Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 167
Send Topic Print
Anything Springsteen  on RO... Part 4a (Read 567,875 times)
GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Re: Anything Springsteen  on RO... Part 4a
Reply #50 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 10:30pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Aw, fuck. I was so hoping he'd be okay. May the good lord shine a light on ya, Danny.
 Cry

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

parmeda
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #51 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 1:26am
Such sad news.
And again it reminds us our lives are a mere snap of a finger and a bat of an eye.

RIP Danny.

I am fluent in three languages... English, Sarcasm, and Profanity

IP Logged

Prodigal Son
Rocks Off Regular

That'll be the way to
get along...

Calgary, AB, Canada
Reply #52 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 2:20am
That's such a huge loss for the Boss... musically and personally. Federici had been in the E Street Band forever practically. I think only he, Bruce and Gary Tallent have been in the group since its inception. Even Steve Van Zandt didn't show up till 75 which is also when Roy Bittan and Max Weinberg joined. That's sad news.
RIP Danny

WWW Prodigal Son Prodigal Son ICQ-ball - -  
IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #53 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 2:27am
that is shitty news indeed....very sad

RIP and deepest condolences, to all concerned.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #54 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 3:35am
Absolutely gutted. Really thought his recent guest appearance a month ago suggested he'd turned the corner. What a wonderful musician he was. God bless him.

RIP Danny

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #55 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:23am
"Danny and I worked together for 40 years - he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much...we grew up together."
—Bruce Springsteen

Oh such sad news
He will be missed

So glad we have Boston for our memories, Nelly and Leftie.

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:36am by PartyDoll MEG »  

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #56 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:39am
E Street Band member Danny Federici dies at 58

NEW YORK (AP) — Danny Federici, the longtime keyboard player for Bruce Springsteen whose stylish work helped define the E Street Band's sound on hits from "Hungry Heart" through "The Rising," died Thursday. He was 58.

Federici, who had battled melanoma for three years, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. News of his death was posted late Thursday on Springsteen's official Web site.

He last performed with Springsteen and the band last month, appearing during portions of a March 20 show in Indianapolis.

"Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much ... we grew up together," Springsteen said in a statement posted on his Web site.

Springsteen concerts scheduled for Friday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Saturday in Orlando were postponed.

Federici was born in Flemington, N.J., a long car ride from the Jersey shore haunts where he first met kindred musical spirit Springsteen in the late 1960s. The pair often jammed at the Upstage Club in Asbury Park, N.J., a now-defunct after-hours club that hosted the best musicians in the state.

It was Federici, along with original E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez, who first invited Springsteen to join their band.

By 1969, the self-effacing Federici — often introduced in concert by Springsteen as "Phantom Dan" — was playing with the Boss in a band called Child. Over the years, Federici joined his friend in acclaimed shore bands Steel Mill, Dr. Zoom and the Sonic Boom and the Bruce Springsteen Band.

Federici became a stalwart in the E Street Band as Springsteen rocketed from the boardwalk to international stardom. Springsteen split from the E Streeters in the late '80s, but they reunited for a hugely successful tour in 1999.

"Bruce has been supportive throughout my life," Federici said in a recent interview with Backstreets magazine. "I've had my ups and downs, and I've certainly given him a run for his money, and he's always been there for me."

Federici played accordion on the wistful "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" from Springsteen's second album, and his organ solo was a highlight of Springsteen's first top 10 hit, "Hungry Heart." His organ coda on the 9/11-inspired Springsteen song "You're Missing" provided one of the more heart-wrenching moments on "The Rising" in 2002.

In a band with larger-than-life characters such as saxophonist Clarence Clemons and bandana-wrapped guitarist "Little" Steven Van Zandt, Federici was content to play in his familiar position to the side of the stage. But his playing was as vital to Springsteen's live show as any instrument in the band.

Federici released a pair of solo albums that veered from the E Street sound and into soft jazz. Bandmates Nils Lofgren on guitar and Garry Tallent on bass joined Federici on his 1997 debut, "Flemington." In 2005, Federici released its follow-up, "Out of a Dream."

Federici had taken a leave of absence during the band's tour in November 2007 to pursue treatment for melanoma, and was temporarily replaced by veteran musician Charles Giordano.

At the time, Springsteen described Federici as "one of the pillars of our sound and has played beside me as a great friend for more than 40 years. We all eagerly await his healthy and speedy return."

Besides his work with Springsteen, Federici played on albums by an impressive roster of other artists: Van Zandt, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker, Gary U.S. Bonds and Garland Jeffreys.

IP Logged

Linda
Rocks Off Regular

One Love!

Luleå, Sweden
Reply #57 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:55am
Really sad news  Cry
R.I.P Danny

You Got The Silver, You Got The Gold
Linda  
IP Logged

charlotte
Rocks Off Regular

You've got a cut throat
crew

Reply #58 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:03am
really sad news...RIP Danny

meg, I also had tickets to Greensboro 28th but I gave them to a charity auction for
Levine Children's Hospital at Carolinas Medical Center...two tickets raised $500
I think the Boss and Danny would approve.
http://www.levinechildrenshospital.org/

&&&&

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #59 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:06am
charlotte wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:03am:
really sad news...RIP Danny

meg, I also had tickets to Greensboro 28th but I gave them to a charity auction for
Levine Children's Hospital at Carolinas Medical Center...two tickets raised $500
I think the Boss and Danny would approve.
http://www.levinechildrenshospital.org/

I think that was outstanding of you, Charlotte!!!

Do you still have my email?  Shoot me off one if you have time, as I lost yours 2 computer crashes ago! Wink

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #60 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:10am
OMG.
Just saw this.
Very sad.

I know how much this Band means to so many of you.

Yes, put's everything into perspective.

RIP

LJ.

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #61 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:58am
Had to post these one more time.....Brings tears to my eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxj6_eOQhsY

and his last Sandy

http://www.youtube.com/v/pVeZFTN139Yl

updated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQRu_AKUO8
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:12pm by PartyDoll MEG »  

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
E Street Band member Danny Federici dies at 58 (ns
Reply #62 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 9:32am
From MSN Entertainment  April 18, 2008

E Street Band member Danny Federici dies at 58
April 18, 2008, 7:43 AM EST
Danny Federici, the longtime keyboard player for Bruce Springsteen whose stylish work helped define the E Street Band's sound on hits from "Hungry Heart" through "The Rising," died Thursday. He was 58.

Federici, who had battled melanoma for three years, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. News of his death was posted late Thursday on Springsteen's official Web site.

He last performed with Springsteen and the band last month, appearing during portions of a March 20 show in Indianapolis.

"Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much ... we grew up together," Springsteen said in a statement posted on his Web site.

Springsteen concerts scheduled for Friday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Saturday in Orlando were postponed.

Federici was born in Flemington, N.J., a long car ride from the Jersey shore haunts where he first met kindred musical spirit Springsteen in the late 1960s. The pair often jammed at the Upstage Club in Asbury Park, N.J., a now-defunct after-hours club that hosted the best musicians in the state.

It was Federici, along with original E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez, who first invited Springsteen to join their band.

By 1969, the self-effacing Federici — often introduced in concert by Springsteen as "Phantom Dan" — was playing with the Boss in a band called Child. Over the years, Federici joined his friend in acclaimed shore bands Steel Mill, Dr. Zoom and the Sonic Boom and the Bruce Springsteen Band.

Federici became a stalwart in the E Street Band as Springsteen rocketed from the boardwalk to international stardom. Springsteen split from the E Streeters in the late '80s, but they reunited for a hugely successful tour in 1999.

"Bruce has been supportive throughout my life," Federici said in a recent interview with Backstreets magazine. "I've had my ups and downs, and I've certainly given him a run for his money, and he's always been there for me."

Federici played accordion on the wistful "4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)" from Springsteen's second album, and his organ solo was a highlight of Springsteen's first top 10 hit, "Hungry Heart." His organ coda on the 9/11-inspired Springsteen song "You're Missing" provided one of the more heart-wrenching moments on "The Rising" in 2002.

In a band with larger-than-life characters such as saxophonist Clarence Clemons and bandana-wrapped guitarist "Little" Steven Van Zandt, Federici was content to play in his familiar position to the side of the stage. But his playing was as vital to Springsteen's live show as any instrument in the band.

Federici released a pair of solo albums that veered from the E Street sound and into soft jazz. Bandmates Nils Lofgren on guitar and Garry Tallent on bass joined Federici on his 1997 debut, "Flemington." In 2005, Federici released its follow-up, "Out of a Dream."

Federici had taken a leave of absence during the band's tour in November 2007 to pursue treatment for melanoma, and was temporarily replaced by veteran musician Charles Giordano.

At the time, Springsteen described Federici as "one of the pillars of our sound and has played beside me as a great friend for more than 40 years. We all eagerly await his healthy and speedy return."

Besides his work with Springsteen, Federici played on albums by an impressive roster of other artists: Van Zandt, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker, Gary U.S. Bonds and Garland Jeffreys.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #63 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:40am
LadyJane wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:10am:
OMG.
Just saw this.
Very sad.

A helluva lot, to put it mildly, LJ - over the last three decades in my case.

Extra poignant because he was there right from the start and he's the first of the E Street Band to go. It's a strange comparison with the Stones because in recent years THEY have seemed to be more and more 'fragile' health-wise, but with the ESB thats never really been an issue until his diagnosis became public in November.

A big void for Bruce fans and a very unpleasant way of realising that we're all getting older.

"maybe we aint that young anymore.."

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #64 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:54am
Gazza wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:40am:
OMG.
Just saw this.
Very sad.

Extra poignant because he was there right from the start and he's the first of the E Street Band to go. It's a strange comparison with the Stones because in recent years THEY have seemed to be more and more 'fragile' health-wise, but with the ESB thats never really been an issue until his diagnosis became public in November.

A big void for Bruce fans and a very unpleasant way of realising that we're all getting older.

I am deeply sorry, G.  Cry
Deeply.

I cannot bear to think of the day I wake up to hear similar news re....I can't even write it.  Cry
Who will understand my grief?
Thankfully, we have each other at times like this.

hugs,
LJ.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #65 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 11:01am
LadyJane wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:54am:
Gazza wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 10:40am:
OMG.
Just saw this.
Very sad.

I am deeply sorry, G.  Cry
Deeply.

I cannot bear to think of the day I wake up to hear similar news re....I can't even write it.  Cry
Who will understand my grief?
Thankfully, we have each other at times like this.

hugs,
LJ.

Theres the thing. I knew you'd reply by saying something like that - because we all know how it is and feel the same way. You dont need to finish your sentence or say anymore. Which speaks volumes, I think.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #66 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 11:21am

RIP Danny

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #67 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 3:14pm
Was listening to "Wild & Innocent" and "Darkness" this morning and tearing up. It just won't be the same without him. Thought it might be nice to post a few pics.

Danny and Bruce, 1969

The E Street Band, 1973

The E Street Band, 2007

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #68 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 3:45pm
PartyDoll MEG wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 8:58am:
Had to post these one more time.....Brings tears to my eyes

http://www.youtube.com/v/yxj6_eOQhsYl

and his last Sandy

http://www.youtube.com/v/pVeZFTN139Yl

updated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQRu_AKUO8

The final bow in Boston :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxj6_eOQhsY

... ... ...
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #69 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 3:48pm
Yes it is hard to watch those videos I posted too..

But I am trying to look at it from the viewpoint of all he has given us in Bruce's music over the years.  And we have that until we join him...

Like Sandy..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usb9N2czOO8

and his Kitty's Back Solo in Boston
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNENLay02b8

Oh hell the whole thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTkIHn9ksPU

Across the Border
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHNlq0AWr_E

and just of few of the others... Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-Ifwiz6Zw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hWQQOd2YAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFO-N01wup0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDHmWjLBHic
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:20pm by PartyDoll MEG »  

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #70 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 4:43pm
How could I forget my favorite Bruce video with the Phantom, of course? Wink

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d5PoIrcyd34

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #71 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 5:04pm
What a devastating loss, I imagine, for Bruce personally. Losing Magovern so recently, and now an Ur-E-Streeter. RIP.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #72 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 5:52pm

Sirius' E Street Radio (Channel 10) is broadcasting the 11/19/07 Boston show tonight, tomorrow and Sunday @ 8PM ET.

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #73 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 5:54pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 18th, 2008 at 5:52pm:
Sirius' E Street Radio (Channel 10) is broadcasting the 11/19/07 Boston show tonight, tomorrow and Sunday @ 8PM ET.

Been listening to those shows all day, Leftie

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #74 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 6:04pm
http://www.thedannyfedericimelanomafund.com/news.html

The Federici family and the E Street family have requested that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund -- The fund's website is now up and running, where it is described as "dedicated to the research and development of new and effective treatments for melanoma through funding for additional clinical trials based upon Danny's melanoma treatments and other methods headed by Dr. Paul Chapman [at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center]. Our other objective is to raise awareness for this aggressive disease."

You'll find a statement from Danny there, too:

“What people take for granted on a daily basis, among so many other things, is their skin. I spent my life, like many others, catching some rays, surfing, hanging out in the sun and it never bothered me until now. Who knew that something as simple as a proper sunscreen or keeping yourself covered up on a sunny day could one day save your life? Our culture looks at a nice tan as a sign of luxury. We spend time in tanning booths when we can't go to the beach or lay by the pool. It's time to think again. Especially if you're fair skined, have freckles, or light eyes. Be aware of the dangers, take precaution, and have yourself checked out regularly by a dermatologist from head to toe. It could absolutely make the difference in your life." --Danny Federici

We encourage you to visit, explore, and donate as generously as you're able. One fan wrote me this morning with an idea: "If every Tramp sent a dollar for each and every show they've seen, we could all do something good for the Danny Federici Melanoma Fund! My check will be $33, just let me know where to send it."

You'll find a donation button and contact info at www.thedannyfedericimelanomafund.com.

An interesting letter on that site from his son Jason after the Indy show:

March 20th, 2008;

Danny returns to the stage to rave reviews.

Indianapolis, Indiana

by Jason Federici

While my Dad was going through treatment on March 19th in NY, he was visited by Bruce and later Max, who, through a lot of talking, bribing, and begging (and finally the kicker -- Becky Weinburg, who came from NJ by boat that night) to persuade him to play, he agreed to do the show in Indy. The next thing we knew, we where picked up by a limo from Sloan-Kettering, joined by my dad's wife, Maya, Dr. Chapman and Virgina Murphy and we proceeded down FDR highway to an awaiting helicopter that whisked us away to Newark airport in about 8 minutes (a good time by all, except maybe Dr. Chapman who was gripping the arm rests like a baseball bat). Before we knew it, we were in the jet with the boys. Danny was greeted with a lot of hugs and smiles, to say the least. An hour and a half later, we pulled into Conseco arena. When my father stepped on stage the crowd started chanting "Danny! Danny! Danny!". You could physically feel the "Magic" in the air (excuse the pun). My father proceeded to do what he does best - rock out! He played with such a natural ease. The feeling of the evening was electric. The visible bond between the fellas was so special to watch. Nils spent most of the night next to him, Clarence kept turning around to give him props during the night, and Bruce was so visibly happy to have him there. I couldn't stop smiling all night. After the exciting encore, he left the stage, went straight to the car, then to the plane, and was fast asleep in NY by 2am. It really was like a dream. In the morning, over coffee, we looked at each other and realized the magnitude of the night. It was a great day! My father has always been such an inspiration to me, I can only imagine what an inspiration he is to others."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 167
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)