Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts About Shine A Light (Read 9,913 times)
Prairie Dog
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Thoughts About Shine A Light
Reply #50 - May 8th, 2008 at 1:06pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I still love "Let's Spend The Night Together". My favorite Stones performance film.
That said- This one is very good. As a performance heavy film- I loved the Imax screen and the sound loud and had a good mix.

I expected more from Scorsese- I'm just not sure what. Maybe something closer to what he did with "American Boy".
The awkward scenes with the Clintons was good.
I thought Jack White was horrible and Mick had to carry that song. White came across like a high school kid who won a chance to play with the Stones. Mick put him to shame.
Aguilera- on the other hand- Shook it up. Off key? I don't know- I'm no fan of hers, but I thought she held her own.

Why did Mick skip the Black Girl verse in Some Girls?
Also love the moment in Far Away Eyes where Mick has to steer a laughing Keith away from the mic.
I was so glad there was no Honky Tonk Woman or Gimme Shelter. On the same note I could have done without Tumbling Dice- Start Me Up- I zoned out- and SFTD? again? ugh.
Everything else was magic.
Except:
Personal note: I live about 3 blocks from the Beacon Theater and tried like heck to get into this show. I have no connections- I had no chance. They say some tickets did go on sale- I don't believe it. Anyway, watching the film I had a bitter sweet feeling. I hated- just hated when they cut to the crowd and right there in the front row- a gaggle of clueless bimbos just standing there with their blonde hair and dumb "who are these guys?" look on their faces.
That show meant nothing to them.  Thank you.

Besides that- Seeing this film put a smile on my face.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #51 - May 8th, 2008 at 1:13pm
Tonight is the last night at Mall of Ga IMAX tomorrow- Speed Racer.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #52 - May 10th, 2008 at 11:33am
last thurs was the last day it was playing in nyc so busted on down to check it out.  it was playing at 1998 broadway at the lowes theater complex i do believe it was.
the size of the screen there was, how should i say, e freaking normous.  i mean this baby was BIG.
when the movie began i was like why is it showing in like a normal sized movie theater format and then i thought oh well at least the sound is good.  but when they went into the first song i was amazed.  the movie went onto the whole screen.
i especially enjoyed keiths you got the silver and also the segway into just my imagination.  the buddy guy and christina songs were great.  i was not much into the jack white duet, but it was ok.
i thought it was filmed a tad to close up tho [it was a bit dizzying] and there was hardly any good footage of the bass player or the horn section.

there were 17 people in the the theater for the noon oclock showing.

the real surprise of the afternoon tho was that i paid 4.25 for a medium coke.  that was the most expensive coke i have ever bought in 46 years.

i am glad i made the effort to go.  i enjoyed it big time.

You rock!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #53 - May 10th, 2008 at 11:36am
Yeah, I noticed that on my second viewing- it was regular size and then when they came on stage went large- I was about to get up and complain.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #54 - May 13th, 2008 at 5:42pm
another thing i thought that sucked about the movie was...i thought the intros were a bit huirried.
i didn't think that was necessary.

You rock!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)