrents anyway, but then we've kinda already had that. However, it would be within any specific Stones forum if there was one. "

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

LJ.

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 9:58am
My suggestion for starters at least, dearest  Gazza and Voodoo, is an "Only Stones"forum and include the bit torrent in that and leave everything else in the general mix..

Maybe birthdays should be by themselves so as not to get lost in the shuffle, otherwise A "General Mayhem" forum for those people with lots of other things to say.  I would include other musical groups in this mix because after all it is a "Stones Message Board"! Wink

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 10:04am
What is a KARMA section?  Sounds enticing.  I's like to try it?  Roll Eyes

Its ok for me if we keep it all together for now.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #22 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 10:24am
I agree that a MUSIC forum and a NON-MUSIC/politics/absurdist forum is not entirely a bad idea.  But I see why it is a bugaboo - how to make the divide?  Do you only allow Stones?  Only allow Stones + Music?  Stones + Music + Random Dadaist Nonsense that Makes RO RO?  Stones + Music + RDNTMRR + Politics?  The board as it existed was an excellent conglomeration of all four of these elements so it's hard to figure where to draw the line.

I agree with Mac - I think that people are still posting in the old style, and not taking into acc't that there are no more archives.  The search system is actually pretty good - in fact the whole home/help/search/members/favorites/profile nav bar at the top of the page is pretty useful.  It's early days and we all just want RO to work like it did, but hopefully people will slow down a minute and bother to learn the new system, and THEN start abusing and mutilating it for everyone's amusement.  

Is there a thread per page default count for YaBB?  NOVOGATE posted 25 threads a page and we're currently displaying 20, which makes for stuff falling onto the back pages too quickly, which leads to more new topics being posted, which leads to the clutter that LJ is quite rightly not digging.  
Edited:
OOOPS!  I see that this topic is covered in an earlier thread!  SORRY!

But of course, in order to make modifications to the system, someone has to go in and fuck with all that code, and test it, and make sure that it doesn't over-write the already growing archives, and then explain how it works to everyone, which takes goddamn time, and is totally frustrating, and pays doodly friggin squat.  If we all bother to work together rather than just giving up in frustration the MB can be modified and worked on to make it someplace we all like to come and get Stoned and have fun.  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2008 at 10:58am by Nasty Habits »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 1:02pm
Novogate is 50 threads per page, not 25. I cannot find a way to change this feature, probably when we install the new version 2.2.1

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)