Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 167
Send Topic Print
Anything Springsteen  on RO... Part 4a (Read 567,897 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Anything Springsteen  on RO... Part 4a
Reply #4050 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 9:21am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
'Cadillac Ranch' creator Stanley Marsh dies

Michael Winter, USA TODAY 8:42 p.m. EDT June 17, 2014

(Photo: Evans Caglage, The Dallas Morning News/AP)

The Texas multimillionaire art prankster and philanthropist who buried 10 Cadillacs nose up in the 1970s as "a monument to the American Dream" has died.

Stanley Marsh 3 -- he considered Roman numerals in names pretentious -- passed away Tuesday at age 76 in his hometown of Amarillo. He had been incapacitated by a series of strokes, the Amarillo Globe-News reported.

At the time of his death, the creative mind behind "Cadillac Ranch," along a stretch of Interstate 40 of the Panhandle, was fighting criminal charges filed last year that accused him of sexually molesting several teenage boys. In 2012, he settled lawsuits with two other teens who claimed he had paid them for sex.

Marsh inherited petroleum wealth but made his own fortune owning local TV stations. Far from being a stuffed-shirt businessman with a degree from the Wharton School, Marsh was a free-spirited oddball notorious for the high life and hijinks. An old friend once described him as "the most wonderful renegade that any of us had ever known."

The tail-fin tribute began with a 1949 Club Sedan and ended with a 1963 Sedan de Ville.(Photo: VOOM HD Networks)

In 1974 he commissioned "Cadillac Ranch," hiring San Francisco artists known as The Ant Farm to bury a westward-facing line of cars in a bone-dry field beside old Route 66. The tail-fin tribute begins with a 1949 Club Sedan and ends with a 1963 Sedan de Ville, all bought from used-car lots, private owners or junkyards. They allegedly tilt at the same angle as the Great Pyramid of Giza.

In 1997, they were moved about a mile west and repainted once again. Today the cars are battered, graffitied hulks long ago stripped of their parts.

Some of Marsh's other public artworks include a painted mesa that appears to be floating in the air, the "Giant Phantom Soft Pool Table" that can only be seen from an aircraft, and the "Dynamite Museum," a series of 200 absurd traffic signs around Amarillo. Examples: "Road Does Not End"; "I Have Traveled a Great Deal in Amarillo"; "I Don't Suppose Anyone Has a Tomato?"; "It Begins With a Hanging"; "What Is a Village Without Village Idiots?"and "My Grandmother Can Whip Your Grandmother."

"Art is a legalized form of insanity, and I do it very well," he once said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/17/cadillac-ranch-creator-stan...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4051 - Aug 28th, 2014 at 9:24am
Springsteen at the New Orleans Municipal Auditorium sometime during the late '70s:

http://www.nola.com/katrina/index.ssf/2014/08/revisit_municipal_auditorium_i.htm...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4052 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 11:23am

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4053 - Nov 1st, 2014 at 8:57pm
Even the rumors have dried up. When the hell are you going to tour Bruce? Oh no! not you again

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #4054 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 7:37pm
I think that Mojoman posted this...but here is an interveiw with the NY times book editor and Bruce...talking...what else? Books?

Guess what his fave are...guess what his desert island literary picks are...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/books/review/bruce-springsteen-by-the-book.htm...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4055 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 6:46am
Interesting piece - many thanks

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Bluzdude
Rocks Off Regular

I'm here-that's all that
matters. Rocks Off Rules!

Los Angeles
Reply #4056 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 11:44pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Nov 1st, 2014 at 8:57pm:
Even the rumors have dried up. When the hell are you going to tour Bruce? Oh no! not you again

I did hear Nils say in an interview a couple months ago that he expects the band to take a considerable time off.

...Well, I think 6 months is considerable enough Shut the fuck up now

I'll be ready for Bruce (& the E street Gang) the second half of next year...
...sweetcharmedlife, I know that's a lifetime for you...but look at it this way, more time to save the $$$

...It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4057 - Nov 4th, 2014 at 5:55pm
Bluzdude wrote on Nov 3rd, 2014 at 11:44pm:

I did hear Nils say in an interview a couple months ago that he expects the band to take a considerable time off.

...Well, I think 6 months is considerable enough Shut the fuck up now

I'll be ready for Bruce (& the E street Gang) the second half of next year...
...sweetcharmedlife, I know that's a lifetime for you...but look at it this way, more time to save the $$$

We need a fucking tour!  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? Stinky post

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4058 - Nov 4th, 2014 at 6:12pm
http://www.usatoday.com/story/nation/2014/11/04/veterans-lincoln-awards-springst...

Nice job, Bruce.... not bad for an unpatriotic Commie who apparently hates his country, I suppose.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4059 - Nov 4th, 2014 at 6:14pm

I remember meeting Nils at a show of his in November 2006 and asking him much the same thing and (obviously toeing the party line) he said there were 'no plans'

They were recording 'Magic' a couple of months later and were touring behind it within the year.

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4060 - Nov 5th, 2014 at 8:57pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 4th, 2014 at 6:14pm:

I remember meeting Nils at a show of his in November 2006 and asking him much the same thing and (obviously toeing the party line) he said there were 'no plans'

They were recording 'Magic' a couple of months later and were touring behind it within the year.

Well him and Jake both have Euro shows scheduled through early next year I believe. We'll see. He has kicked off tours in April in recent years. So if we don't hear anything by January. It probably means a late summer early fall start next year. he is dong a benefit in New York tonight. No stream unfortunately.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4061 - Nov 17th, 2014 at 4:57pm
HIGHER AND HIGHER
Springsteen's concert recordings and high-resolution releases initiatives get serious
November 17, 2014

An already auspicious week in Springsteen catalog news just got better with the announcement of live.brucespringsteen.net, a new addition to the official website offering high-quality live concert recordings as well as high-resolution digital releases of the Springsteen album catalog. It's powered by nugs.net, best known for its industry-leading work in the live download space with artists like Pearl Jam, Phish and Metallica, in cooperation with Columbia Records.

The new site launches today with the expanded re-release of 30 concerts recorded on this year's High Hopes tour, plus the first in a collectors' dream come true: a planned series of vault releases that kicks off with the Apollo Theater, New York, NY, March 9, 2012 [right].

The High Hopes shows were available for a limited time through Springsteen's Live Nation store before being sunsetted at the end of June. The new release adds key additional formats including three-CD sets and high-resolution, 24-bit downloads, as well as MP3s and lossless, CD-quality downloads.

Nugs.net founder and CEO Brad Serling talked to Backstreets about the start of a new partnership that has massive implications for fans of Springsteen's past and future live recordings. High hopes indeed.

The story begins more than five years ago, when it was announced that Bruce would make his first appearance at Bonnaroo.

"In January of 2009," Serling recalls, "I cold-called Landau's office because the Bonnaroo line-up for that year was Phish and Bruce Springsteen. We knew we'd be doing Phish, and we were already doing a live Bonnaroo program. I called out of the blue and asked if this was something Bruce would be interested in doing, as an on-going program like what we do with Metallica. They politely said, 'Thanks, but no thanks. It's not something Bruce would ever go for.' Which is the same kind of answer I've gotten from lots of artists."

Fast-forward five years and Serling sees the news of Springsteen entering the concert download space, albeit with an initial mixed reaction to elements like the USB wristband that had some fans posting, "Why don't you do what Pearl Jam and Phish do?" Serling says that soon thereafter, he got word that he should reach out to Landau's office again. "Long story short, we had a series of calls, then we went to New York for a meeting with Jon, Barbara, Jan and everyone. We thought it was going to be a half-hour meeting and we were there for three-and-a-half hours. It was a meeting of the minds. Unbelievable, like meeting a kindred spirit."

"The one question that we had," Serling offers, speaking for many fans, "was why now? We spoke to you five years ago. What changed? It was Bruce looking at YouTube and seeing fan-generated content from his recent shows, as well as archival stuff. And he was like, 'We can do better than this. We own the masters!' What's great is, he wasn't saying, 'Fuck those guys. Take that stuff down. Screw YouTube.' It was, 'If this is happening, we should be doing it officially.'"

And with that, a new partnership was born, though Serling is quick to point out that it couldn't have happened without commendable cooperation from Columbia and Sony.

"Sony really bent over backwards to accommodate us on this project," he says. "They gave us their blessing to release the live recordings directly on Bruce's site, and they licensed Bruce's catalog to us to sell direct-to-fan, which is really unprecedented for a major label and a marquee artist."

The return of the High Hopes shows in superior quality (and on CD), the promise of even better live downloads on future tours and the official release of the Apollo is all great news, but what many fans most eagerly anticipate is the potential of true vault releases.

Serling is excited and justifiably cautious about the topic, as plans are still coming together. But he did share a few tantalizing tidbits. "We know, of course, that fans want to dig deep," he says, adding that there's a working list of 30 shows "spanning Bruce's entire career" under consideration, and, by way of example, he confides a healthy percentage of them are circa 1973-78.

"It's very exciting to think about the different eras that will be covered. And what's really interesting is where the tapes are coming from. What's in the vault, what isn't. Not all of it is in their archives, so they are sourcing material now."

The ubers among us will be pleased to hear multi-track recordings, true soundboards, and radio broadcasts are all in the mix. "Nothing's off the table," says Serling, conceding even audience tapes have been used to patch gaps in prior releases from the Grateful Dead and Phish. While he was admirably tight-lipped about what shows are on the list, his history with those artists gives an indication of what to expect. And while it might seem somewhat counter-intuitive, his common-sense approach is likely spot on.

Serling told Landau his experience suggests the best-selling vault titles are the most widely circulated tapes. That's been true of the Dead and of Phish. "Our biggest archive releases are the ones that were most widely traded," he explains. "There's a simple reason for that: Free advertising. The one everyone already knows is the one everyone's going to buy the moment it goes on sale. It doesn't take a marketing genius to figure that out.

"The thing that you have to get over as an artist is just because everyone has it doesn't mean they don't want to buy it. And I don't mean that in any crass or commercial way. It's just that those shows are what's [top of mind], and fans are going to get very excited about the one that was the favorite tape in their collection for many years. That's apparent in what they are considering; it doesn't mean that's all they're working on, but there's a lot of overlap there."

The new live store will also serve as a retailer for high-resolution downloads of Springsteen's catalog albums through the nugs.net platform. To start, 24/48 versions of the first seven albums — the remastered Plangent transfers also available today in CD and vinyl box sets — will be available, along with other albums already mastered for the 24/48 format including We Shall Overcome - The Seeger Sessions, Working on a Dream and The Promise. Expect all on-going high-resolution releases to be available there.

As mentioned above, the High Hopes shows are also being made available (in the same mixes and mastering as the initial releases) for the first time as high-resolution, 24/48 FLAC files, and Serling assures us he is committed to high-res formats long-term. "We will always release the highest-quality source available," he says. "In the case of the 2014 shows, John Cooper recorded them live at 24/48, so that's what we're releasing. Similarly, the Apollo show was recorded at 24/48, but later mixed by Bob Clearmountain and recently mastered for release by Bob Ludwig."

Why was the Apollo chosen as the inaugural release? "Frankly, when you're fortunate enough to sign a deal with Bruce Springsteen," Serling says with a laugh, "you don't really argue with his choice for the first release from his archives! What I've found with any actively touring artist, big or small, is that recent always trumps older in the artist's mind.  There's an afterglow of big moments in the near-rear-view mirror that are more meaningful to them than the glories of the distant past."

But more vault titles are coming, rest assured, the only question is when? That timing is dependent on a number of factors including the unknown of when Bruce gets back on the road, which would switch focus back to new shows. But Serling hopes to see releases happen at regular intervals as is common with other nugs.net bands.

One thing that's very apparent throughout the conversation is that the voice of the fan has been heard, which is part of why nugs.net is now the platform of record. There's an "open loop" with the fans, Serling says, and the feedback, good and bad, is having an impact.

That Serling runs the most successful concert release platform is true to his roots as a taper of the Grateful Dead himself back in the day, bringing his deck and mics to shows in the '80s and '90s. Beyond the Dead, he grew up in Philadelphia listening to classic rock on WMMR and WYSP, on both of which Springsteen's music was a constant.

Ironically, it wasn't his Dead tapes, but the release of Springsteen's own Live 1975-85 in 1986 that first got Serling thinking about mass distribution of vault recordings. "A rock artist putting out a retrospective of their live material in a five-LP box, it was mind blowing," he says. After that, "a little light went off in my head."

- November 17, 2014 - Erik Flannigan reporting

http://backstreets.com/higher.html

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4062 - Nov 17th, 2014 at 5:00pm
From the site: "What is Live.BruceSpringsteen.net?
Live Bruce Springsteen is a service to deliver high quality, professionally recorded Bruce Springsteen concerts direct to fans via Bruce Springsteen's own web site. Shows are available in multiple download formats, including MP3, Lossless CD-Quality FLAC and ALAC, as well as HD 24 bit Lossless formats. Each show is also available on CD with custom artwork. The Springsteen album catalog is also available, including many albums in HD 24 bit Lossless formats.

How much does it cost?
The price of each show is based on format and length. Each show and album is available in multiple formats (from "good' to "better" to "best"): MP3, Lossless FLAC and Apple Lossless (ALAC) and HD 24 Bit Lossless (FLAC-HD and ALAC-HD). MP3 shows are typically $9.95, Lossless shows $12.95, and HD shows $19.95. Shows are also available as 3 CD sets, typically priced at $23.00."

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4063 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 7:33pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 17th, 2014 at 5:00pm:
From the site: "What is Live.BruceSpringsteen.net?
Live Bruce Springsteen is a service to deliver high quality, professionally recorded Bruce Springsteen concerts direct to fans via Bruce Springsteen's own web site. Shows are available in multiple download formats, including MP3, Lossless CD-Quality FLAC and ALAC, as well as HD 24 bit Lossless formats. Each show is also available on CD with custom artwork. The Springsteen album catalog is also available, including many albums in HD 24 bit Lossless formats.

How much does it cost?
The price of each show is based on format and length. Each show and album is available in multiple formats (from "good' to "better" to "best"): MP3, Lossless FLAC and Apple Lossless (ALAC) and HD 24 Bit Lossless (FLAC-HD and ALAC-HD). MP3 shows are typically $9.95, Lossless shows $12.95, and HD shows $19.95. Shows are also available as 3 CD sets, typically priced at $23.00."

Kudos to Inc for doing this. Certainly the wave of the future in the business. As someone who hasn't mastered the whole downloading thing. Having these available in CD form as well is really cool.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4064 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 7:38pm
I see that theyre actually offering all 30-odd shows from 2014 as a package, for a discounted price

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4065 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 8:34pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 18th, 2014 at 7:38pm:
I see that theyre actually offering all 30-odd shows from 2014 as a package, for a discounted price

I'd pay more if they cut out WOASD.  Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED)

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4066 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 1:18pm
Not sure if anyone saw the report yesterday about a Wikileaks feature that revealed that Bruce's contract at Sony has been extended to 2027, when he turns 78 years of age.

A Sony e-mail described him as 'an artist we cannot afford to lose' and revealed that whilst Bruce made $101 million out of the recently expired deal which ran from 2005 to this year and which was 'much larger' than the new one, Sony STILL managed to profit by $72 million. Thats incredible money for an industry in serious decline and a real bargain by the record company.

Of more relevance to fans though is the info gleaned by a couple of fans who managed to view the fine print on the leaked PDF document as it gives us an inkling of what we can expect in the next few years., And its worth salivating over...

13 TOTAL new albums
1) 4 studio albums ($4 million advance)
2) 5 live albums (of higher audio quality than Live Download Series) ($600K advance for each)
3) a 3-4 disc Tracks 2 ($2.5 million advance)
4) A 3-disc Nebraska Box Set ($1 mil advance)
5) A 3-disc Born in the USA Box Set, coming this year ($2.75 mil advance)
6) A 3-disc River Box Set, coming in 2017 ($2.75 mil advance)

-- The box sets must be at least 6 months apart
-- The new studio albums have to be at least 12 months apart
-- NO Greatest Hits album
-- Live downloads are included in the new deal, with Sony making 12.5% of gross
2.75 mill advance for bitusa box set and river
1 mill advance for Nebraska
600 k each live album advance
2.5 million for tracks 2 box set
Bruce has already been paid the advance for all of these
800 k minimum marketing budget for every studio release.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #4067 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 9:10pm
That's a sweet deal!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4068 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 2:48pm
Bruce putting the Wonder into the Wonder Bar in New Jersey last night.
http://blog.nj.com/springsteen/2015/07/bruce_springsteen_joins_joe_gr.html

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #4069 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 5:53pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 2:48pm:
Bruce putting the Wonder into the Wonder Bar in New Jersey last night.
http://blog.nj.com/springsteen/2015/07/bruce_springsteen_joins_joe_gr.html

https://youtu.be/f-Z__ZT3hBQ

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4070 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 6:15pm

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4071 - Sep 3rd, 2015 at 5:33am
How Chuck Berry Sabotaged Bruce Springsteen at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Opening Night

By Annie Zaleski September 2, 2015 9:52 AM

Bruce Springsteen and Chuck Berry have plenty of shared history. The former backed up the latter in the ’70s, as the Boss once recalled – an experience that challenged the young musician’s ability to think on his feet. “About five minutes before the show was timed to start, the backdoor opens and he comes in. He’s by himself. He’s got a guitar case, and that was it,” Springsteen said. “[I said] ‘Chuck, what songs are we going to do?’ He says, ‘Well, we’re going to do some Chuck Berry songs.’ That was all he said!”

Two decades later, when Springsteen and the E Street Band backed up Berry at the Concert For The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Sept. 2, 1995, things hadn’t changed much. The show-opening performance of “Johnny B. Goode” felt a little wobbly, something underscored by the somewhat bemused looks cameras caught the bandmates giving each other. However, things could get worse: In a recent interview with the Hall of Fame, E Street guitarist Nils Lofgren recalls playing with Berry at the concert as part of an all-star jam, along with Springsteen, G.E. Smith, Steven Van Zandt and Chrissie Hynde, among others.

Going by set lists, the final song of the night was supposed to be “Rock and Roll Music.” By this time, the concert had been going for nearly seven hours, which perhaps explains partly why Lofgen says the performance was “real free-form. … We’re just going to do something off the cuff.” True to form, Berry started playing before letting the other musicians onstage know what song was coming next — and that’s where things got interesting.

“Somehow, a minute or two in, he like … shifts the song in gears and a key without talking to us,” Lofgren says. “Now, we all … okay, we’re pros, right? So, we’re all like … trying not to make a train wreck, and it’s tricky. Okay, what key is he in? Let’s start playing there.”

Berry continued shifting keys — four or five times, the guitarist reckons — for reasons Lofgren can only surmise were “to mess with us. I can’t imagine why else this happened. We’re all looking around at each other, the cast of characters and the backup band; these are pros, decades in. We are making these horrible sounds, collectively, in front of a stadium, sold out. We’re looking at each other like, ‘This can’t be happening, right? We’re not creating this thing we’re listening to. Yes, we are.’”

Just when he thought things couldn’t get worse, they did. “At the height of it, when no one has any idea how to fix this, Chuck looks at us all and starts … looking at us, duck walking off the stage, away from us,” Lofgren says. “He leaves the stage, leaves us all out there playing in six different keys with no band leader, gets in the car and drives away. Now if that’s not rock ‘n’ roll … and, I love Chuck Berry, but man … ”

Afterward, Lofgren and Springsteen discussed what had just happened — “I don’t think the two of us have ever participated in something that godawful musically since we were probably 13 or 14. I didn’t even start playing until I was 14” — but managed to find the humor in the musical catastrophe.

“The fact that we did that in a stadium, in an event like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opening; it was just so insane and absurd and bad, that we got into one of those laughing jags where you can’t stop laughing, we were howling,” Lofgren says. “When we could barely talk, we would explain another awful thing that happened with Chuck as our leader. It was just hilarious and awful all at once.”

Read More: How Chuck Berry Sabotaged Bruce Springsteen at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Opening Night | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chuck-berry-bruce-springsteen-rock-hall/?utm_sour...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4072 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 4:05pm

OCTOBER 15, 2015
‘THE TIES THAT BIND: THE RIVER COLLECTION’ 4CD/3DVD BOX SET OUT DECEMBER 4TH

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen’s ‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ on December 4th.  A comprehensive look at ‘The River’ era, the set contains 52 tracks on 4 CDs with a wealth of unreleased material, and 4 hours of never-before-seen video on 3 DVDs. It is comprised of the original ‘The River’ double album; the first official release of ‘The River: Single Album;’ a CD of 1979/80 studio outtakes; a two-DVD film of never-released, newly edited multi-camera footage from Springsteen’s famed 1980 show in Tempe, AZ, long rumored but never-before-seen; rare tour rehearsal footage; a brand new documentary “The Ties That Bind” about ‘The River;’ and a coffee table book of 200 rare or previously unseen photos and memorabilia with a new essay by Mikal Gilmore.

‘The River,’ Springsteen’s fifth album, was released on October 17, 1980 as a double album and reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart. In his notes, Gilmore calls ‘The River’ Springsteen’s “pivotal album—[the] hinge between the ambitious commotions that had preceded it and the more succinct musical riots, and sometimes terrifying storytelling, that followed.”

‘The River: Single Album’ is the 10-track album that Springsteen recorded in 1979 as a follow up to 1978’s ‘Darkness On The Edge Of Town’ but never released. “The songs lacked the kind of unity and conceptual intensity I liked my music to have. So we went back in the studio,” he wrote in the lyrics/photo book “Songs.” The early sessions marked the beginning of a prolific 18-month long journey of writing and recording. Seven of the 10 titles on ‘The River: Single Album’ eventually appeared on ‘The River,’ some with alternate lyrics and arrangements, with outtakes like “Cindy” and a rockabilly version of “You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)” never released. Now for the first time ‘The River: Single Album’ will be officially available.

The fourth CD on the box set is ‘The River: Outtakes,’ which spans the entire ‘The River’ sessions in 1979 and 1980 and illustrate the depth and variety of Springsteen’s work during this period. Eleven songs are rarities that have never been released before, and for the most part are completely unheard and unknown even to fans, who have long considered Springsteen’s outtakes to be treasured secrets.

“The Ties That Bind” is a brand new 60-minute documentary produced and directed by Grammy and Emmy-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny that features an intimate interview with Springsteen as he reflects on the tumultuous, extended period writing and recording ‘The River.’ The film transitions between Springsteen telling the stories behind the music — and illustrating them with solo acoustic guitar performances — interspersed with period concert footage and rare photos of Bruce and the band in and out of the studio.

The final video component is “Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band: The River Tour, Tempe 1980,” a new film produced from footage professionally filmed in 1980 using four cameras and recorded in multitrack audio. The film features 24 songs — 2 hours, 40 minutes — on 2 DVDs from Springsteen’s November 5, 1980 concert at Arizona State University in Tempe, AZ. Widely regarded as one of Springsteen’s finest performances, this intense show features early live versions of over half of ‘The River’ songs. Also included is 20 minutes of footage from the late September, 1980 River Tour rehearsals held in Lititz, PA, showing Springsteen and The E Street Band working through live arrangements of what was then unreleased material from the upcoming album.

‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ is packaged in a 10” x 12” box with a hardcover 148-page coffee table book containing 200 studio and live photographs — most of which have never been seen before — plus pages from Springsteen’s notebooks, single covers, images and outtakes from the original album package, and other memorabilia documenting the album.

‘The Ties That Bind: The River Collection’ is available for pre-order at Amazon (4CD/3DVDs or 4CD/2Blu-ray) and iTunes.

http://brucespringsteen.net/

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4073 - Oct 16th, 2015 at 4:14pm
LET IT ROLL: SEVEN-DISC BOX SET
TO PLUMB THE DEPTHS OF THE RIVER

The Ties That Bind: The River Collection coming December 4
October 16, 2015

On the eve of the 35th anniversary of The River — Bruce Springsteen's 20-song double-LP was released on October 17, 1980 — comes the long-awaited news that Bruce's first #1 album will appear as part of a massive box set in time for the holidays. For longtime fans, the big draws will be more than two-and-a-half hours of stunning, multi-camera concert footage from the River tour's stop in Tempe, Arizona, and 11 previously unreleased studio outtakes.

These elements are part of The Ties That Bind: The River Collection, a multi-disc collection due December 4 that follows in the tradition of Born to Run 30th Anniversary Edition and The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story. Like those box sets, the 4-CD/3-DVD The Ties That Bind gathers remastered audio for the album itself along with never-before-seen concert footage and a Thom Zimny documentary; like The Promise, it also includes previously unreleased studio outtakes from the album sessions. All of these elements will be housed with a coffee table book in a 10" x 12" box. A Blu-ray edition will consist of four CDs and two Blu-ray discs.

The audio: 52 tracks on four CDs, including the original The River double album (CDs 1 & 2); the first official release of 1979's The River: Single Album (CD 3); and a disc of 22 studio outtakes from 1979/80 (CD 4), half of which are previously unreleased.

The video: a newly edited film of never-released, multi-camera footage from Springsteen's famed November 5, 1980 show in Arizona — a particularly intense performance, the day after Ronald Reagan was elected president — with a running time of 2:40; rare tour rehearsal footage of five songs; and a new 60-minute documentary about The River, titled The Ties That Bind.

The set comes with a 148-page coffee table book picturing pages from Springsteen's notebooks, River-era memorabilia, and 200 rare or previously unseen photos, both studio and live, from photographers including Joel Bernstein, David Gahr, Jim Marchese, and Frank Stefanko. Text includes an updated Songs essay from Springsteen and a new essay by Mikal Gilmore, who describes The River as "pivotal... [the] hinge between the ambitious commotions that had preceded it and the more succinct musical riots, and sometimes terrifying storytelling, that followed."

Let's take a look inside the box.

CD 1 & 2: The River
This, you already know (and likely already have), but they couldn't really do a box without it. As with the Born to Run and Darkness sets, the Ties That Bind box lays the foundation with the full, original album — in this case, the 2014 remaster that was first released as part of The Album Collection Vol. 1: 1973-1984.

CD 3: The River: Single Album

Springsteen's follow-up to Darkness on the Edge of Town wasn't always envisioned as a double album. In 1979, a single album was deemed complete and even turned in to Columbia Records before Bruce changed his mind and returned to writing and recording. This CD is what could have been and, in fact, almost was.

Fans have long referred to this early configuration as The Ties That Bind, based on an early cover mockup and the song's leadoff placement (where it would also appear on the 1980 double LP). Though this marks its first official release, the 1979 single album circulated on bootlegs for years [pictured here, the box for the Power Station reel that was discovered at a record show two decades ago] as a highly regarded record-that-never was, with alternate takes, arrangements, and altogether unique songs.

As Bruce tells the story in Songs:

...All the years I'd been performing, I'd often start the show with something that sounded like it came out of the garage. In the past, these were the kinds of songs that fell by the wayside when we went into the studio to record. For The River, I wanted to make sure this part of what I did wouldn't get lost.

After some recording we prepared a single album and handed it in to the record company. When I listened to it later on, I felt that it just wasn't good enough. The songs lacked the kind of unity and conceptual intensity I liked my music to have. So we went back into the studio and another year went by.... We decided to make The River a double record. I'd try for the best of both worlds: more pop songs in a looser conceptual framework.

This ten-track lineup shares plenty of DNA with what Bruce ultimately released in 1980, as evidenced by many familiar song titles:

1. The Ties That Bind   
2. Cindy                        
3. Hungry Heart            
4. Stolen Car (Vs.1)                
5. Be True                     
6. The River                  
7. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) (Vs. 1) 
8. The Price You Pay   
9. I Wanna Marry You 
10. Loose End

But particularly for those fans already very familiar with River material, there's quite a bit different here, from alternate mixes to completely different arrangements to songs unique to this collection. "Cindy" somehow missed being on Tracks or disc three of Essential, as did the rockabilly arrangement of "You Can Look." This sublime "Version 1" of "Stolen Car," vastly different from its counterpart on The River, did see the light of day on Tracks, as did "Be True" (previously the "Fade Away" B-side) and "Loose End" (note here the dropped final "s," likely Springsteen's original intent). There is also a noteworthy difference in "The Price You Pay," which features an alternate verse that Springsteen dropped for the album but revived on the 1980-81 tour, and even a subtle melody shift in the chorus of "The Ties That Bind."

These tracks were recorded at the Power Station in New York and mixed there by Bob Clearmountain, and recently transferred to digital via the Plangent Process for this release.

- The Power Station, New York, NY - photograph by David Gahr

CD 4: The River: Outtakes
The final CD gathers 22 tracks that didn't make the cut for either the single- or double-album versions of The River. Half of these have never been released, and the CD is divided accordingly, with those 11 tracks lined up first as "Record One":

1. Meet Me in the City 
2. The Man Who Got Away    
3. Little White Lies   
4. The Time That Never Was            
5. Night Fire   
6. Whitetown    
7. Chain Lightning      
8. Party Lights    
9. Paradise By the "C"   
10. Stray Bullet    
11. Mr. Outside            

While Bruce and the E Street Band performed "Paradise by the 'C'" in concert in 1978 and 1988 (and a live version is on Live/1975-85), a studio recording has never surfaced. The remaining ten songs will be heard here for the first time, never performed live or released, and in most cases only known as titles glimpsed on one of Springsteen's notebook pages.

Springsteen's outtakes often illuminate his songwriting process, the way he reworks lyrics and themes, borrowing from one song for another, and these are no exception. "Little White Lies" is a close lyrical cousin of "Loose End," the songs sharing numerous lines; you'll also find elements of "Point Blank" in "Party Lights," along with lyrics that Springsteen would go on to work into his live version of Tom Waits' "Jersey Girl." We'll also also meet Billy, Mary Ann, Johnny, and of course, Mr. Outside — the last of these from disc four's lone solo demo. The first ten tracks were recorded at the Power Station with the E Street Band.

Here's the leadoff track, "Meet Me in the City":

The back half of CD 4, considered "Record Two," gathers River-era songs from other titles, so that The Ties That Bind has all released 1979-'80 outtakes in one place:

12. Roulette   
13. Restless Nights   
14. Where The Bands Are 
15. Dollhouse               
16. Living On The Edge Of The World            
17. Take 'em As They Come
18. Ricky Wants A Man Of Her Own   
19. I Wanna Be With You 
20. Mary Lou   
21. Held Up Without A Gun
22. From Small Things (Big Things One Day Come)

The majority of these surfaced officially on 1998's Tracks, where they formed the bulk of the second disc — a stellar collection of songs and a frontrunner for Steven Van Zandt's favorite Springsteen "album." (The only River outtakes from Tracks not here on CD4 are already part of CD3: "Be True," "Stolen Car," and "Loose End.") "Held Up Without a Gun" was the B-side to "Hungry Heart," a studio version that had yet to make it to CD; a live version was released on 2003's The Essential Bruce Springsteen. "From Small Things" first appeared on Essential.

- still from The Ties That Bind - Director of Photography: Antonio Rossi

DVD/Blu-ray: The Ties That Bind: A Film By Thom Zimny
Produced and directed by Zimny, the 60-minute The Ties That Bind documentary features an intimate interview with Springsteen as he reflects on the tumultuous, extended period writing and recording The River. Zimny and DP Antonio Rossi captured Bruce in a private setting — his farmhouse kitchen, the backyard — in black T-shirt and jeans, telling stories behind the music of The River and illustrating his reflections with solo acoustic guitar performances.

"It's not the same journey as the Darkness film, in terms of studio stories," Zimny tells Backstreets. "It's a much more personal take on what he was going through at the time, in his own life, and how that's reflected in the struggles his characters are dealing with, like marriage and children."

"At the time I was poring through a variety of history books, just to contextualize myself," Bruce says in the doc. "I wanted to understand where I came from and what that meant... I devoured quite a few history books, just trying to get a sense of where everything came from." He also describes where The River's songs came from, along the way giving an acoustic reading of "Independence Day" ("part of a series of songs about my dad that weren't completely autobiographical, but were emotionally autobiographical") and a crucial portion of "Point Blank" ("that song makes its bones in the last verse").

Springsteen's capacity for observation rarely disappoints, and there's meat here for even fans who've been immersed in this material for decades — as when he notes that "the four songs on the last side of the record are all summational... they are all goodbyes, in one style or another." He describes the "quiet reckoning" of "Wreck on the Highway" before going into a performance of the album's final track.

The modern footage is interspersed with period concert film — camera angles Zimny didn't use in his Tempe cut, for instance — and rare photos of Bruce and the band in and out of the studio. The stills are an effective solution to what was originally seen as a sticking point: as Jon Landau pointed out a few years back, one challenge of making a River documentary was that they don't have the kind of in-studio footage that Barry Rebo shot for Born to Run and Darkness. But the wealth of never-before-seen photographs provides potent visual counterpoint to Bruce's recollections of the period.

"We really dug deep," Zimny says of looking for images for the doc. "Joel Bernstein opened up his full archive to us — we went through hundreds of stills. Jim Marchese, he was on tour with Bruce in '81... Davd Gahr has some amazing images. There are just so many shots I'd never seen before, gathering up this archive, the stills were just a dream to work with."

"It's just a very different feel from being in a studio listening to playback," the director rightly observes of his third album documentary. "Not having engineers or other voices come in gives it a very personal feel. It's powerful. It's a different approach to telling the story."

- photograph by Joel Bernstein

DVD/Blu-ray: The River Tour, Tempe 1980
A true diamond from the Thrill Hill Vault, Tempe 1980 continues the tradition from the Born to Run and Darkness box sets of a previously unseen concert film from the era in question. It's also a step up. While the Hammersmith '75 and Houston '78 films are astonishing historical documents in their own right, considered as concert films, neither quite hit all the marks. Hammersmith is dark, with subdued lighting and tight shots that make it at times difficult to get a sense of what's happening on stage. Houston, as its subtitle noted, was a house cut: as captured by the venue at the time, it was a set-in-stone piece before Thrill Hill even got their hands on it, with no room for editing choices.

Enter Tempe. Shot professionally by a four-camera crew and newly edited by Thom Zimny, this new 24-song concert film brings the E Street Band fully into the light. The audio was mixed in Stereo and 5.1 surround by Bob Clearmountain from the original multitrack recordings. For so many of us whose main visual experience of the River tour has been via photographs, looking up at Springsteen under Marc Brickman's lights, this plays as a photo come to life. A far cry from the muted colors and relatively static camera work of Largo 1980 — another house cut, and to date the best video that has circulated from the period — Tempe 1980 feels vital and dynamic. Cutting together footage from four well-placed cameras, Zimny is able to capture the details of what's happening on stage — lingering on a look, a dance move, a moment of communication among the band — and also pull back and go wide, or cut to a shot of the crowd for a real sense of being in the building.

Zimny, himself a longtime fan, was amazed at the footage, describing to Backstreets his own excitement over "getting to see the 'Cadillac Ranch' breakdown, the beginning of 'I Wanna Marry You,' a lot of those 'bootleg moments' that you just never saw. And hearing it with the Clearmountain mix is intense."

1. Born to Run
2. Prove It All Night
3. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
4. Jackson Cage
5. Two Hearts
6. The Promised Land
7. Out in the Street
8. The River
9. Badlands
10. Thunder Road
11. No Money Down
12. Cadillac Ranch
13. Hungry Heart
14. Fire
15. Sherry Darling
16. I Wanna Marry You
17. Crush on You
18. Ramrod
19. You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
20. Drive All Night
21. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
22. I'm a Rocker
23. Jungleland
24. Detroit Medley

If Hammersmith and Houston have anything on Tempe, it's that they're complete documents. While the film runs well over two-and-a-half hours, and 24 songs doesn't feel skimpy, this is not the full show as performed in Arizona that night. Asked the reason why, Zimny gives a reason that's hard to argue with: more footage simply doesn't exist.

"All the footage that was available from Tempe was used," Zimny tells us. "No one, for instance, cut 'Racing in the Street' because they didn't like it — there was no editing in that sense. We used every frame of what we had available, down to the DVD menus."

As Zimny explains, the intent behind getting a film crew to Arizona 35 years ago was never for a concert film, but more likely for publicity purposes. "There were no DVDs, no streaming, no real concert film market at that point. There were no plans for this in the '80s to be released as a concert." He likens it to the Phoenix '78 filming that resulted in the "Rosalita" music video: "It was used for commericals. It was just cut up."

Illustrating his point, here's how they made use of the Tempe footage six years after filming (look for the sportcoat and sideburns):

"Really, we got lucky that this was documented at all," Zimny says, "to have this much, since there was never a plan for this to be representative of a full show."

Viewed in that light, we have to wonder, then, why so much was captured, and so well. Zimny laughs and mentions George Travis, Springsteen's longtime Tour Director, who was also on the scene at the time and whom Thom spotted in the Tempe footage. "Until that minute, I wondered that myself: why was it so well-covered when there was no demand for it at the time? This four-camera beauty, all the cameras being in the right places.... I didn't know why it wound up being so great. And then I saw that George was there, and I knew."

DVD/Blu-ray: The River Tour Rehearsals
A bonus from the Thrill Hill Vault, this is five songs as rehearsed by Bruce and the E Street Band at Clair Brothers Audio in Lititz, PA, in late September, prior to the start of the 1980-'81 tour. While rehearsal video from Lititz has circulated previously, this footage is superior — close up, sharp, with crisp sound — and just plain more interesting than what we've seen. "Ramrod, "Crush on You," and "Sherry Darling" are totally new to us.

1. Ramrod
2. Cadillac Ranch
3. Fire
4. Crush On You
5. Sherry Darling

We're sure to get advance tastes of The Ties That Bind: The River Collection between now and December 4; on iTunes, "Meet Me in the City" is already available for individual purchase. Other than digital tracks, however, we don't expect individual components to be broken out and sold seperately as with Hammersmith and The Promise; as one source close to the project tells us, "Even more than the previous box sets, these pieces are really meant to fit together, to tell the full story of The River."
- Christopher Phillips reporting

http://www.backstreets.com/TTTB.html
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2015 at 4:16pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #4074 - Oct 17th, 2015 at 4:01am
I'll be buying this bastid.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 167
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)