Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
New Dylan Bootleg Series - September 2008 (NSC) (Read 9,731 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
New Dylan Bootleg Series - September 2008 (NSC)
Apr 14th, 2008 at 2:18pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Just received this from desolation row e-mail newsletter :

For some time now, traces of rumour have been accumulating that, between them, suggest Legacy Records will be releasing another in the “Bootleg Series” later this year. In itself, this may not be too surprising but it seems that, like the very first in the “Bootleg Series”, this will be a “(rare and unreleased)” issue. This forthcoming album has not yet appeared on the Sony schedules but a September release is anticipated, subject only to the usual unforeseen delays. This is expected to be a double–CD of mainly officially-unreleased studio material that, chronologically speaking, will overlap with the original “Volumes 1-3” release.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Re: New Dylan Bootleg Series - September 2008 (NSC
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 2:21pm
Sign of the Cross and Broken Days at last?!?!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 2:59pm
I would certainly hope theres more Basement Tapes stuff on there than what was on Volume 2, Nasty

... ... ...
IP Logged

CrazyDadda
Rocks Off Regular

Come On Up For The Rising

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 2:59pm
Looking forward to it!

“If you're gonna be in a band, you can't sit in the studio the whole time... I'd like to do more of the only thing I can do really well, apart from screwing." Keith Richards&&&&      “Basically the thing at the time you used to just try and find girls that would fuck. The rest of it was just..yer know. I mean , it wasn't quite as easy then as it is now. Since the invention of the pill, its become much easier." Mick Jagger&&&&“You can neither win nor lose if you don't run the race." David Bowie

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 3:06pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 14th, 2008 at 2:59pm:
I would certainly hope theres more Basement Tapes stuff on there than what was on Volume 2, Nasty

What do you think, Gazza - is this the "studio" album people have been murmuring about that was going to happen this year, or are the rumors that he's going to go in and actually do a new record substantial?

Trying to figure out what's "left" to really put out that's NOT Basement material and would really merit the release . . . I kind of hope that they use this as an excuse to comp together the soundtracks he's done since Things Have Changed, as well as random still un-full-lengthed material like Trouble in Mind and George Jackson.  Or the live Dead Man that was the B-Side of Everything Is Broken. 

Has any of that stuff been I-Tuned?

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 4:13pm
great news!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 4:56pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Apr 14th, 2008 at 3:06pm:
Gazza wrote on Apr 14th, 2008 at 2:59pm:

What do you think, Gazza - is this the "studio" album people have been murmuring about that was going to happen this year, or are the rumors that he's going to go in and actually do a new record substantial?

Trying to figure out what's "left" to really put out that's NOT Basement material and would really merit the release . . . I kind of hope that they use this as an excuse to comp together the soundtracks he's done since Things Have Changed, as well as random still un-full-lengthed material like Trouble in Mind and George Jackson.  Or the live Dead Man that was the B-Side of Everything Is Broken.  

Has any of that stuff been I-Tuned?

There's been rumours about him recording this spring, isnt that right? Seems odd that they'd consider two major releases before the end of the year. Usually he puts the Bootleg Series stuff on hold if theres a new album in the works (I also understood that after NDH, there wouldnt be any more of the 'series' , so this one is out of the blue to me)

I havent looked on i-tunes for that material you're referring to...I doubt too much of it is there, to be honest.

Theres still quite a few more stuff in the vaults there, including quite a few alternate takes worthy of release. Theres quite a lot of 80's material thats been bootlegged, although whether thats comparable to what was released before is another argument. Then again, there was a pretty large percentage of the original Bootleg Series which had never previously circulated.  Even most of the 'Infidels' stuff that was on that were different takes to what was on bootlegs.

... ... ...
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:06pm
Oh Boy!!!

Be interesting to see what this will include...

Just what we all need..more Dylan to add to the tons of bootlegs we already have. Grin Cool

IP Logged

Erik_Snow
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

norway
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:07pm
It's terrific news. I was hoping for a 1978 release....maybe Blackbushe, as his next project...if I got to pick and choose. But one more of them studio outtake boxes....that might be even better

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:23pm
I made my way here, which is a miracle.  I hope I am doing this correctly.  And i am very happy to hear any news about Bob as you all know by now.  Hey Nasty!  Glad to see you posting.

xxoo,
Martha

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Is the bootleg stuff live or unreleased recordings? I wish the Stones would do BOTH!

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:42pm
Quote:
Is the bootleg stuff live or unreleased recordings? I wish the Stones would do BOTH!

both

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 8:06pm
is there a good isle of wight 69 soundboard?

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 8:39pm
mojoman wrote on Apr 14th, 2008 at 8:06pm:
is there a good isle of wight 69 soundboard?

not in circulation

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 10:32pm
I still haven't purchased vols. 1-3.

I wonder where his next studio album will take him.

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #15 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:12am
MrPleasant wrote on Apr 14th, 2008 at 10:32pm:

Well it's totally worth it, if someone hasn't told you that already. All three discs are great. Disc 1 is early folk stuff that stands up to the albums and many tracks sound better than the minor ones that made it. Disc 2 has some interesting outtakes and alternate versions but disc 3 provides some treasure when you consider the 78-89 period was his spottiest for sure.

P.S. Yay! First post at the new board.

WWW Prodigal Son Prodigal Son ICQ-ball - -  
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 4:17am
thanks Gazza- thats pretty exciting news  Smiley

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 7:21am
"The Rolling Stones, England's Greatest Export... Fuck Tea!"

HP Sauce, surely??

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #18 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:28pm
Prodigal Son wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:12am:

Well it's totally worth it, if someone hasn't told you that already. All three discs are great. Disc 1 is early folk stuff that stands up to the albums and many tracks sound better than the minor ones that made it. Disc 2 has some interesting outtakes and alternate versions but disc 3 provides some treasure when you consider the 78-89 period was his spottiest for sure.

I concur. I've only had the chance to listen to the first disc, but the whole package t looks a lot more interesting than Biography. Thanks for the reminder. Vol. 5 is my favorite (live) album ever, tied with The Who's "Leeds".

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 5:49pm
MrPleasant wrote on Apr 16th, 2008 at 10:28pm:
Prodigal Son wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:12am:

I concur. I've only had the chance to listen to the first disc, but the whole package t looks a lot more interesting than Biography. Thanks for the reminder. Vol. 5 is my favorite (live) album ever, tied with The Who's "Leeds".

Is Vol 5 the gig where he's booed from 1966 or the Rolling Thunder Revue? I don't have the RTR one yet, but the "Live at Royal Albert Hall" one I do have. It was actually recorded in Manchester I believe. On that one, the acoustic disc is kinda mediocre as he just plays his songs all slow and they drag on forever with some lazy blowing on harmonica on most cuts. Dylan's zoned-out drone also doesn't work for those performances. However, the electric disc with the Band (the Hawks) is incredible. And we get an unreleased chestnut "Tell Me Momma" that kicks major ass.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:04pm
I believe they number the Manchester Gig at #4 and the Rolling Thunder Review stuff is number five, with the Carnagie Hall at number 6.  You have got to get the RTR disc, Prodigal Son, especially considering your old RO sig.  You just cannot imagine the wonder of the musical interplay on It Ain't Me Babe or the sheer lyric audacity of the hundred mile an hour version of Hard Rain.  It's songs like that that make you believe in the creative power of cocaine.

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 7:05pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:04pm:
I believe they number the Manchester Gig at #4 and the Rolling Thunder Review stuff is number five, with the Carnagie Hall at number 6.  You have got to get the RTR disc, Prodigal Son, especially considering your old RO sig.  You just cannot imagine the wonder of the musical interplay on It Ain't Me Babe or the sheer lyric audacity of the hundred mile an hour version of Hard Rain.  It's songs like that that make you believe in the creative power of cocaine.

Funny you should mention RTR, Nasty!!

That is my listening pleasure this evenin' Wink

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #22 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 2:24am
Nasty Habits wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 6:04pm:
I believe they number the Manchester Gig at #4 and the Rolling Thunder Review stuff is number five, with the Carnagie Hall at number 6.  You have got to get the RTR disc, Prodigal Son, especially considering your old RO sig.  You just cannot imagine the wonder of the musical interplay on It Ain't Me Babe or the sheer lyric audacity of the hundred mile an hour version of Hard Rain.  It's songs like that that make you believe in the creative power of cocaine.

Was that what was all over Bobby's face? Well, I hear it's great. How bad can it be? I mean, Hard Rain was pretty lackluster. Too many boring re-workings on that one. I think Hard Rain and Budokan are his two worst live releases for sure (Dylan & the Dead wasn't much either). Before the Flood is underrated- a scintillating double album with the Band for sure. Dylan was on his game from 74-76 but his creative burst really slipped for a while after that. I'd say 81-83 was productive but after that it was back to mediocrity except for Oh Mercy in 89 (almost a freak occurrence in the middle of uninspired throwaway).

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #23 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 7:53am
LOL - no the white stuff was his Renaldo and Clara makeup.  Word is that he also used to wear a Nixon mask for a number or two.  

Please don't take me as being condescending here - in fact, take it as me giving you something to look forward to, but I think that you will one day find to your surprise and delight that you are wrong about Hard Rain.  I used to write it off myself, but I now think that it's his best live release prior to the advent of the Bootleg Series.  It doesn't hurt to see the bootleg DVD of the TV special, because you get a sense of what an out-in-the-wilderness bunch of crazy vagabonds the RTR was at that point (minstrels in '75 but buked and scorned lookin homeless brigade by '76), and you also get three incredible (no lie!) duets with Joan Baez and an utterly out-of-it Hard Rain that aren't on the record.  You also get to see Dylan playing slide on Shelter from the Storm on a crazy Jack White-lookin' plastic-y guitar.  Anyway, once I started paying attention to that release with a little failure under my belt it took on a whole 'nother dimension of woozy defiant last-stand.  Key tracks:  Maggie, Shelter, Idiot, One Too Many Mornings.    

Anyway, it's waaaaaay better than Real Live, which you didn't mention.  I dug Before the Flood when I first got it, but it has faded over time for me.  My favorite track on that at this point is that version of Stage Fright.

By "in the middle" I take it to mean that you've written off most everything from '84 - '97?  Well, I don't disagree with you about most of the 80s (although you need to hear you New Danville Girl if you haven't) but I'll defend those two solo acoustic albums (Good As I Been and World Gone Wrong) as not only essential to the current period of in-studio and on-air creativity but as important and great Dylan records in their own right.  And although Under the Red Sky is a crime against the ear I really do blame Don Was for that - somewhere in its slickass, star-riddled sound is a modest little rockin' blues album with a turned down Stevie Ray and Jimmie Vaughan and Dylan tellin' some pretty weird jokes.  

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008 at 7:56am by Nasty Habits »  

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #24 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 9:15am
I've got to see the if I have this footage of Bob playin slide.
You've got me doin homework now Nasty. Wink
Top of the morning to you.

xxoo,
Martha

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #25 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 9:53am
Nasty Habits wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 7:53am:
LOL - no the white stuff was his Renaldo and Clara makeup.  Word is that he also used to wear a Nixon mask for a number or two.  

Please don't take me as being condescending here - in fact, take it as me giving you something to look forward to, but I think that you will one day find to your surprise and delight that you are wrong about Hard Rain.  I used to write it off myself, but I now think that it's his best live release prior to the advent of the Bootleg Series.  It doesn't hurt to see the bootleg DVD of the TV special, because you get a sense of what an out-in-the-wilderness bunch of crazy vagabonds the RTR was at that point (minstrels in '75 but buked and scorned lookin homeless brigade by '76), and you also get three incredible (no lie!) duets with Joan Baez and an utterly out-of-it Hard Rain that aren't on the record.  You also get to see Dylan playing slide on Shelter from the Storm on a crazy Jack White-lookin' plastic-y guitar.  Anyway, once I started paying attention to that release with a little failure under my belt it took on a whole 'nother dimension of woozy defiant last-stand.  Key tracks:  Maggie, Shelter, Idiot, One Too Many Mornings.    

What the man said. The 'Hard Rain' TV special from Fort Collins may well be my favourite Dylan footage ever. The most intense performance of his life. Never will you see a song sung with the venom and rancour that's in that version of 'Idiot Wind'. Up there with anything he's EVER released for me. The other 'Blood on The Tracks' songs aint bad either. No coincidence that his ex-wife had shown up by surprise backstage to 'confront' him regarding his lifestyle. It shows in the performance.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #26 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:59am

[/quote]

What the man said. The 'Hard Rain' TV special from Fort Collins may well be my favourite Dylan footage ever. The most intense performance of his life. Never will you see a song sung with the venom and rancour that's in that version of 'Idiot Wind'. Up there with anything he's EVER released for me. The other 'Blood on The Tracks' songs aint bad either. No coincidence that his ex-wife had shown up by surprise backstage to 'confront' him regarding his lifestyle. It shows in the performance. [/quote]

You mean Bob was angry and frustrated?  LOL  Oh my, I must see this footage.  Idiot Wind is, in my opinion, his most embarrassing rant/fit ever.

xxoo,
Martha

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #27 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 11:05am
Martha wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 9:15am:
I've got to see the if I have this footage of Bob playin slide.
You've got me doin homework now Nasty. Wink
Top of the morning to you.

xxoo,
Martha

He bashes the crap out of it.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #28 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 12:09pm
Martha wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:59am:

What the man said. The 'Hard Rain' TV special from Fort Collins may well be my favourite Dylan footage ever. The most intense performance of his life. Never will you see a song sung with the venom and rancour that's in that version of 'Idiot Wind'. Up there with anything he's EVER released for me. The other 'Blood on The Tracks' songs aint bad either. No coincidence that his ex-wife had shown up by surprise backstage to 'confront' him regarding his lifestyle. It shows in the performance. [/quote]

You mean Bob was angry and frustrated?  LOL  Oh my, I must see this footage.  Idiot Wind is, in my opinion, his most embarrassing rant/fit ever.

xxoo,
Martha [/quote]

You[ve never seen 'Hard Rain'? Presumably you do own the album.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #29 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 12:20pm
I'm willing to bet she has it in her vast DVD archive that the MarthaGroupies
tm
have sent her.  When she says "homework" she literally means digging around her house until she finds it. Wink

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #30 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 12:53pm
Im pretty sure she has it

Anyway, its pretty much all on You Tube

I'll post the links for all the songs on the TV special after din-dins.... Tongue

... ... ...
IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #31 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 1:37pm

You mean Bob was angry and frustrated?  LOL  Oh my, I must see this footage.  Idiot Wind is, in my opinion, his most embarrassing rant/fit ever.

xxoo,
Martha [/quote]

[/quote]

I do own the album on CD and heard it when I was younger, so it was familiar to me.  No I haven't watched Hard Rain.  I have to look to see if I have it anywhere.  I prolly do.  My DVD'r's and bootlegs have never been logged-in and are in shambles since we moved West.  I need help to organize all I have not too mention I have NO space to put anything anywhere in this tiny place.  I am very behind in this endeavor. I am admittedly overwhelmed.

xxoo,
Martha

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #32 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 1:49pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 12:20pm:
I'm willing to bet she has it in her vast DVD archive that the MarthaGroupies
tm
have sent her.  When she says "homework" she literally means digging around her house until she finds it. Wink

You know me all too well my darlin' one. LOL  Moving West and enduring the first year with motion/altitude sickness and inner ear debris, which means I had horrible debilitating dizzy spells every time I would lie down did not allow me to get my boots organized.  I couldn't even look up at shelves ( in the store or at home) without having a dizzy nausea spell. It was awful.  Then that began to subside last spring and my left side hip to toe went into a horrible spasm that crippled me.  I could not sit nor could I lie down.  My hip thigh and calf spasommed non stop for weeks on end. I am still working my way out of that pain. My foot is still numb and my left-side still expresses in spasm all the time.   It has never gone completely away since it began at 1:00 MT last May 15th.  I have never experienced this level of excruciating pain until my body tried to snap like a taught rubber band.  I came close to blacking out the day the spasm began.  I had to call my husband home from work.  I was terrified.  So being out here 2 years does not mean I've been living in a free for all, I have been ill almost the entire time I've been here.  It gets old not feeling well.  This is why I am so slow on the uptake.  I do not function like a normal healthy person my age.  It's a daily challenge for me to do my life.  More reason though to look for Hard Rain and watch it!  Indeed.

peace to one and all,
Martha

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #33 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:16pm
Nasty Habits wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 7:53am:

Anyway, it's waaaaaay better than Real Live, which you didn't mention.  I dug Before the Flood when I first got it, but it has faded over time for me.  My favorite track on that at this point is that version of Stage Fright.

By "in the middle" I take it to mean that you've written off most everything from '84 - '97?  Well, I don't disagree with you about most of the 80s (although you need to hear you New Danville Girl if you haven't) but I'll defend those two solo acoustic albums (Good As I Been and World Gone Wrong) as not only essential to the current period of in-studio and on-air creativity but as important and great Dylan records in their own right.  And although Under the Red Sky is a crime against the ear I really do blame Don Was for that - somewhere in its slickass, star-riddled sound is a modest little rockin' blues album with a turned down Stevie Ray and Jimmie Vaughan and Dylan tellin' some pretty weird jokes.  

Yeah I was kidding about the makeup, I know it was his "mask" so people wouldn't look at him the same or something. I just don't like a lot of the arrangements on Hard Rain so for me it's not much better than Real Live and I still love Before the Flood. Budokan is just terrible though, with his Vegasy rock outfit and whatnot. I write off the periods you mentioned only as mediocre by Dylan standards. Shot of Love and Infidels, plus all the great unreleased gems in between, makes 1981-83 so good. Slow Train is a bit monotonous but some songs break the cycle and it's a quality album. I really don't like much of what's on Street Legal and Saved- only top-notch tracks from those for me are "Senor," "Where Are You Tonight," "Solid Rock" and "What Can I Do For You?"

Empire Burlesque isn't as weak as SL or Saved, in fact it's quite consistent. Some songs are burdened by the usual bluesy slick sound of mid-80s Dylan and are ultimately forgettable. But he shows a good songwriting touch with "Dark Eyes," "Tight Connection," and "Emotionally Yours." I've always felt "Something's Burning, Baby" actually is underrated because its synth-heavy setting actually seems to aid to the sombre mood. But I don't care what anyone tells me, the disco junk "When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky" is an abomination. Certainly a low point in his catalogue. As everyone without a tin ear knows, the major key rock version is much better. Damn Dave Stewart tried to make Bob sound like a Eurythmics B-side though.

Knocked Out Loaded is infinitely minor with some real throwaway except the cheesy masterpiece that is "Brownsville Girl," which would have been the best song off Self-Portrait (sounds fitting for that double LP because of its weirdness, the female backup singers and the Mexican horn parts). Some songs just needed better production and they'd sound like the rockabilly from Love & Theft (I speak of "You Wanna Ramble" and "Got MyMind Msade up"). "Precious Memories" is decent reggae and "Driftin' Too Far from Shore" would have been good had the production not been so lousy.

But "Maybe Someday" is one of the sloppiest recordings this side of the Dylan LP from 1973, "Under Your Spell" uninspired doo-wop and "They Killed Him" is one of his worst songs right up there with the immortally maudlin "Lenny Bruce" and "Property of Jesus" (the only songs bringing down Shot of Love at all). Down in the Groove is average at best, but I have a soft spot for some of the tunes. "Let's Stick Together," "Sally Sue Brown" and "Ugliest Girl in the World" are the usual blues-rock, nothing special although the third of those three has humourous value. But I really enjoy the folkier leanings like "Shenandoah," "Rank Stranger to Me." He even gets gospel with "Death is Not the End" and "90 Miles an Hour (Down a Dead End Street)."

Down in the Groove's standout still may be "Silvio" but it's not as weak as Knocked Out Loaded. Oh Mercy is a great record in spots, a sanctimonious bore in others (such as on "Disease of Conceit," "Where Teardrops Fall" and "Ring Them Bells"). Daniel Lanois deserves a lot of credit for taking these songs and making them absolutely gorgeous and yet Dylan felt "Series of Dreams" just didn't fit. That would happen to Oh Mercy's best song if it made the cut, IMO. Oh Mercy lacks some of the light-heartedness of his other 80s records which, although it stands above those, makes Oh Mercy less than a great album.

Under the Red Sky had potentially good songs but Don Was's non-descript, slick all-star production sucks life out of what was otherwise a bluesy tour de force. "Wiggle Wiggle" and others may have silly lyrics, but Bob's catering to the youth market and having fun doing it so I won't begrudge that. I never wrote off the two acoustic records but I just implied they weren't creative because he was doing covers. Still, essential. Good As I Been to You has a couple duds so it's just really good, but World Gone Wrong borders on excellent. It's a darker, more focused covers album and showed perhaps he still had the old fire. There are some excellent covers between the two though- "Frankie and Albert," "Jim Jones," "Blackjack Davey," "Little Maggie," "Diamond Joe," and well it's hard to choose the best from WGW because frankly, it's all good. And of course ever since he's been on a roll. My reviews of this post-RTR, pre-Time "lull":

Hard Rain: B+
Street Legal: B-
Live at Budokan: C
Slow Train Coming: B+
Saved: C+
Shot of Love: B+
Infidels: A-
Empire Burlesque: B+
Biograph: A
Real Live: B
Knocked Out Loaded: C+ (never heard anything from Hearts of Fire yet)
Down in the Groove: B-
Dylan & the Dead: C+
Oh Mercy: B+
Under the Red Sky: B-
Bootleg Series, Vol 1-3: A
Good as I Been to You: B+
World Gone Wrong: A-
MTV Unplugged: A-
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:21pm by Prodigal Son »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #34 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:23pm
[quote author=Prodigal Son link=1208200687/30#34 date=1208553383Oh Mercy is a great record in spots, a sanctimonious bore in others (such as on "Disease of Conceit," "Where Teardrops Fall" and "Ring Them Bells"). Daniel Lanois deserves a lot of credit for taking these songs and making them absolutely gorgeous and yet Dylan felt "Series of Dreams" just didn't fit. That would happen to Oh Mercy's best song if it made the cut, IMO. Oh Mercy lacks some of the light-heartedness of his other 80s records which, although it stands above those, makes Oh Mercy less than a great album.
[/quote]

Ring Them Bells a sanctimonious bore? WTF? Its a masterpiece

The version of Series of Dreams thats on Bootleg Series featured overdubs from early 1991. He was right to leave the original version off Oh Mercy as it was at the time. 'Dignity',, however, was a more releasable song at that point.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #35 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:45pm
Martha wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 1:37pm:

xxoo,
Martha

[/quote]

I do own the album on CD and heard it when I was younger, so it was familiar to me.  No I haven't watched Hard Rain.  I have to look to see if I have it anywhere.  I prolly do.  My DVD'r's and bootlegs have never been logged-in and are in shambles since we moved West.  I need help to organize all I have not too mention I have NO space to put anything anywhere in this tiny place.  I am very behind in this endeavor. I am admittedly overwhelmed.

xxoo,
Martha [/quote]

here ya go

Fort Collins, Colorado 23.5.76. Broadcast in September 1976. Never rerun or released on video/DVD

Songs in approximate order of the broadcast :

A HARD RAIN'S A-GONNA FALL :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKmxEJLcsIQ

BLOWIN' IN THE WIND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7_9YgQrFbc

RAILROAD BOY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdoiZZk7BfI

DEPORTEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz9okKRhimE

I PITY THE POOR IMMIGRANT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXDEfxff_RE

MAGGIE'S FARM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s644Yce0E0

ONE TOO MANY MORNINGS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjf7zmuf1A0

SHELTER FROM THE STORM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwKudE2Qdw

MOZAMBIQUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKdj6LdWAMU

IDIOT WIND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDZvP7T3B30

Couldnt find the finale (Knockin On Heavens Door) - the versions on YouTube are from the unbroadcast 1st version of 'Hard Rain' from Clearwater a month earlier.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #36 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 5:14pm
Prodigal Son wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:16pm:
[quote author=Gazza link=1208200687/30#35 date=1208553786]Ring Them Bells a sanctimonious bore? WTF? Its a masterpiece

The version of Series of Dreams thats on Bootleg Series featured overdubs from early 1991. He was right to leave the original version off Oh Mercy as it was at the time. 'Dignity',, however, was a more releasable song at that point.

I didn't realize "Series of Dreams" had overdubs before release, but the completed version is a masterpiece to me. "Ring Them Bells" not as much. Ok, it's not a sanctimonious bore, just maybe a bit overdone in its biblical nature. It's certainly not bad, but I don't find it a masterpiece and I find all but a few other songs on Oh Mercy to be superior to "Ring Them Bells." I think "What Good Am I?" gets the whole slow, rumbling ballad thing down better. Of course "Shooting Star," "Most of the Time" and "Man in the Long Black Coat" are totally harrowing masterpieces. "What Was it You Wanted?" and "Political World" also strike a chord with me while "Everything is Broken," average on paper, impresses thanks to another spooky instrumental palette.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008 at 10:56am by Unholy Trinity »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #37 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 6:10pm
Your three picks of 'harrowing masterpieces' are my 3 favourites on the album

This however is THE definitive version of 'Ring Them Bells', from the Great Music Experience worldwide broadcast from Japan in May 1994.

For me, Dylan's resurgence as an artist dates from this one performance. A career reborn in the space of fifteen minutes. I remember sitting up until about 3 am to watch this on a German TV satellite live broadcast and being blown away by it.

A HARD RAIN'S A-GONNA FALL (the greatest version ever)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EacmNcg14EE

I SHALL BE RELEASED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gUU6jSQgGc

RING THEM BELLS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmAN7aiibFM

... ... ...
IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #38 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:30pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 6:10pm:

This however is THE definitive version of 'Ring Them Bells', from the Great Music Experience worldwide broadcast from Japan in May 1994.

For me, Dylan's resurgence as an artist dates from this one performance. A career reborn in the space of fifteen minutes. I remember sitting up until about 3 am to watch this on a German TV satellite live broadcast and being blown away by it.

I SHALL BE RELEASED

RING THEM BELLS

Those two folk albums sort of rejuvenated him to make better music and around this time you're right, he was recovering his mastery. That is definitely the best version of "Hard Rain" I've heard. He needed some 50 years on the planet before he was road-weary and wise enough to deliver that spectacular arrangement and wow, that kind of singing is something we don't always get from Dylan. And that "Ring Them Bells" was how it should have been recorded. On Oh Mercy it's too simplistic and it doesn't fit as well. That kind of style works better for "Every Grain of Sand."

It's also recorded at too fast a tempo and sounds too much like all his rebirth-era piano compositions (like "When He Returns" or "Pressing on"). I just think the Oh Mercy version of "Ring Them Bells" could have used a better arrangement and production, which is odd because every other song has a pretty awesome setting. It needed a grand orchestra and slower tempo to be great, IMO. That live version roves that even the more forgettable Dylan tracks can be made into masterpiece. Damn, the guy should do an entire album of re-recordings like that but it seems to revisionist for his standards.

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #39 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 3:46pm
Thanks for the links Gary.  I appreciate that a lot.

Oh Mercy is one of my absolute favorite albums.  I've almost worn it out along with Time Out Of Mind and Modern Times. 

xxoo,
Martha

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #40 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 4:00pm
IDIOT WIND

Okay, I am watching him throwing his angry fit.  I'd like to see Sara run out and chase him about with a BROOM, I wonder how he'd take something like that?  LOL  I would do it if he pulled that shit on me.  Oh yeah.....midnight rambler is what I'd go.   Shocked

I am not fully civilized. LOL

Thanks again Gazza.  I am havin' fun now!

xxoo,
Martha

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #41 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:17pm
Gazza wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 6:10pm:

I SHALL BE RELEASED

RING THEM BELLS

Hard Rain is...   Simply marvelous....

Thanks for finding the youtubes and posting them Kiss

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #42 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:46pm
Martha wrote on Apr 21st, 2008 at 4:00pm:
IDIOT WIND

Okay, I am watching him throwing his angry fit.  I'd like to see Sara run out and chase him about with a BROOM, I wonder how he'd take something like that?  LOL  I would do it if he pulled that shit on me.  Oh yeah.....midnight rambler is what I'd go.   Shocked

Thanks again Gazza.  I am havin' fun now!

xxoo,
Martha

Now I'm havin' visions of YOU chasin' ol' Bob around with a broom, Martha! LOL.
I love how he says Italy - Iddaleee
God, I forgot how great this stuff is. I need to see Bob again soon.

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #43 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 9:53pm
Martha wrote on Apr 21st, 2008 at 4:00pm:
IDIOT WIND

Okay, I am watching him throwing his angry fit.  I'd like to see Sara run out and chase him about with a BROOM, I wonder how he'd take something like that?  LOL  I would do it if he pulled that shit on me.  Oh yeah.....midnight rambler is what I'd go.   Shocked

Thanks again Gazza.  I am havin' fun now!

xxoo,
Martha

Yeah, you don't get a good view of the man when you read Howard Sounes' "Down the Highway." Around this time he was a real SOB sometimes, having awful rows with Sarah before their 1978 divorce. Dylan his whole life has been a ladies man, but has also been a family man at the same time if that's at all possible. And of course he got into romancing black chicks in the 80s. The guy also was always a hard drinker but finally eased up on it by the mid-90s which is also when he turned it around. Seeing him mumble out-of-tune and out-of-time at his 1992 30th anniversary tribute show, one would think he was already drunk.

It seemed like his days as a force were ove.r But a few years later, he was magic in concert and then on record. Oh Mercy was a sign that he could be great again and it was probably his only LP highlighting true excellence as a songwriter in the 1984-95 period. If the 1991 version of "Series of Dreams" had been reay in 1989, you could substitute it for "Disease of Conceit" and an old leftover like "Angelina" could've fit on Oh Mercy in place of "Where Teardrops Fall." Then you're looking at his best album pre-Time and post-Desire. As it stands, Infidels gets the nod for me. Sure, "Man of Peace" and "License to Kill" are average, but it has some real gems buried in there like "I and I," "Sweetheart Like You" and "Neighbourhood Bully" is an underrated dirty rocker. Anyway, 80s Dylan>>>>any normal pop hack's career.

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #44 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 10:56am
I believe that Bob's Mother indulged him rather than teaching him to cooperate with others.  That may be a key to what gave him the license to act like a real asshole towards his wife. I hope he's made that right now with Sarah. He knows better even if he hasn't done better. 

"We all wear the same thorny crown."

xxoo,
MM

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #45 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 12:09pm
Some touring info :

According to Billboard, Bob Dylan, Iggy & the Stooges, Paramore, Chuck Berry (backed by the Silver Beats), the Black Keys and Wilco will join previously announced headliners Foo Fighters, Jack Johnson, Kanye West, Nine Inch Nails and Stone Temple Pilots for the third annual Virgin Mobile Festival at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore on Aug. 9-10.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #46 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 2:56am
Thanks for the youtube links Gazza, amazing stuff

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

erikjjf
Rocks Off Regular

Sweden
Reply #47 - May 3rd, 2008 at 4:47am
Another US show added:
May 16th at The Palladium in Worcester, MA.
Presale on Monday.

http://www.bobdylan.com/moderntimes/tour/main.html

IP Logged

Martha
Rocks Off Regular

The Blues
Reply #48 - May 3rd, 2008 at 9:22am
Anyone hitting the first 2 openers? Wish I could!

IP Logged

Child of the Moon
Rocks Off Regular

Plug in, flush out, and
fire the fuckin' feed...

In the timbers of Fennario
Reply #49 - May 3rd, 2008 at 1:37pm
Re: The Hard Rain album...

That version of Shelter from the Storm is, quite possibly, the most exciting thing ever recorded.

"[What does God look like?] Probably a very insignificant little creature. Probably invisible. I don't think he needs a look. And I tell you , if he has one, he'd probably look like me."&&&&"[What fantasy do I still have to fulfill?] Fucking God! Ha, ha!"&&&&-Keith Richards&&&&...

IP Logged

vox12string
Rocks Off Regular

Australia
Reply #50 - May 4th, 2008 at 8:31am
The Dylan/David Bromberg tape, Holy Grail or what...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #51 - May 5th, 2008 at 11:46am
NEW U.S. DATE ADDED

May 16, The Palladium, Worcester, Massachusetts.

... ... ...
IP Logged

erikjjf
Rocks Off Regular

Sweden
Reply #52 - May 5th, 2008 at 12:31pm
Gazza wrote on May 5th, 2008 at 11:46am:
NEW U.S. DATE ADDED

May 16, The Palladium, Worcester, Massachusetts.

I posted this on page 2 a few days ago.
Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)