Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 
Send Topic Print
Anything Springsteen  on RO... Part 4a (Read 567,562 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Anything Springsteen  on RO... Part 4a
Reply #4100 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 10:06am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 8:49am:
Springsteen made a bold move yesterday. Cancelling his show in Greensboro, because of a controversial new law in North Carolina:

As you, my fans, know I’m scheduled to play in Greensboro, North Carolina this Sunday. As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the “bathroom” law. HB2 — known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act — dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace. No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it’s an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress. Right now, there are many groups, businesses, and individuals in North Carolina working to oppose and overcome these negative developments. Taking all of this into account, I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters. As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th. Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them. It is the strongest means I have for raising my voice in opposition to those who continue to push us backwards instead of forwards.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band’s Sunday April 10th show is canceled. Tickets will be refunded at point of purchase.
brucespringsteen.net

So this is a better way of protesting than to actually do the show and make a statement from the stage with potentially tens of thousands of supporters in attendance?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4101 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 10:30am
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 10:06am:
Springsteen made a bold move yesterday. Cancelling his show in Greensboro, because of a controversial new law in North Carolina:

As you, my fans, know I’m scheduled to play in Greensboro, North Carolina this Sunday. As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the “bathroom” law. HB2 — known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act — dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace. No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it’s an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress. Right now, there are many groups, businesses, and individuals in North Carolina working to oppose and overcome these negative developments. Taking all of this into account, I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters. As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th. Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them. It is the strongest means I have for raising my voice in opposition to those who continue to push us backwards instead of forwards.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band’s Sunday April 10th show is canceled. Tickets will be refunded at point of purchase.
brucespringsteen.net

So this is a better way of protesting than to actually do the show and make a statement from the stage with potentially tens of thousands of supporters in attendance?

Yes. The issue is getting far more publicity this way.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4102 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:01am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 10:30am:

brucespringsteen.net

That controversial law is getting publicity on it's own.

If Springsteen really wanted to make a statement he could have loaded up with the press and made some headlines at that show.
In this case, he hardly "raised his voice" at all and simply stayed home.

.......and what about the fans?
They might get their money back from Bruce, but do they get their "convenience charge" back as well?

Springsteen could have done a whole lot better.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Buffalo,NY
Reply #4103 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:57am
YEAH 4 BRUCE and STEVEE

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4104 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:10pm
lavendar wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:57am:
YEAH 4 BRUCE and STEVEE

Yay indeed Lavender.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4105 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:12pm
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:01am:

brucespringsteen.net

That controversial law is getting publicity on it's own.

If Springsteen really wanted to make a statement he could have loaded up with the press and made some headlines at that show.
In this case, he hardly "raised his voice" at all and simply stayed home.

.......and what about the fans?
They might get their money back from Bruce, but do they get their "convenience charge" back as well?

Springsteen could have done a whole lot better.

Let me guess. You're voting for Trump. Make America hate again......................Good luck with that Riffy Grove.

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #4106 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:22pm

brucespringsteen.net

I agree. I don't think anybody gives a crap what a musician says on stage. Hell, I love the Stones but even I'm not going to pay that much attention to what they're talking about on stage; I don't idolize even them or anyone that much. Springsteen canceling the concert and giving that as the reason has appeared on a bunch of news sites and generated quite a bit of interest on twitter. How far would anything he said on stage gone by comparison?

It's too bad that Bryan Adams' cancellation in Mississippi didn't get as much attention. If you're not familiar with this issue, Mississippi made it legal to discriminate against LGBT folks using their religion as an excuse.... which is bad enough but is also open to all kinds of abuse, if you ask me ("But You Honor, I'm sure they're gay! Their skin color had nothing to do with it! They're obviously lying about their orientation."). Yeah, being openly bisexual myself, I'm very glad that I'm not living in Mississippi.

And I managed to type Mississippi a total of 4 times without once making a typo. Yes!

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4107 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:24pm
Freya Gin wrote on Apr 11th, 2016 at 7:22pm:

brucespringsteen.net

I agree. I don't think anybody gives a crap what a musician says on stage. Hell, I love the Stones but even I'm not going to pay that much attention to what they're talking about on stage; I don't idolize even them or anyone that much. Springsteen canceling the concert and giving that as the reason has appeared on a bunch of news sites and generated quite a bit of interest on twitter. How far would anything he said on stage gone by comparison?

It's too bad that Bryan Adams' cancellation in Mississippi didn't get as much attention. If you're not familiar with this issue, Mississippi made it legal to discriminate against LGBT folks using their religion as an excuse.... which is bad enough but is also open to all kinds of abuse, if you ask me ("But You Honor, I'm sure they're gay! Their skin color had nothing to do with it! They're obviously lying about their orientation."). Yeah, being openly bisexual myself, I'm very glad that I'm not living in Mississippi.

And I managed to type Mississippi a total of 4 times without once making a typo. Yes!

Good job FG.  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #4108 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 10:08am
In my view, think Bruce is above "bathroom politics."   Btw, he's playing Baltimore, MD next week.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2016 at 10:15am by Factory Girl »  

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4109 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:59am
Factory Girl wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 10:08am:
In my view, think Bruce is above "bathroom politics."   Btw, he's playing Baltimore, MD next week. 

Are you going?

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #4110 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:17am
I think this issue needs to be addressed somehow.
Isn't there UniSex bathrooms around?
I just don't get it.

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #4111 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:41am
Hi, SCL--I saw Bruce in Balto a few years back--he was AWESOME.  I saw Stones in Balto also.   I went to college in Balto, and Charm City will always have a special place in my heart.

But, in the last year, it had very serious police brutality infractions and resultant riots. 
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:46am by Factory Girl »  

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4112 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 7:59am
Factory Girl wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 10:41am:
Hi, SCL--I saw Bruce in Balto a few years back--he was AWESOME.  I saw Stones in Balto also.   I went to college in Balto, and Charm City will always have a special place in my heart.

But, in the last year, it had very serious police brutality infractions and resultant riots. 

Yeah I understand.

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #4113 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 10:47am
Charm City is a blue collar town, and Bruce is the champion of  the blue collar men and women.  Balto loves  Bruce, and he'll play his "hungry heart" out.   It will be a special show.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4114 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 1:55pm
Factory Girl wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 10:47am:
Charm City is a blue collar town, and Bruce is the champion of  the blue collar men and women.  Balto loves  Bruce, and he'll play his "hungry heart" out.   It will be a special show.

They all are. Saw 5 shows on this tour. Absolutely wonderful.  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #4115 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:33pm
Which shows did you see, and which one is your favorite?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4116 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 8:30am
Factory Girl wrote on Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:33pm:
Which shows did you see, and which one is your favorite?

Louisville
Cleveland
Oakland
LA#1,2
Louisville was probably my favorite, because its was the first show of the tour I went to and first time seeing him there. But they all had their moments. Although by the 5th show I did get a little tired of The River. If he come back for a second leg after Europe. I hope he drops the River and opens up the setlists.

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #4117 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 3:20pm
Yes, I understand about the River "overflowing".  I love the the River...but probably hearing it twice or thrice live is sufficient for me.

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #4118 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 12:37pm
God Bless Bruce.  He covered Purple Rain in Brooklyn in a tribute to Prince.

This must be an emotional tour for Springsteen with all the losses in music this year.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4119 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 2:43pm
Factory Girl wrote on Apr 24th, 2016 at 12:37pm:
God Bless Bruce.  He covered Purple Rain in Brooklyn in a tribute to Prince.

This must be an emotional tour for Springsteen with all the losses in music this year.   

Yeah I posted the vid in the Prince thread. They did a great job on it.  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #4120 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 4:08pm
Thanks, scl.  The Boss is a class act.

IP Logged

Eduardo BM Paiva
Rocks Off Regular

Brasil
Reply #4121 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 10:52am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF576If2U8o

Official Purple Rain video, posted on Bruce's channel on YouTube. Fucking awesome

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4122 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 1:08pm

http://backstreets.com/setlists.html

August 30 / MetLife Stadium / E. Rutherford, NJ

" Notes: The third night in the Meadowlands was a night of epics, of grandeur, of the E Street Band occupying the cavernous expanse of MetLife Stadium with the full range of their talent. It was also a night of hits, of the big songs you remember singing on the radio, the ones everyone remembers the best. And it would be another one for the record books, with Bruce breaking his own U.S. record yet again, with a show that clocked in at 4:01.
Night three kicked off the same as before, with the spectacle of "New York City Serenade" to open the show. It might seem like a curious choice for the opening song for a rock show held in a football stadium, but surprisingly, it just works. "Serenade" lived up to the promise of the recorded version: the performance was soaring and operatic, executed with intricate emotion and the kind of depth you wouldn't expect to experience in such a large venue. Roy Bittan was absolutely outstanding here (and for the entirety of the evening, for that matter) playing that rolling intro with his usual verve and brio. The rowdiest of bros fell silent quickly, wowed by the power in the performance — and this is why it works as the opener. It takes advantage of the generosity of the audience in those initial excited moments. Bruce's voice was strong and clear, impassioned and poignant, and he appeared happy and satisfied by the end of the song.
"We're going to play a bunch of things we didn't play the other two nights," Bruce announced, taking the band into "Blinded by the Light," which would be followed by a surprising string of favorites from the first two records. "Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?" would feature yet more sharp, incisive playing from Roy, while "It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City" — dedicated to "you New Yorkers" — was near-perfect, Bruce squaring off and facing Steve before peeling off an almost visible guitar line, tossing it to Steve for the next one, then back to Bruce again, then back to Steve, until the two blended together to drive the song to its conclusion.
"Spirit in the Night" led to a sign collection effort (most of which, like "Incident," had been soundchecked), out of which came "Summertime Blues." "4th of July, Asbury Park" was pretty much a perfect companion to that, Roy coming to the front of the stage, accordion in hand. "Who's from down the shore?" Bruce asked before launching into a warm, wistful recollection that felt immediate, like it wasn't something written more than 40 years ago. "Love me tonight, and I promise I'll love you forever," he sang, lingering on that last "forever," and it felt like a promise.
"Kitty's Back" was tight and swinging, Bruce conducting the individual solos with energy and enjoyment, swaying back and forth, gesturing with the beat. And just when we'd recovered from that, once again, Roy Bittan's hands fly across the keyboard, and here's Spanish Johnny and Puerto Rican Jane: "Incident On 57th Street." "Good night, it's alright, Jane," the audience sang, seemingly all the way up to the top of the stadium. It was beautiful, and ethereal, and at the end, the very end, the audience was singing along with Bruce, and then, of course, Roy came back in, a coda echoing that intro passage — we all know how it goes, that magic segue from "Incident" to "Rosalita." Usually, when "Incident" shows up in the set, Roy just wraps things up nicely, and the song ends. But tonight, he kept going, and going, and the song wasn't ending, and you could feel the collective anticipation of the diehards in the audience, everyone thinking, "Do it!" everyone thinking, "Oh, god, please, please, please...." And with this small grin, that "Yep, I know exactly what I'm doing" kind of smile, Bruce's hands hit the guitar strings and the audience's heads exploded as the band segued neatly into "Rosie." It's a lovely thing, having "Rosalita" in the middle of the set sometimes; it recharges the song's energy, it makes the band approach it differently, it makes you as an audience member interact with it in a new way.  "

Setlist:

New York City Serenade (with strings)
Blinded by the Light
Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?
It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City
Spirit in the Night (with Rickie Lee Jones)
Summertime Blues
4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
Kitty's Back
Incident on 57th Street
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Pretty Flamingo
Atlantic City
I'm Goin' Down
Darlington County
Working on the Highway
Downbound Train
I'm on Fire
Hungry Heart
Out in the Street
Living Proof
Candy's Room
She's the One
Because the Night
The Rising
Badlands
Secret Garden
Jungleland
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Twist and Shout
Glory Days
Shout
Jersey Girl

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4123 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 3:00pm
Greatest live act today.  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #4124 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 4:44pm
Last night's show was the best concert I have even seen in my life.  Almost four hours.

He dusted this one off for the 15th anniversary of 9/11.  Not a dry eye in the building.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)