Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts About Shine A Light (Read 9,912 times)
wiseblood
Rocks Off Regular

Wading pools and beer
on a hot summer day...

Boston, MA
Thoughts About Shine A Light
Apr 16th, 2008 at 2:15pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
For the last 3 years I have been panning the Stones left and right. 

I, for 2 hours (minus a performance by Christina Aguleria...why she was invited was anybodys guess), got on board with the Rolling Stones for the first time since 2002.  The soundtrack sucks without the movie.  Once I saw them perform, I can dig it.

How about Ronnie?  Did he step up or what?  Again, I have pinned Ronnie as the #2 reason the Stones have sucked the last 6 years (Keith being #1) and Ronnie kicked it up and SHINED.  who knew he remembered how to play after 1974?

Keith still stunk.  He plays the same solo on everything.  Boring.  I hate to say it.  I do.  I just don't think Keith cares.  The one thing he did say about his playing (we're both pretty bad...but better together than 10 guitar players) I could get on board with i suppose...at least during this night...

Mick is still working his ass off, but he appeared ESPECIALLY fem during this show.  Has it always been like this?  Maybe I haven't seen the band this up close ever, but jesus....it was just weird.  i always knew he had a very sexual vibe, either way you swing, but this was just overtly gay which i found weird.

Jack White still sucks.
Christina still doesn't know Live With Me.
Thank you Buddy Guy for bringing relevance to a Rolling Stones stage.

The ending was CHEESY.  i hated that shit at the end with the roll out over the city.  it was just lame.

anyway, good movie.  go see it while it's in the theaters.  it's worth it.

Come on queenie, let's shake it.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Re: Thoughts About Shine A Light
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 2:21pm
X-tina doesn't suck...
Jack White is awesome...
Keef was GREAT...
Ronnie shined...
Mick got me horny!!!
Buddy Guys face scared the Beejeeezers out of me!!!

The ending was cheesey!!! But who cares, I needed some cheese to come down from being blown away!!!

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 2:44pm
Jack White is the coolest dude to show up in Rock n roll in a very long time. Christina Aguilera sang fantastic and I loved the way she wove with Keith's guitar during her solo. Ronnie was as good as ever and Keith played fine. I'd rather have him be repetitive than have all his licks planned out ahead of time and play the songs the same way every time. Mick sounded weak but put on a fantastic show.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 8:33pm
Except some solos by Keith, the whole movie is great.

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 8:39pm
I watched the Rio DVD tonight. I gotta say, the difference between Keith then and Keith at the Beacon is huge. I don't believe in the stroke thing but I think the fall definitely did something. Maybe it's the lack of cocaine??

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 8:39pm
Agree with Soldatti, pdog, et al.  It's the Stones of today (well, 2006).  While I feel there are much better performances from Austin (Biggest Bang), the combination of humorous clips and behind the scenes footage add a lot to the movie without taking away from the concert feel (wish they let "Connection" go without interruption, though).

IP Logged

Bluzian
I'm new!!

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 9:44pm
Thanks to those for the insight for SAL. Im going Friday night with a few cool family members; making it another Family Affair.  I'm having mixed feelings about going, as I doubt it will be as thrilling as "At The Max" from 16 years ago. Alas, after having just seen Buddy Guy in concert again (for the ?th time), I suspect that the Champagne & Reefer will be the highlight. Does Ahmet Ertegun have a cameo? (there arent out-takes of him falling are there??? Ouch!)

IP Logged

CrazyDadda
Rocks Off Regular

Come On Up For The Rising

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:06pm
This movie blew me into the next theatre

“If you're gonna be in a band, you can't sit in the studio the whole time... I'd like to do more of the only thing I can do really well, apart from screwing." Keith Richards&&&&      “Basically the thing at the time you used to just try and find girls that would fuck. The rest of it was just..yer know. I mean , it wasn't quite as easy then as it is now. Since the invention of the pill, its become much easier." Mick Jagger&&&&“You can neither win nor lose if you don't run the race." David Bowie

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:21pm
Bluzian wrote on Apr 16th, 2008 at 9:44pm:
I suspect that the Champagne & Reefer will be the highlight. Does Ahmet Ertegun have a cameo? (there arent out-takes of him falling are there??? Ouch!)

It's the HIGHLIGHT.
About Ertegun, he's on the final credits.

IP Logged

Throwaway
Rocks Off Regular

MD
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:22pm
Ahmet is tastefully mentioned at the end of the movie.  See it like the rest of us have and you'll surely love it.  But Mick, if you and the boys tour again, how about making the second half of the shows as interesting as the first???  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:35am
I'm finally getting to see it this evening.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:48am
you'll enjoy it Gary,just  try not to let the FOS bimbo's irritate you, too much.

Will await, your marks out of 10 rating.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:50am
Gazza wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:35am:

As always
Look forward to your review.

I've seen it twice and enjoyed it both times.
Blown away by it?..ah no.
Think it is a great portrayal of the Stones of now...with all their dental work, wrinkles, mistakes, and personality quirks right in my face so I couldn't miss them...YES

I liked that Marty's view of the Stones is a humorous one.
And I did like Jack White and the blonde in the movie.  Buddy and Mick on harp took me to musical nirvana!

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:29am
I really liked it, I wish they had played some of the songs that were shown on the set-list in the beginning of the movie, I'd much prefer some of them instead of the songs they did, didn't care for Jack White (Lovin' cup) or Christina Aguleria, she was singing in a different key, to me, The Stones live don't have that magical touch they once had, like in the period '69 through the early 70's, but I got to remember, their getting up in the years now, every band/artist has got their best period when they were fantastic.
I seen it at Imax with a friend at 10:15 in the morning, there were only 4 other people in the theatre, it was a experience, Ronnie's playing was great, he played beautiful on "You Got The Silver" while Keith just sang, with a cigarette, first time I ever saw him do a song without his guitar, he sang it great even though he's not much of a singer, Keith's playing was sloppy, like in the Introduction chords to Start Me up, he made some mistakes with the rhythm, & you could see it on his face he made a boo boo, but you got to realize with all the drugs & drinking this guy's been through, on top of having brain surgery, he's not like he was years ago.
Mick's singing was o.k. with me, he hasn't got the vocal range he once had, the first post on here mentions he found his performance fem, if you really want to see him fem, check out "Gimme Shelter" I didn't find him dancing like he used to, plays great harmonica on the Buddy Guy performance, & yes, that's the best part of the movie, I loved that segment, that's where The Stones really shine doing blues, Jagger is what? 65? fantastic shape, he must have a 28'' waist, that's something you don't see every day, a guy that age in that shape.
The old footage I seen several times before, I wish there was more of it, it only centers on the 3 original Stones I noticed, no Brian, Bill, Taylor or Ronnie, but all in all, it certainly was worth watching, I feel you have to be a Stones fan to see it, to really like it,  if not, you'll be picking it apart, finding fault with everything in it.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:41am

excited to hear your review.

IP Logged

Jumacfly
Rocks Off Regular

He Men Emotional Rescue
Lovers Society Chairman

Montpellier
Reply #15 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 8:01am
Some Guy wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:41am:

did you like it buddy?

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 8:32am
Jumacfly wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 8:01am:
Some Guy wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:41am:

did you like it buddy?

Yes, I liked it! But it was nice seeing them in Imax. I will be all over the dvd

IP Logged

Bluzian
I'm new!!

Reply #17 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:35pm
Right.. just got back from the Imax in Toronto, and we ALL thoroughly enjoyed it!!!  The hightlight was Keith, which, usually Im distracted by Mick, but, for us, we felt that Keith really was the star of the show. You Got the Silver nearly made me cry.  The Stones arent so much musicians anymore, they're more famous celebrities, who have got a great past (catalog) of hits, but, they dont really believe in the songs or the lyrics they're singing about.  I mean, last night, I went to see Classic Albums Live, with the album being Some Girls, (oddly enough, being SAL had a focus on those '78 songs), and the tribute-esque band was far more aggressive, sexier, sweatier than the Stones in the movie. Infact, not only was seeing the tribute better, but it was also cheaper than the movie! PLus, I got to see Merry Clayton front row, belt out "Gimme Shelter".   I would go see SAL again, but I would definetely have paid $50 to see Classic Albums live any day of the week. They reminded me how the Stones SHOULD still sound.

Cheers World

4r8jnzp.jpg (117 KB | )
4r8jnzp.jpg

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #18 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:38pm
Keith?  the star?!?!

were you taking a bathroom break as he staggered and sputtered through SFTD?

Keith started strong in the movie, but by the end he was sadly revealing why he got the reviews he did that tour.....

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Jumacfly
Rocks Off Regular

He Men Emotional Rescue
Lovers Society Chairman

Montpellier
Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:05am
lotsajizz wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:38pm:
Keith?  the star?!?!

Keith started strong in the movie, but by the end he was sadly revealing why he got the reviews he did that tour.....

Totally Agree with that.
TO be honest Keef spoiled my fun in the movie, dude is really the oldest of the oldest dudes....

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 7:31am
Jumacfly wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:05am:
lotsajizz wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:38pm:
Keith?  the star?!?!

Totally Agree with that.
TO be honest Keef spoiled my fun in the movie, dude is really the oldest of the oldest dudes....

ah no! this is what I feared,

IP Logged

JumpingKentFlash
Rocks Off Regular

SHARKS WILL CRY!!!!

Horsens, Denmark
Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 7:38am
My review.

I saw it last night in Aarhus. The theater wasn't full. I think about 100 people in the not-very-big cinema. The sound was OK, but not turned up enough. I mean: It was high, but I'd had turned it up another few clicks.
I'll start with commenting on a song-by-song basis.

1. Jumping Jack Flash.
- Great one. It sounded much better here than on the soundtrack CD. I loved the way the sound went up when they were filming Keith for example. That was a great feature throughout the movie, although sometimes it sounded a bit weird when they turned it back down. Flash is (As always) a strong opener.

Shattered.
- Like someone on here said "Starts in a high tempo and never looks back". I loved it. It's a great version. Really upbeat and Jagger is amazing.

She Was Hot.
- Superb. Very nice to see this.

All Down The Line.
- Great version. They sound a bit knackered on it, and it's not as good as the Stripped b-side. That said: It rocks. Keef and Ronnie are great here.

Loving Cup.
- This one I was really looking forward to see. I've read multiple reviews saying that Jack White was like a little schoolboy who couldn't believe he was on stage with The Stones. I didn't think so. This is just the way Jack is on stage when he's having a good time. Watch the White Stripes DVD "Under Blackpool Lights" and you'll know what I mean (Especially the last song). He brings a lot of country twang to it. For me this is a duet ranking alongside the great Robert Cray and Bo Diddley duets from Miami, 1994. The band does a great job here.

As Tears Go By.
- Magic. A very calm Jagger. I didn't know he was able to stand still during a song.  This one got me thinking about the similar great version from Milano 2006.

Some Girls.
- I'd seen this one already on the Amazon website. Twas better in the context of the film though. It works out well. Again the entire band owns up. But it was a bit of a shame that they didn't include the harp, like we hear it when they're rehearsing it early in the film.

Just My Imagination.
- To me, this is one of the highlights. The version is as good as the magic Hampton 1981 version, though different.

Far Away Eyes.
- Again a magic moment (Especially Mick 'n Keef sharing the mic). Ronnie is doing great stuff on the pedal steel guitar, and he seems to have a driver's license for it.

Champagne & Reefer.
- Even though I loved the Jack White duet, this one is better. The Stones doing blues is always a treat. Buddy has an awesome moment when he's just staring at the camera for a long time without singing. He doesn't upstage anyone though. It wouldn't have been as great as it turned out, if he didn't have THAT backing group. But what a voice he carries. Stellar harp solo by Mick, and Keith doing a great job on the guitar.

Tumbling Dice.
- Cool version, but as expected. Keith is turned down after the intro. I saw him doing the usual licks after the intro, but couldn't hear them. It's a shame because TD was mighty fine, because of Keef especially, on the ABB Tour. Nice one though.

Band Introductions.
- This is the way to do it on future DVD releases I think. The usual wankery was skipped and it worked very well with the fades.

You Got The Silver.
- Anyone saying that Keith can't sing must shut up. He does a great job on here. Ronnie mighty fine too. Keith is such a cool weirdo.

Connection.
- I'll be slayed for saying this, but the interview cuts in this one ENHANCED it. It's not a great version. On the CD it's the worst one. I like that the bad parts of it, and there are many on the CD, was skipped and the interviews that were cut into it, was much fun.

Sympathy For The Devil.
- Also cool. Charlie is great on it. There's an amazing camera shot when the first chorus kicks in. It's taken from the side and the whole place is lit up with white light (And white heat). The special Jagger intro, manufactured by Scorsese, is cool (Where Mick comes in through the back door). All in all this version is pulled up high by Charlie's drumming, but pulled down by Keith's solo. He doesn't come through here. He doesn't think, but feels. That's cool, and I saw many great examples of that on the ABB Tour. But here he just feels it wrong IMO. Not the best version of this song at all.

Live With Me.
- Even though the Xtina duet is the least of my favourites of the three, it's not bad at all. She can hold her own. She has a great voice. The big shame is that she uses it on crap music. The band is kicking major butt here BTW (Keith's licks).

Start Me Up.
- As expected. This was probably meant to be the start of the home stretch, but even though I like it, it was better in Olympia 2003 (FF disc 4). Sounded better on the CD too.

Brown Sugar.
- This is where the home stretch really begins. What a version! Everything is in it's right place here. Kick-ass version.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.
- Before watching it on film I didn't think it would be good to close the show. The CD version was the next worst thing to Connection. But it was much better to watch on film. Only bitch about this is the way Keith plays the riff. It's just not a good idea. It's better than the Toronto SARS version though (But then again - Almost every version is). The show ends on a high note, but not as high as expected.

Martin Scorsese has made a great film. Let me say that to begin with. I've read quite a few critiques that there isn't enough documentary in it. I don't think that. It's not made like a documentary at all. It's a concert film, and it must be judged on the merits of that, rather than as a documentary.
The quick camera jumps works like they should. It's pretty MTV, but with the Marty twist. The point of the quick jumps is made to fit the fast songs. The slower the song, the slower the cam jumps. It works well.
The idea of turning up the person who we see on the screen is original and good. I liked that very much. Shows that the Stones are individuals, but also a group. As I said before, there was some moments where it sounded weird when it was turned back down. There was a moment when they turned up Keith during JJF where it was very noticable.
BTW: This idea of turning up the individual sound is also seen in The Biggest Bang on Midnight Rambler, ending the tour documentary. It's just taken to the extreme there. I like it.
The hired blondes (Of whom I'd love to pork every single one) seemed like a big thing for most people on here. Of course I saw them, but I didn't really notice them. In almost every shot they were in, there was a Stone in. And how can you not look at the Stone? I'd even play the devil's advocate here: The blondes were instructed to do waves and raise their arms and such. When Brown Sugar goes into the "Yeah yeah yeah whoooo" part, they do just that. But the real fans on the rafters should do it too right? Only about half of them does it. I know that they were hired because they "look better" and because Mick has something to play up to (The horny goat probably had all of them in his room afterwards). I just think that it wouldn't be the best to have real fans who don't do all the waving. Of course I could be wrong, because it's also a different experience to stand in the FOS area. Perhaps they'd do a lot of waving if they were there. And don't think I prefer hired blondes in the front row. I prefer fans, and most people I know from the Stones community would deserve a front seat. For a movie it's just different though.
The start of the movie is much fun. It doesn't add as much as the interview clips during the show though. It's just a nice novelty. And how fun is Keith? He seems like a dude you'd wanna hang out with (Check him out making fun of Mick and Charlie behind their backs during the stage model talk). I loved where Marty gets the setlist in hand and doesn't even end his sentence before The Stones rips into Jumping Jack Flash. Though it was most likely edited, it was very funny to watch.
The best interview clips in the movie were, for me, the one with the half 'n half screen of Jagger and Keith, where they answer the same question. The difference of the Glimmer Twins is shown right there. It reminded me of the pre-release A Bigger Bang interviews. When asked about the new album Mick goes into a long svada about "It's contempory, yet classic yada yada yada", whereas Keith goes "It kicks some ass". Also the interviews with Ronnie and Keith seperately during Connection was much fun. (Ronnie) "He (Keith) KNOWS that I'm the best guitar player". (Keith) "I knew he'd say that".
Another favourite segment is when they end Satisfaction. Keith is on his knees clutching his guitar and is taking deep breaths. How can you not love that man?
There's ups and downs during the concert, but mostly ups. As a whole it's very good. Killer show. It's one of the best filmed (If not THE best filmed) concerts they've released I think. The close-ups were great and I didn't think it was a Mick only show. He just got the majority of the screen time. Like Keith said: "I don't think when I'm on stage. I feel". Well, I don't need to look at Keith all the time. I FEEL him. Same goes for the rest of the band. The Mick close-ups are good because we love the vain front man. He's like that, whereas Keith, Ronnie and certainly Charlie aren't. They are felt when Mick is seen. And the "study" of Mick's movements is a great aspect in the film.
The ending with the dedication to Ahmed Ertegun is lovely. May the good Lord shine a light on him.
It's a film mostly for fans I think. For a normal person (We're not  ) it would be a bit too long. Of course I was craving more afterwards, but I'm not sure that other people were. A mainstream audience would probably find it too long, and since it's not a documentary (I.e. It doesn't take you from a point and enlighten you on the way) it's most likely a too long film. Instead it leaves the question it asks, hanging in the air, because what's more to say after a concert like that? It's a good way of doing it, and I wouldn't mind Martin Scorsese doing an actual documentary spanning their whole career at some point. Actually I'd very much like it to be him.

I'd rate it 5 out of 6 stars. 4 is way too low, and 6 is a bit too high. So a big 5 is the way to go.
You rock!

I'm gonna have to stand my ground like Crockett at The Alamo.

IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Maryland , USA
Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 7:55am
Just My Imagination.
- To me, this is one of the highlights. The version is as good as the magic Hampton 1981 version, though different.

Jkf.............This version is just awful in my opinion certinally no where near the '78 or '81 live versions... Your spot on about all the other songs.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2008 at 3:14pm by cabledogg2 »  

IP Logged

CousinC
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 11:06am
All in all I liked the movie although they are not the band they once have been or still could be!

Mick's singing could have been better and Keith, well . .

In the end it was a bit long. But to me that's the same with their gigs these days. When the warhorses come I get bored most of the time.

Nevertheless I'm already waiting for the DVD with hopefully good bonus stuff.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #24 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:04pm
CousinC wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 11:06am:

In the end it was a bit long. But to me that's the same with their gigs these days. When the warhorses come I get bored most of the time. 

LOL.  That is a Stones fan statement if I have ever heard it - there was too much of it but I am looking forward to more.   Wink

It finally came to Asheville last night, and I was at the first showing - they're not doing matiness so I was there at 7 pm, me and nine other people, not much representation from my li'l NC burg for rock and roll, but there rarely is.  I'm sure it'll just last a week.

First and foremost, it was great, but for me it is waaaaaay too long.  Long about Tumbling Dice I was like, Jeeezus we have some heavy hitters to go, my buzz was just about gone and there was no way I could step out and renew it.  Later tunes did not tell me anything I hadn't already gleaned from earlier in the picture, so why so much?  A ruthless editor could have shaved five/six songs out of it and made a much less exhausting film.

Jagger is the star of the movie and deserves to be - he is very into this performance.  Put that man in front of a bunch of people, set some cameras on him, and play some rock and roll, and he is going to spazz dance like no other human on earth.  I don't think his voice has the different textures it used to - it communicates little other than the pitches it's supposed to be hitting, but he really may be better than ever with his moves.  I still get bugged by that gesture he makes when he squeezes his index finger and his thumb together, but thankfully that only showed up a couple of times.  He totally electrified that room.  I wish there were fewer closeups, more full-band or at least full-body shots.  These would have provided some good context and contrast, but overall I think he earns his wings in this flick.

I liked watching him direct the band in She Was Hot - nice to see genuine musical interplay at a Stones show.  And I think that that version of Shattered is some of his best filmed footage since the MSG '69 Satisfaction in Gimme Shelter.  He is HILARIOUS during that song and I love how some of the shots show him from the waist up just floating across the screen, or how a closeup would start in one place on stage and then pull back to reveal that he was all the way on the other side of the stage in just a few seconds.

Weirdness:  on one camera angle he would look so youthful and at another he would look so frail and ancient, like his brittle bones would snap under all that crazy abuse he was putting to 'em.   Weirdest:  As Tears Go By.  Mick and Keith look 15,000,000 years old.  

As far as Jack White III goes, I don't think he did that great on Loving Cup at all (he could have at least shaved or washed his hair, ick) and I thought that Jagger's expressions during some of it were very telling that he didn't think it was all that great either.  It was interesting to see him look like such a star struck scared little guy.  I certainly do not begrudge him leaning over and singing into the same mic as Mick at the tail end of the song.  But if I were making that movie I would have left that one and Live with Me on the cutting room floor to be used as DVD bonus footage - neither enhance the 'plot' of the movie or increase the energy of the performance.

Because all you really need is Buddy M-bleeping Guy, the last dude on the planet, probably, capable of and willing to intimidate the Rolling Stones on their own stage.  He handed Mick and Keith their ass.  I am so glad he got rid of that crappy jerry curl hair he used to have and wears a hat now - he looks so much cooler.  That shot of his face, that gets held FOREVER before he bellows "there shouldn't be a law if a person wanta smoke a little dope" was one of the best in the movie, and it was nice to watch Keith completely realizing that he was not even (any longer) in the same class in terms of guitartistry as Guy.  I loved how he ignored Mick's request to take the band on down, and that look he had on his face while he was playing guitar and Mick was playing harp was hilarious.  "Boy I played with JUNIOR WELLS for YEARS!  You gonna pop out a lick I never heard before or what?!?"  He sure whooped it on those white boys.

As for Keith, he was of course the 2nd most interesting thing in the movie after Jagger, mainly for how out-of-it, doddering, and confused he seemed most of the time.  Really, the years of alcohol have taken their toll.  Whatever vitality and creativity was once in him looks to be ground down to a mere cinder at this point.  He certainly has nothing to do with leading the band anymore - just follows along, plays his same solo through most every song, hits his riffs (ok, his skills with pure rhythm, when he is playing his parts, remain awesome), poses, and occasionally makes an exciting rhythmic splat.  But don't make him step out of his comfort zone - he can't play guitar and sing at the same time anymore, and he can't really handle back up vocals - you can't help but notice that he entirely tanks the last chorus of Far Away Eyes, slightly despoiling what was up to that point a pretty sweet performance.

Of course, that said, he does come along and steal the show with that weird, menacing You Got the Silver.  Shockingly cool and moving.  You can't take the cool out of Keith, if you did he would just vanish.  When he stalks around Ronnie during the solo, that was scary.  Amazing and the best musical performance by a Rolling Stone in the movie.  Lack of guitar says a lot.  Nice Disney pin, Mr. Rock and Roll.

Kvetching aside, I was mesmerized, and while I didn't think it was all that musically interesting, it was a visual feast.  I love those crazy guys, and getting to watch them do their thing at such close quarters is an amazing gift to a fan such as me from a fan such as Scorsese.  It will be hard to go back to Four Flicks or something after watching latter-days Stones this well presented.  

Best performance:  Three way tie:  Shattered/Champagne and Reefer/You Got the Silver
Best Dressed:  Lisa "Wiseblood's Avatar" Fischer
Best line:  "THESE LIGHTS ARE BURNING MY AAAAAAAAAAAASSSS!"

IP Logged

CousinC
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #25 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:04pm:
[quote author=CousinC link=1208373317/15#23 date=1208621167]

LOL.  That is a Stones fan statement if I have ever heard it - there was too much of it but I am looking forward to more.   Wink

LOL Well, it's not that much of a contradiction to me.

These days when I go to a Stones gig I'm mostly looking forward to song 3 to 9.
That's the most interesting part of their show for me now with still a little surprise now and than.
Same with a DVD. I'm mostly going for the rarities, etc. . .

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #26 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:39pm
Just seen it!

Beautifully filmed and a good sound.

Keith wasn't as bad as I'd expected with some great playing;

JJF
SHATTERED
ALL DOWN THE LINE
IMAGINATION
TD
SMU
BS

are all top versions IMHO,with only Connection and Sympathy been below par.

I'd like to see more rehearsals (hopefully on the dvd !)

Biggest annoyance by far were the hired in models at the front . They weren't even looking at the stage half the time and I'm sure I saw one texting as Mick danced past..........NO ,it won't have been the set list !

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #27 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:40pm
why so many blank posts ?

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #28 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:51pm
cabledogg2 wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 7:55am:
Just My Imagination.

'different', as in sloppy...but actually in an appealing way

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #29 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Where is Gazza with his impressions of SAL?
:question

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #30 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 7:07pm
SweetVirginia wrote on Apr 19th, 2008 at 6:15pm:

Yeah, whats up with that?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #31 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:40am

I is here! Sorry - busy couple of days.

I thought it was pretty good. Not as sensational as some made it out to be. I'd heard the CD and thought it was mostly so-so, so my expectations weren't THAT high for the film, but it was better than I thought.

Very nicely filmed, amusing in parts with the Stones' magnetism and charisma shining through in bucketloads. The models, while their sheer presence was annoying,  didnt detract from the enjoyment of the film as much as I thought they would because the Stones were generally in shot at the same time, but they still shouldnt have been there. It goes against the point of a documentary to begin with, and obviously watching the film I hate them for FIVE reasons - 1) they're young and attractive  2) they got into the Beacon and I didnt  3) they got into the front row of a Stones theatre show, 4) they got paid for doing so and 5) they acted like they'd rather be somewhere else. What the fuck is it with all those cellphones? Jesus. You can expect that in a stadium when youre 60 yards away and interest in whats going on on the stage flags occasionally, but when you're in a theatre and Mick Jagger emerges from a side door at the start of 'Sympathy for the Devil' ?
As straycatuk says, they werent sending in the setlists. More like they were texting their dads asking "whats the name of that song that starts with something about 'a crossfire hurricane' or "Theyre playing "Hope you guess my name!". Arseclags.

Musically it was a bit patchy. However, in many ways its to Scorsese and the Stones' credit that the music seems to be overdub-free.Unheard of for a Stones CD or film and also for pretty much all concert movies in this day and age. When this collaboration was announced I feared it would be exactly the opposite so kudos for keeping it "live" as much as possible on this occasion, warts and all.  Remember that the 2nd Beacon show eventually took place on a day which had been originally set aside for post-production/overdubs/reshoots etc. Most special moments for me included 'As Tears go By' which provided a bit of a lump in the throat (although I stopped short of the flood that greeted it when I saw them play it at Madison Square Garden) and 'Connection', which I really liked, even though it was intercut with the interview footage. 'Just My Imagination' was pretty good too. I actualy liked "Sympathy" although many seem to have given it a pasting, "Tumbling Dice" was good also and although I'm absolutely sick to death of hearing it in the vast enormodomes the Stones persist in playing in, I thought "Satisfaction" was quite enjoyable.

Nothing however came close to the genius-like rendition of 'Champagne and Reefer' which blows everything else in the film out of the water. Absolutely incredible and its worth noting that for the second live album in a row, its a good argument that the best song on it is a cover of a blues song that theyve never put out before (take the hint, boys). Of the other two guest appearances, I dont think "Loving Cup" was a good choice for Jack White's voice - either that or his voice and Mick's just dont mesh together. Christina was quite good, surprisingly. I dont care for her music, but she has a good voice and although (again) I'm not sure it was a great choice of song, she has good stage presence and worked well with Mick. Either way it was a great improvement on the abortion Sheryl Crow made of the same song at that Miami PPV show in 1994 (although Sheryl' s normally quite good with the Stones). The only song I thought that was absolute pants was Far Away Eyes. Yeah, the shot of Mick and Keith briefly sharing the same mic for the first time since 1776 or whatever it was was sweet, but Mick's recitation (which OK, I know is tongue in cheek on the original and therefore a bit hard to deliver in concert) was so passionless it sounded like he was reading the back of a cornflakes packet and reciting the ingredients.

There was a bit to much of that MTV- like 100 mph cutaway camera shots for my liking. I much preferred the all too rare lingering shots. There was a great one of Buddy Guy after he'd sung his first verse and he's just staring/glaring across the stage and the camera just lingers on him for about ten seconds. It seemed like an hour because its so rare to get a good tracking shot like that in a concert film these days.  I also found it a bit strange that with 18 or 19 cameras in a 2,800 seater theatre that so MUCH of the camerawork was focussed on Mick.Some of the close ups were incredible. Theres a great one of Keith near the end where it zooms in from just behind his face and you can see the veins pumping in his head and arms as he's belting out the final part of (I think) Brown Sugar. Incredible.

Most poignant image of the night though - the very end of 'Satisfaction' when Keith crouches down, looking like he's about to take his last breath and holding his guitar as if its the only thing thats stopping him from collapsing. Seconds later, his smile is back and all's well with the world again. Two little moments that in many ways sum up that entire tour and the state of the Stones these days - ie they're getting older and tottering on the precipice of disaster at times but they're still loving it and they'll probably do this until they really DO keel over.

They're here until the ride stops and, for all their faults, so are we.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:45am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:06am
Gazza wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:40am:

I is here! Sorry - busy couple of days.

I thought it was pretty good. Not as sensational as some made it out to be. I'd heard the CD and thought it was mostly so-so, so my expectations weren't THAT high for the film, but it was better than I thought.

Very nicely filmed, amusing in parts with the Stones' magnetism and charisma shining through in bucketloads. The models, while their sheer presence was annoying,  didnt detract from the enjoyment of the film as much as I thought they would because the Stones were generally in shot at the same time, but they still shouldnt have been there. It goes against the point of a documentary to begin with, and obviously watching the film I hate them for FIVE reasons - 1) they're young and attractive  2) they got into the Beacon and I didnt  3) they got into the front row of a Stones theatre show, 4) they got paid for doing so and 5) they acted like they'd rather be somewhere else. What the fuck is it with all those cellphones? Jesus. You can expect that in a stadium when youre 60 yards away and interest in whats going on on the stage flags occasionally, but when you're in a theatre and Mick Jagger emerges from a side door at the start of 'Sympathy for the Devil' ?
As straycatuk says, they werent sending in the setlists. More like they were texting their dads asking "whats the name of that song that starts with something about 'a crossfire hurricane' or "Theyre playing "Hope you guess my name!". Arseclags.

Musically it was a bit patchy. However, in many ways its to Scorsese and the Stones' credit that the music seems to be overdub-free.Unheard of for a Stones CD or film and also for pretty much all concert movies in this day and age. When this collaboration was announced I feared it would be exactly the opposite so kudos for keeping it "live" as much as possible on this occasion, warts and all.  Remember that the 2nd Beacon show eventually took place on a day which had been originally set aside for post-production/overdubs/reshoots etc. Most special moments for me included 'As Tears go By' which provided a bit of a lump in the throat (although I stopped short of the flood that greeted it when I saw them play it at Madison Square Garden) and 'Connection', which I really liked, even though it was intercut with the interview footage. 'Just My Imagination' was pretty good too. I actualy liked "Sympathy" although many seem to have given it a pasting, "Tumbling Dice" was good also and although I'm absolutely sick to death of hearing it in the vast enormodomes the Stones persist in playing in, I thought "Satisfaction" was quite enjoyable.

Nothing however came close to the genius-like rendition of 'Champagne and Reefer' which blows everything else in the film out of the water. Absolutely incredible and its worth noting that for the second live album in a row, its a good argument that the best song on it is a cover of a blues song that theyve never put out before (take the hint, boys). Of the other two guest appearances, I dont think "Loving Cup" was a good choice for Jack White's voice - either that or his voice and Mick's just dont mesh together. Christina was quite good, surprisingly. I dont care for her music, but she has a good voice and although (again) I'm not sure it was a great choice of song, she has good stage presence and worked well with Mick. Either way it was a great improvement on the abortion Sheryl Crow made of the same song at that Miami PPV show in 1994 (although Sheryl' s normally quite good with the Stones). The only song I thought that was absolute pants was Far Away Eyes. Yeah, the shot of Mick and Keith briefly sharing the same mic for the first time since 1776 or whatever it was was sweet, but Mick's recitation (which OK, I know is tongue in cheek on the original and therefore a bit hard to deliver in concert) was so passionless it sounded like he was reading the back of a cornflakes packet and reciting the ingredients.

There was a bit to much of that MTV- like 100 mph cutaway camera shots for my liking. I much preferred the all too rare lingering shots. There was a great one of Buddy Guy after he'd sung his first verse and he's just staring/glaring across the stage and the camera just lingers on him for about ten seconds. It seemed like an hour because its so rare to get a good tracking shot like that in a concert film these days.  I also found it a bit strange that with 18 or 19 cameras in a 2,800 seater theatre that so MUCH of the camerawork was focussed on Mick.Some of the close ups were incredible. Theres a great one of Keith near the end where it zooms in from just behind his face and you can see the veins pumping in his head and arms as he's belting out the final part of (I think) Brown Sugar. Incredible.

Most poignant image of the night though - the very end of 'Satisfaction' when Keith crouches down, looking like he's about to take his last breath and holding his guitar as if its the only thing thats stopping him from collapsing. Seconds later, his smile is back and all's well with the world again. Two little moments that in many ways sum up that entire tour and the state of the Stones these days - ie they're getting older and tottering on the precipice of disaster at times but they're still loving it and they'll probably do this until they really DO keel over.

Brilliant read Gazza! I couldn't agree with you more  about the Keith moment. I found that to be a very telling shot, but at the same time beautiful. The way he just gathers himself up and shrugs off his age and carries on with a smile.

Quote:

Here, here!

Riffy

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:32am by Riffhard »  

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #33 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:10am
thankyou for your review Gary.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #34 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:21am
Beautifully done, Gazza.

Thanks for taking the time to write it... we were waiting for your thoughts!

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #35 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:31am
Pretty much in agreement with ya G.
I think we all agree that Champagne and Reefer IS the highlight of the film and YES BOYS an album of classic blues would be AWESOME.

Damn, why do we all get so choked up during As Tears Go By??? First time I'm going to use this emoticon as this was me at MSG when it was played.  :youmademecrylikeababy

"Most poignant image of the night though - the very end of 'Satisfaction' when Keith crouches down, looking like he's about to take his last breath and holding his guitar as if its the only thing thats stopping him from collapsing. Seconds later, his smile is back and all's well with the world again. Two little moments that in many ways sum up that entire tour and the state of the Stones these days - ie they're getting older and tottering on the precipice of disaster at times but they're still loving it and they'll probably do this until they really DO keel over."

Agreed completely and beautifully written.

LJ.

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #36 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:36am
cool review Gazza,
just thought I'd mention how good I thought Some Girls was, all down to Mick here - loadsa energy also a great rhythm guitar performance from Mick, as well as hilarious vocal delivery. Surprised others haven't mentioned it as a highlight. Xtina was good but she seemed to start off singing in a different key to Mick. I also thought She Was Hot, Lovin Cup (don't understand any criticism of Jack White frankly) and Sympathy were other highlights

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #37 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:44am
speedfreakjive wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:36am:
cool review Gazza,
just thought I'd mention how good I thought Some Girls was, all down to Mick here - loadsa energy also a great rhythm guitar performance from Mick, as well as hilarious vocal delivery. Surprised others haven't mentioned it as a highlight. Xtina was good but she seemed to start off singing in a different key to Mick. I also thought She Was Hot, Lovin Cup (don't understand any criticism of Jack White frankly) and Sympathy were other highlights

My bladder was on the point of giving way during "Some Girls" thanks to some pre-show imbibing, so I had to use part of the song as a piss-break.

Which reminds me of one other minor gripe. Whats with the censorship of a couple of 'fucks' in this film? (Although one or two were left in, bizarrely). Are the Stones and Scorsese that desperate for a 12 rating? A film of the wildest band in history by the man who directed 'Goodfellas' (the most profanity laced film in history at the time) and all of a sudden they're worried about someone being upset because Mick says the word 'fuck' ?

WTf? Or rather - WHAT THE FUCK?
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:47am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #38 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:57am

'Til the wheels fall off, baby!  Cool
That was a beautifully written review. Thanks Gaz.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #39 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:06pm
Great review Gazza, I posted my thoughts about it earlier in this thread, it was certainly a experience.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #40 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:47pm
"Which reminds me of one other minor gripe. Whats with the censorship of a couple of 'fucks' in this film? (Although one or two were left in, bizarrely). Are the Stones and Scorsese that desperate for a 12 rating?"

In an interview, Scorsese said he got two "fucks" in the US rating system, any more after that would have upped the rating and made it much harder for younger people to get in.

I guess he thought young people were going to go to the movie?

Maybe it was done so that the front-row Bimbos could get in to see themselves?

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #41 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:53pm
SweetVirginia wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 12:47pm:
"Which reminds me of one other minor gripe. Whats with the censorship of a couple of 'fucks' in this film? (Although one or two were left in, bizarrely). Are the Stones and Scorsese that desperate for a 12 rating?"

In an interview, Scorsese said he got two "fucks" in the US rating system, any more after that would have upped the rating and made it much harder for younger people to get in.

I guess he thought young people were going to go to the movie?

Maybe it was done so that the front-row Bimbos could get in to see themselves?

LOL

Yeah, I figured there was probably a set "fuck" quota.

Cant see why he'd be too concerned about teenagers getting the chance to see a Stones film though. I doubt he was too concerned about them when he made stuff like 'Casino' - and I'm sure there are a lot more of them interested in seeing his 'regular' films than this one.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #42 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:02pm
Good review!
postin above the rim.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:18pm
jumpingkentflash

nasty habits

and

gazza.

thanks for the reviews.  i can't wait to see this movie.

You rock!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:29pm
Quote:
i can't wait to see this movie.

What are you waiting for fotp?
I don't think it's going to be in theatres for much longer...

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:41pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:29pm:
Quote:
i can't wait to see this movie.

What are you waiting for fotp?
I don't think it's going to be in theatres for much longer...

i will be in nyc may 8th and i plan to see it then....hopefully it will still be playing.

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #46 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 5:31pm

Almost missed your great review, Gazza!!

Couldn't agree with you more..on all counts except Sympathy.Wink

And I am stealing your last line??.... Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

LuvGlimmerTwins
Rocks Off Regular

Rolling Stones FANatic

near Chicago, Il USA
Reply #47 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 1:09am
I seems that just about everyone who knows me first asks, "have you seen the new Stones' movie?" and then immediatley says, "Of course you have!"

Their next querry is "what did ya think of it?"--and my reply has been that it's the cheapest Stones concert I've seen in 20 years--ha ha!

I'd highly recommend SAL for all of those who love the Stones. But--and perhaps more importantly--I'm telling folks who have never seen the Stones that this is their (affordable) chance to learn why I am a Rolling Stones FANatic who goes to great lengths and significant expense to see them up close whenever I'm able.

IMHO, SAL was more than worth the price of admission.  

For me, the biggest drawback was the annoying anger I kept feeling, seeing how healthy everyone looked and how healthy Mick's voice sounded, when a mere two days earlier he had to cancel AC due to a sore throat or whatever.  It was a major trip for me from the Midwest to the East coast--one I couldn't afford to repeat on the rescheduled AC date.  I would have felt much more empathy if the reason given for cancelling AC was Ronnie's brother, Art's, demise.  Now, needing to attend a family funeral is something I think we can ALL relate to.

They could've left the Bill and Hiliary nonsense out, and I'd never have missed it.  I did chuckle at the old interview footage, though none of it was new to these old eyes...

Just good ol' RNR-Blues show, IMHO, by the world's greatest rock n roll band Smiley I'm seeing it again this week.

Let's drink to the hardworking people. Let's drink to the humble at birth.  Raise your glass to the two thousand million.  Let's drink to the salt of the Earth!

IP Logged

luxury
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #48 - May 3rd, 2008 at 12:25pm
I spotted myself twice.  However, I was just standing there, like a doofus--I thought for sure I would be rockin' out.  I am so ashamed.
Throbby has assured me it was between songs.....

&&

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #49 - May 3rd, 2008 at 12:30pm
" Nothing however came close to the genius-like rendition of 'Champagne and Reefer' which blows everything else in the film out of the water. Absolutely incredible and its worth noting that for the second live album in a row, its a good argument that the best song on it is a cover of a blues song that theyve never put out before (take the hint, boys).  "

A - FRIGGIN - MEN !!!!!!

It is time that both The Rolling Stones & The Who record new albums consisting of nothing but covers of blues songs neither band has put out before . Word .

Roll with the homeys , boys .

" Slang of Ages , Ronnie ! "

JJJJJJJJJJJACKY !!!!! ™

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Prairie Dog
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #50 - May 8th, 2008 at 1:06pm
I still love "Let's Spend The Night Together". My favorite Stones performance film.
That said- This one is very good. As a performance heavy film- I loved the Imax screen and the sound loud and had a good mix.

I expected more from Scorsese- I'm just not sure what. Maybe something closer to what he did with "American Boy".
The awkward scenes with the Clintons was good.
I thought Jack White was horrible and Mick had to carry that song. White came across like a high school kid who won a chance to play with the Stones. Mick put him to shame.
Aguilera- on the other hand- Shook it up. Off key? I don't know- I'm no fan of hers, but I thought she held her own.

Why did Mick skip the Black Girl verse in Some Girls?
Also love the moment in Far Away Eyes where Mick has to steer a laughing Keith away from the mic.
I was so glad there was no Honky Tonk Woman or Gimme Shelter. On the same note I could have done without Tumbling Dice- Start Me Up- I zoned out- and SFTD? again? ugh.
Everything else was magic.
Except:
Personal note: I live about 3 blocks from the Beacon Theater and tried like heck to get into this show. I have no connections- I had no chance. They say some tickets did go on sale- I don't believe it. Anyway, watching the film I had a bitter sweet feeling. I hated- just hated when they cut to the crowd and right there in the front row- a gaggle of clueless bimbos just standing there with their blonde hair and dumb "who are these guys?" look on their faces.
That show meant nothing to them.  Thank you.

Besides that- Seeing this film put a smile on my face.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #51 - May 8th, 2008 at 1:13pm
Tonight is the last night at Mall of Ga IMAX tomorrow- Speed Racer.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #52 - May 10th, 2008 at 11:33am
last thurs was the last day it was playing in nyc so busted on down to check it out.  it was playing at 1998 broadway at the lowes theater complex i do believe it was.
the size of the screen there was, how should i say, e freaking normous.  i mean this baby was BIG.
when the movie began i was like why is it showing in like a normal sized movie theater format and then i thought oh well at least the sound is good.  but when they went into the first song i was amazed.  the movie went onto the whole screen.
i especially enjoyed keiths you got the silver and also the segway into just my imagination.  the buddy guy and christina songs were great.  i was not much into the jack white duet, but it was ok.
i thought it was filmed a tad to close up tho [it was a bit dizzying] and there was hardly any good footage of the bass player or the horn section.

there were 17 people in the the theater for the noon oclock showing.

the real surprise of the afternoon tho was that i paid 4.25 for a medium coke.  that was the most expensive coke i have ever bought in 46 years.

i am glad i made the effort to go.  i enjoyed it big time.

You rock!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #53 - May 10th, 2008 at 11:36am
Yeah, I noticed that on my second viewing- it was regular size and then when they came on stage went large- I was about to get up and complain.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #54 - May 13th, 2008 at 5:42pm
another thing i thought that sucked about the movie was...i thought the intros were a bit huirried.
i didn't think that was necessary.

You rock!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)